AL EAST 2009

Remember Rice's last year? He was hitting about as poorly as Ortiz has been, then he hit two homers in a game on a nationally televised Monday Night game, then he went back into his slump and never came out of it.

Red Sox defeat Toronto 5-1, and sweep the three game series against the Jays, to pull within a half game of first place.

Jay (Manny who?) Bay continued his torrid start with his 13th homer.

However, the most impressive part of the sweep was that the Red Sox pitching held the red hot Jays bats to 5 runs over the three nights! :up

Now it's on to interleague play starting tomorrow night at Fenway. The Mets invade Fenway, and tomorrow night Dice-K makes his return off the DL against Johan Santana.

Red Sox defeat Toronto 5-1, and sweep the three game series against the Jays, to pull within a half game of first place.

Jay (Manny who?) Bay continued his torrid start with his 13th homer.

However, the most impressive part of the sweep was that the Red Sox pitching held the red hot Jays bats to 5 runs over the three nights! :up

Now it's on to interleague play starting tomorrow night at Fenway. The Mets invade Fenway, and tomorrow night Dice-K makes his return off the DL against Johan Santana.

Very impressive ....
At the same time, the Tigers held the Rangers Offense to 6 runs in a 3 game sweep :)

The Yankees won their 9th straight game tonight, but the news wasn't all good for the Bronx Bombers.

Joba Chamberlain had to leave the game in the 1st inning after getting hit on his leg by a line drive.

Very impressive ....
At the same time, the Tigers held the Rangers Offense to 6 runs in a 3 game sweep :)

Wow, that's even MORE impressive. The Rangers have one of the top offenses in baseball. :up

The Tigers pitching has been VERY impressive this year!

In a rehab start tonight, John Smoltz pitched three shutout innings, giving up one hit and striking out two.

I CAN'T WAIT for Smoltz' first start in a Red Sox uniform!

Hey, Bill, lets get it on!!!! lol Best of luck tomorrow. I obviously will be rooting for the Mets but the Mets HAVE to win. They have been running the bases wrong and not hitting. They also cant field and have lost 4 in a row. They need some wins!!!

Hey, Bill, lets get it on!!!! lol Best of luck tomorrow. I obviously will be rooting for the Mets but the Mets HAVE to win. They have been running the bases wrong and not hitting. They also cant field and have lost 4 in a row. They need some wins!!!

You too, buddy! :)

I heard Reyes wasn't going to make the trip to Boston. Hope he's okay, he's a great player.

I'm curious to see which lefty Francona sits tomorrow night against Santana (Ellsbury, Drew or Ortiz?.......my money is on Drew with Baldelli getting the start in RF).

Mets playing the Red Sox in Fenway?

Is it 1986 all over again?! (BTW, Bill- I promise- no you-know-who references)

It always will hurt, but believe me '04 and '07, has erased a LOT of the pain (at least for me).

Yankees-Mets and Yankees-Red Sox gets a lot of publicity have obvious reasons, but Mets-Red Sox have had a decent rivalry in interleague play.

Mets/Red Sox is not the only World Series rematch involving an A.L. East team.

We also have Toronto/Atlanta, a rematch of the 1992 World Series.

It seemed like yesterday the Blue Jays were considered a model franchise.

You too, buddy! :)

I heard Reyes wasn't going to make the trip to Boston. Hope he's okay, he's a great player.

I'm curious to see which lefty Francona sits tomorrow night against Santana (Ellsbury, Drew or Ortiz?.......my money is on Drew with Baldelli getting the start in RF).

He is a great player but he doesnt grasp the fundamentals. I mean against the Braves last week he didnt run out of the box hard and he doesnt slide when he should.

The Mets played lousy in Los Angeles. They couldnt field. On one play Angel Pagan or was it Daniel Murphy. Anyway Pagan or Murphy called for the ball, then Beltran called for it and they got confused and I think the runners stopped on second and third. That play got the ball rolling and the Mets lost.

Then Jeremy Reed who was playing first base threw home and it missed the catcher by about 20 feet and the Mets lost the game.

Also, let's not forget Ryan Church missing 3rd base and instead of being up 3-2, they wound up losing 3-2.

They played awful and they need some wins. Im sorry, the rant is over!!!

...Jay (Manny who?) Bay continued his torrid start with his 13th homer....

From[ame="http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290521102"]Toronto Blue Jays vs. Boston Red Sox - Recap - May 21, 2009 - ESPN[/ame]

Lester got the support he needed in a three-run first. Two came on Jason Bay's 11th straight homer with runners on base, a club record.

I remember back in 1978 or 1979 when the Red Sox PR department boasted that Jim Rice's most recent eleven homers either tied the game or put the team ahead, but all but one or two came with two out in the first inning and the bases empty. Rice lead the league in bases empty homers several times.

Over/under: 40 dingers for him this year?...

Here's a comparative, full season projection, using the defective medothology of assuming Manny comes back tomorrow and plays the rest of the games

Code:
SPLITS G  AB   R   H  2B 3B HR RBI BB  SO  SB CS  AVG  OBP  SLG OPS 

Jason 162 565 134 170 40  4 51 174 126 142 16  0 .301 .433 .657 1.090 

Manny 147 501 120 174 49  0 33 109 142  93  0  0 .348 .492 .641 1.133

But he's going to miss another 35-40, so those power numbers project to maybe two dozen homers and eighty or so RBI. Not a real good return on $25 million.

I CAN'T WAIT for Smoltz' first start in a Red Sox uniform!

I can. Smoltz is 42 years old. Who needs him? I'd rather give the starts to Masterson or Bucholtz.

36 year old former Red Sox pitcher Bartolo Colon gave up eight runs in two innings last night. How much gas is left in Smoltz's tank? I bet he doesn't even make the 2009 playoff roster.

Here's a comparative, full season projection, using the defective medothology of assuming Manny comes back tomorrow and plays the rest of the games

Code:
SPLITS G  AB   R   H  2B 3B [B]HR RBI[/B] BB  SO  SB CS  AVG  OBP  SLG OPS 

[B]Jason[/B] 162 565 134 170 40  4 [B]51 174[/B] 126 142 16  0 .301 .433 .657 1.090 

:eek::eek::eek:

51 homers? 174 RBI?!

If he does that, Bill will practically build a statue of him made entirely of Boston Cream Pie!

From ESPN:

I remember back in 1978 or 1979 when the Red Sox PR department boasted that Jim Rice's most recent eleven homers either tied the game or put the team ahead, but all but one or two came with two out in the first inning and the bases empty. Rice lead the league in bases empty homers several times.

Code:
SPLITS G  AB   R   H  2B 3B HR RBI BB  SO  SB CS  AVG  OBP  SLG OPS 

Jason 162 565 134 170 40  4 [B]51 174[/B] 126 142 16  0 .301 .433 .657 1.090 

But he's going to miss another 35-40, so those power numbers project to maybe two dozen homers and eighty or so RBI. Not a real good return on $25 million.

Your "medothology" (I assume you meant defective "methodology") is indeed defective.:D No way he hits 51 HR's and knocks in 174 runs. That would be one helluva season.

My Two Cents on Alex Ovechkin

OK....the kool-aid has worn off....BENCH JaMarcus Russell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)