AL East 2010

We once traded Heathcliff "Drainpipe" Slocum for Jason Veritek and Derek Lowe but that was over a decade ago, so maybe we're due to pull off another heist.

Tampa Bay leads Boston by four games. If Tampa Bay continues to win 60% of its games, the Red Sox will have to win 69% of their remaining games to tie them at 97 wins, and 72% to win the wild card outright with 98 wins. Not impossible, but...

The good news for the Red Sox is, they are now only missing two everyday players..

Spoke too soon. Today, the Red Sox started three regulars and six subs. In fact, they started five subs and a sub-sub, since Pedroia sub Lowrie couldn't play because of the heat.

Tampa Bay leads Boston by four games. If Tampa Bay continues to win 60% of its games, the Red Sox will have to win 69% of their remaining games to tie them at 97 wins, and 72% to win the wild card outright with 98 wins. Not impossible, but...

Slip slidin' away...

Yankees and Tampa Bay now both extrapolate to 99 wins. For the Red Sox to reach 99 wins to tie, they would have to go 32-11.

Mike Cameron (abdominal surgery) is done for the year, and Jacoby Ellsbury re-fractured a rib and is more than likely done for the year. Also, backup outfielder Eric Patterson was disabled yesterday.

The Sox will now go with a Hall/Kalish/McDonald/Nava/Reddick combo in LF/CF the last 6+ weeks.

Red Sox beat the Angels, 7-5. The Sox are now 9-0 vs. the Angels this season. They go for the season series sweep tomorrow night at Fenway.

But Tampa and New York have matched the Red Sox most recent two wins. It ain't over 'till its over, but it is now two games closer to being over.

Ellsbury initially cracked five ribs colliding with another player. How can that be? You can crack two ribs, or at most, three, if you get elbowed in the ribs by Bill Laimbeer or Gus Johnson, but if you make broad contact with another human being, distributed over five ribs, how can you get much more than a bruise? And now, he incurs another rib break from a collision with another player. I'd say, Ellsbury has brittle bones. This does not bode well for his career.

Meanwhile, Lackey gave up five runs in seven innings. If the Red Sox make the playoffs, he will probably be the third starter, just because he's solid and has come up big in the past, but beyond Buckholtz and Lester, their vaunted starting pitching hasn't lived up to its pre-season billing.

If the Red Sox make the playoffs, he will probably be the third starter, just because he's solid and has come up big in the past, but beyond Buckholtz and Lester, their vaunted starting pitching hasn't lived up to its pre-season billing.

IF (and that's a HUGE IF) the Sox somehow make the postseason, I think their rotation will be:

1. Lester
2. Beckett (based on postseason reputation)
3. Buchholz
4. Lackey

Dice-K would be jettisoned to the bullpen.

BillD1984 said:
IF (and that's a HUGE IF) the Sox somehow make the postseason, I think their rotation will be:

1. Lester
2. Beckett (based on postseason reputation)
3. Buchholz
4. Lackey

Dice-K would be jettisoned to the bullpen.

If Lackey were to start over Dice-K, I would lose a lot of respect for Tito.

At this point Dice-k is a better pitcher than those 2 stiffs ( Beckett & Lackey) who we are now burdened with for 4 more seasons. :yuck

However this is all a mute point because tonights blow out loss to the jays was most likely the death nail, if it wasn't Pedoria going back on the DL.

170 million dollar disappointment = 2009 Boston Red Sox season.

If Lackey were to start over Dice-K, I would lose a lot of respect for Tito.

At this point Dice-k is a better pitcher than those 2 stiffs ( Beckett & Lackey) who we are now burdened with for 4 more seasons. :yuck

However this is all a mute point because tonights blow out loss to the jays was most likely the death nail, if it wasn't Pedoria going back on the DL.

170 million dollar disappointment = 2009 Boston Red Sox season.

Lets see if you think about Beckett and Lackey this way next year when they both win 15-20 games for you.

FYI, most people living in Berks(hire) county are Yankees fans. I think the only Red Sox fan I ever met in Berkshire County was their late county treasurer.

Well I meant the 2010 season, not 2009.(can't go back and edit?)

I'm in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Most people are Phillies fans. They are just as obnoxious as Yankee fans, except without the championships.

Red Sox have "claimed" Johnny Damon off waivers.

Now the Tigers and Red Sox have 48 hours to work out a deal, or Damon will remain in Detroit.

Red Sox have "claimed" Johnny Damon off waivers.

Now the Tigers and Red Sox have 48 hours to work out a deal, or Damon will remain in Detroit.

I'm surprised Damon turned down the Red Sox. The Sox were specifically written into Damon's Tiger contract as a team he cannot be traded to, and Damon refused to waive that. A return would have given him (and Fenway fans) a chance to heal some old wounds.

Sandra

I'm surprised Damon turned down the Red Sox. The Sox were specifically written into Damon's Tiger contract as a team he cannot be traded to, and Damon refused to waive that. A return would have given him (and Fenway fans) a chance to heal some old wounds.

Sandra
I agree he should have agreed to play in Boston to try and make amends, but I'm not surprised he's staying in Detroit.

Damon has a good rapport still with Yankee fans because the team let him go, unlike Sox fans because he chose to go to the hated Yankees because of a total of $1.5M over 4 years.

Damon didn't want to potentially burn bridges with NYY fans by going back with the Sox for 5 only weeks. It is interesting that reports say he would have reported to Tampa or NY if chosen off of waivers by them. Maybe that's why Theo did it. Plus, he still remembers nights like this:

johnny-damon-front2-getty.jpg

Sandra

The bridge has been burnt between Johnny and Boston. I wouldn't want him back either if I was a Chowder Head. It's time both parties just move on.

I agree he should have agreed to play in Boston to try and make amends, but I'm not surprised he's staying in Detroit.

Damon has a good rapport still with Yankee fans because the team let him go, unlike Sox fans because he chose to go to the hated Yankees because of a total of $1.5M over 4 years.

Damon didn't want to potentially burn bridges with NYY fans by going back with the Sox for 5 only weeks. It is interesting that reports say he would have reported to Tampa or NY if chosen off of waivers by them. Maybe that's why Theo did it. Plus, he still remembers nights like this:

johnny-damon-front2-getty.jpg

Damon came back to the Stadium for the first time last week, and he received a long, loud standing ovation when he was announced for his first at bat. You wonder how much that factored in as well.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)