Aiming SL3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
trying to aim a dish with the SL3 lnb on it....it seems this would be alot simpler if i could connect the center "eye" directly to my FTA receiver....is this possible? what type of switch is inside this lnb? is it diseqc controlled?

i realize my fta receiver will not "lock" the signal, but the meter will "bounce" up and down, verifying my aim, i have used this method before while aiming a single lnb DTV dish

Mikey it depends on the LNB. If its a non SWM (there are 4 outputs on it) 101 should work fine as the single LNB setup for aiming.
If its a SWM then you need a Directv receiver to do it

Do you not have a D* receiver? I'm confused as to what you're trying to do too.

An SL3 only has one "eye", if your dish has three then it's an SL5.
You align the dish on 101, so initially there's only one satellite to worry about. I see you are in Canada, so you might not see any of the other satellites at decent signal strength depending on where you are (where are you exactly?). If you are in an area where there is decent 101 signal, you should not have any trouble finding 101, using the receiver.

If it an SWM dish, however, you need the power inserter, and alignment is a bit more difficult

my apologies....i guess my description was not very good....it has 4 outputs....it is an SL3 lnb so only one "eye" but could i cover up the outer two portions of the one "eye", or connect directly to the center "eye" somehow, allowing me to aim the center "eye" at 101? this would seem like the easiest way to me....then all i would need to do is to fine tune the skew?

he has an H24 Direct TV receiver but i am not too familliar with these.....so it would be alot easier for me to aim the dish using an FTA receiver if possible, aiming the center "eye" at 101w

i want to hookup the center PORTION of the "eye" directly to my FTA receiver if possible

Last edited:
It's not that difficult to aim using the meters in the receiver. Give it a try!

i want to hookup the center PORTION of the "eye" directly to my FTA receiver if possible

not possible. and don't cover any part of the LNB array

but as mentioned its not hard at all using the actual DirecTV unit; just go grab a $12 heading compass (which no toolbox or glove compartment should be without). and using a 110% plumb/level mast and the proper coordinates, you should be good within 20 minutes

Attachments

• 1280744633188_hz-cnmyalibaba-web3_34713.jpg
    1280744633188_hz-cnmyalibaba-web3_34713.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 123
i am going to a customers house to aim this dish, i have never in my life operated a DTV receiver....any advice on what settings to look for in the menus?....i dont want to look like an A$$....i am very familiar with bell receivers and have aimed hundreds of dishes....do DTV receivers have signal meters similar to bell receivers?....aiming the dish will not be a problem, just want to know how to operate the receiver....lol

Signal meter is easy to find in setup menus. You want signal above 90. If HD, peak 101 then tweak 99/103 till all are 90+. 99/103 may require fine tuning, search youtube for slimline dithering for a video.

where do i find the signal meters in the menus?

do all 3 meters appear on the same screen? or do i need to check them one at a time?

also....this is for a DTV customer/subscriber who lives in the states....he has a second (summer) house here in canada which is where he wants this dish aimed from, i am assuming DTV signals are receivable here in canada?....about one hour north of toronto?

i have never aimed DTV before and dont want to look like an A$$hat

Last edited:
Once the receiver is on hit menu, find settings, then satellite, then signal strength.

The menu is a little different when the receiver is SFSS 771, but just look for dish pointing, or signal strength.

Do you know the az/elv and tilt yet?
If now use dishpointer.com

All three signals will not show at the same time, but once you have the 101 and 119 you'll be set

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)