Adventures In Dish Hunting 2013

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

beavs2112

Addicted to Legal FTA
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
London Ontario Canada
Made arrangements today to pickup 3 dishes on Thursday with a 6x12 utility trailer :)
Dish #1 (Pic 1) is an 8 foot Prodelin fiberglass buttonhook.
Dish #2&3 (pic 2&3) are a perforated 10 foot. Not sure who made them but I'll find out Thursday.

Dish # 4 (pic 4,5,6) is a 9.5 foot stainless steel solid ...(drooling). I think it's a Kaul-Tronics Nova SS-112?
I left my info with the owner. If I'm lucky I'll bag that one also.

Kevin

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 283
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 276
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 261
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Pic 6.jpg
    Pic 6.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 259
Dish #1 looks like it has a slight tree problem, but otherwise a good dish. The button hook allows for more flexibility in lnb adjustment.
#2 looks good and is at near sun outage with the shadow of the lnb mount almost at center at the time of the photo. Just a few more days.
#3 stainless steel wow. Looks like it's had some high wind stress at the four mount points. Some in, some outward. Probably ok for C-band, but I wouldn't bother with Ku on a warped surface.
But hey, good find!

Humm, is that mounting post bent on that SS dish? Sure looks like in that photo. :confused: That "may" be the reason the dish is bent also.

Might be able to straighten the dish with a rubber mallet. Looks like the dish mounting brackets may be bent also? Got any closeup photos of that?

I've seen a number of those KTI stainless dishes crumpled up after the owners decided it was time for them to go.

Humm, is that mounting post bent on that SS dish? Sure looks like in that photo. :confused: That "may" be the reason the dish is bent also.

Might be able to straighten the dish with a rubber mallet. Looks like the dish mounting brackets may be bent also? Got any closeup photos of that?
no that you mention it the whole dish looks bent in the photos. i wasn't allowed to do a string test. wonder why? 'll only take it if it's free.

no closeups :( now that you mention it the whole dish looks bent in the photos. i wasn't allowed to do a string test. wonder why? i'll only take it if it's free. if as i suspect it's KTI it's got a newer feedhorn on it. i think they kept the same legs but jammed a Chap feed on it. so if the chap feed diameter is different from the kti feed diameter it might bend the legs and dish. not to mention the focal length looks way out of whack. this is what the usual feed looks like

Photo041.jpg

How much did the owner want for the dishes? Since you're removing them yourself, you shouldn't have to pay much. You're doing him/her a favor.

Made arrangements today to pickup 3 dishes on Thursday with a 6x12 utility trailer :)
Dish #1 (Pic 1) is an 8 foot Prodelin fiberglass buttonhook.
Dish #2&3 (pic 2&3) are a perforated 10 foot. Not sure who made them but I'll find out Thursday.

Dish # 4 (pic 4,5,6) is a 9.5 foot stainless steel solid ...(drooling). I think it's a Kaul-Tronics Nova SS-112?
I left my info with the owner. If I'm lucky I'll bag that one also.

Kevin

Picked up the dishes yesterday from the trailer parks little cable headend. It turns out dishes # 2,3 (the black perforated ones) are made in Yugoslavia! A little silver tag on the mount said UNITRAC U90. So a Yugoslavian dish got imported to Canada and installed here. I'll open another thread for this unique dish.

Attachments

• Photo0535.jpg
    Photo0535.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Photo0536.jpg
    Photo0536.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 206
  • Photo0537.jpg
    Photo0537.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 201
Sure would be nice to have some pics of that polar mount? See how they do it in Europe, hey. ;)
Hi LG :)
Nothing too special about the mount. This dish didn't have a motor even though its a polar mount. A adjustable bar replaced the actuator. They put a plug in the square frame for the alternate east side actuator bracket mount point and it doesn't seal completely. So 30 years of water froze and has split the frame in the bottom right corner (the lowest point) but it's not too bad. Unique is the dual declination adjust bolts.
Being European its metric hardware of course.

Attachments

• Photo0549.jpg
    Photo0549.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Photo0550.jpg
    Photo0550.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Photo0558.jpg
    Photo0558.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Photo0559.jpg
    Photo0559.jpg