Aiptek ActionHD Camera

Hmmmm. I'm now thinking of getting an HD camcorder for work and home (1 unit). I was looking at the Sony XR520V, mainly for it's reputed low light capabilities and image stabilization. But they go for about 6 times the price of the Aiptek GVS. And I'd rather not buy Sony. It would seem if I give up some low light capability, slow motion, ease of use (getting video out to another media, DVD, HDD or BD), and 5x vs 12x zoom, I might well be able to fill the need with the Aiptek.

However, the Sony has a 240 GB HDD for 92 hours of HD, the Aiptek is claiming 8 hrs of HD on a 32 GB SD card. That's 2.6 GB/hr vs 4 GB/hr, and 12 megapixel vs 5 megapixel. Both pixel counts would seem to be more than sufficient for 1080, even allowing for image stabilization. Still, counts seem a bit strange- megapixels per GB wise. What other factor enters here?

It almost seems worth it to just try the Aiptek. Almost. Owners- what is your experience with indoor shots? And shots with just candle light? And there's some sort of proprietary mini-plug that has component (but not HDMI) at the other end?

I realize no one has the Sony yet- street date is 2/9/09.

We will be doing inside shots- and into boilers and such.

Thank you. I can wait and see what's coming. There is some advantage to getting it by April, but that is not a major deadline.

Your Welcome... :) I took some clips starting 10 minutes after sunset and last was about :25 minutes ago, but I think the SD card was formatted in my other camera and is not being recognized...:( btw all shots at CES were 720p @ 60fps...

Thanks for the shots.

Do you normally transfer via SD or do you hook up the proprietary cable? I wonder why the cable would ever be used. Surely almost everything today can read an SD card. You mentioned the SD card formatting. Isn't it standard, so it can be read by any PC w/a reader? Or does special software need to be installed?

I envision removing an SD card from the camera after a job, and then putting it into any PC for transfer to the server. Then anyone can see the video. And maybe burn a DVD or BD, after we buy a BD burner. See any concerns there?

Your Welcome ! The problem (I'm Guessing)was I had pulled the IDE cables going to both DVD Drives to patch a couple of Replay HDD's, the card reader was lit up but wouldn't read so I went to my htpc and fired up the FPTV and there they were :) You actually do not need a BD burner unless you want it for larger video... I use either Ulead Movie Factory 6 plus or Nero 7 to burn HD video's to either a DVD 5 or 9 as AVC HD discs. :)

Thanks for the link. Yet another one to consider. Maybe time for yet another thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts