AFN and Encryption??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Armed Forces Network...

main reason is they take programs that are available on channels we get and rebroadcasts them to service members....including PPV's.
They need to use specific receivers (SA D9234) with a card in them. The card is registered with the military (the serial number)

info from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Forces_Network

* AFN Prime. Formerly AFN Atlantic and AFN Pacific. The standard AFN feed airs current sitcoms, dramas, syndicated "judge" shows, talk shows, game shows, and reality shows popular in the United States, with a time delay from 24 hours to 6 months or more behind the United States airdates. In addition, popular US soap operas such as General Hospital are aired by AFN on a one-week tape delay. This stream is divided into three feeds (AFN Prime Atlantic, AFN Prime Freedom (Middle East), and AFN Prime Pacific); the difference between the three is that they are time-shifted so that programs air at the same local time in each of the major regions served: Japan/Korea, Central Europe and Iraq. Many regional feeds (such as AFN-Europe and AFN-Korea) are based on AFN Prime and add local programming to it; thus, in a way, AFN Prime mimics the regular network TV concept. AFN Prime Pacific footage of the Late Show with David Letterman and of The Oprah Winfrey Show are used by Brazilian cable channel GNT for rebroadcasting of the programs in the country, usually with a one-week delay behind the original U.S. air date.
* AFN Spectrum. AFN Spectrum started out as more of a conservative culture-oriented channel with programming from cable networks and classic TV series. In a way, it mimicked the "superstation" concept from cablecasters TBS and WGN America. However the Spectrum lineup currently contains more conventional programming, like American Idol and Ugly Betty, as some of the public television and classic fare that made up Spectrum is being reduced but remain the primary constant on the channel.
* AFN Xtra. Launched in February 2006, AFN Xtra is young adult oriented channel with shows from Comedy Central, VH1, MTV, and more. It is AFN's exclusive home for UFC and WWE programming, including all Pay-Per-View events, as well as motor sports including NASCAR, NHRA, Motocross and other auto and motorcycle racing series. AFN Xtra also airs sports programming on the weekends and for eight hours a day on the weekdays.
* AFN News. AFN News is a rolling-news channel providing news from all major news outlets. Newscasts, such as the NBC Nightly News, Fox News, ABC World News Tonight, and CBS Evening News, were all scheduled to air in the mornings so viewers could watch the headlines live, but now they air on a tape delay in the regular early evening slot, back to back.
* AFN Family. AFN Family is a general entertainment channel providing programming for children 2–17 years old. Although the name of the channel suggests programming appropriate for all family members at any time, the channel more closely resembles ABC Family or Nickelodeon, with programming targeted at specific age groups during the course of the day. Programming during the day targets pre-schoolers but "ages" as older children become available to watch in the afternoon after school. By 8:00 p.m. local time, programming is targeted at older teens.
* AFN Movie. AFN Movie is a channel showcasing movies as well as film-oriented programming. It is targeted primarily at adults and contains programs with a parental rating from TV-G to TV-MA.
* AFN Sports. AFN Sports is a rolling-sports channel, providing sports news and events, including ESPN's SportsCenter and live and delayed broadcasts of the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, MLB, NHL, NCAA College Football, men and women's NCAA College Basketball, and PGA Tour, as well as other highly rated team competitions.
* Pentagon Channel. This is the only AFN channel that is available in the USA to the general public. It airs Department of Defense military news and information programming 24 hours a day.

I find it strange that even though they are scrambled I can tune in the scrambled TV guide channel on my AZ Box. :)

oh to see what is on (the guide) you can either scan in the channels (some show a guide) or go to zap2it and put in your zip. One option says "AFN"

No I actually can tune to the AFN Program Guide channel.. my receiver displays scrambled for a few seconds and then locks in and shows the guide (looks like the old Prevue guide channel) on the top they have ads for shows and PPVs which are being presented. :)

oh I know Scott. There are some program guides but most of the channels are scrambled

IceBerg, Scott, thats exactly what I saw last year on my other Receiver, that is, the Guide was there, but when you tried to click on the actual Channels they were all scrambled as noted.

Oh, ok. I understand now. Wonder if this is a free service or do they charge for it? I was thinking that if this was something that was done by the military, aka, the US Gubbermit, then why would it be encrypted if "We The Taxpayers" would be paying for it. Was thinking that if I was paying for it via taxes, then I ought to be able to see it also. ;-) Yeah, I got a little Jewish blood in me I guess. ;-)

Thanks

The channels are for military personnel mainly overseas. The "Armed Forces Network" has about 8-10 satellites that they broadcast the same thing on

The main reason they are scrambled is the programs are from other sources and rebroadcast. Again using just 89W as the example programs from the networks they want you to watch it on their network. Sports obviously ESPN, USA, TNT, etc wants you to watch it there.

Here is the AFN website
myAFN Home

ha. Here is the reason they are scrambled
Programming on AFRTS is provided to the government at little or no cost by the program producers based upon the fact
that we limit access to our programming to authorized audience members
. This agreement is put into jeopardy by
fraudulent use or distribution of AFRTS programming, which that could result in the termination of programming
agreements. This could essentially take AFRTS off the air.
http://media.myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/Bulletins/How_do_i_get_AFN.pdf

so the producers of the programs actually are the ones giving the programs to AFN...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)