Al Jazeera Is Now Scrambled

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This isn't American Censorship, this is self-censorship (Qatarian, to be precise). They blocked it in order to get cable companies to give it a shot. It's a pretty big gamble, and one I'm not certain is going to pay off. One would think the future would be in making sure the online channel is available 24/7 alongside a cable channel for more exposure, but that's just me.

Actually, it is forced self-censorship, just like what recently happened with eScapes (and too many others, for that matter), they were forced by an American cable or satellite company to encrypt their fta signal in order to get carriage.

If you go to Globecast World TV's website at
http://www.globecastwtv.com/America/...px?ChannelId=6

it says: Al Jazeera English has moved to a NEW channel location. Please tune in to CH 4010 to view Al Jazeera English.

Perhaps this means that Al Jazeera has moved to another channel and it is still on 97w for free? If its scrambled, don't you have the option to pay for it, to watch it? I mean the channel name still shows up, so it must be available somehow right???

If you go to Globecast World TV's website at
http://www.globecastwtv.com/America/...px?ChannelId=6

it says: Al Jazeera English has moved to a NEW channel location. Please tune in to CH 4010 to view Al Jazeera English.

Perhaps this means that Al Jazeera has moved to another channel and it is still on 97w for free? If its scrambled, don't you have the option to pay for it, to watch it? I mean the channel name still shows up, so it must be available somehow right???

Not necessarily. First of all, the "tune in" message, if I'm not mistaken, was listed well before the decision to pull/scramble AJE signals. Then suddenly they received word that AJE was no longer going to distribute in the U.S. If you continue reading the Globecast message after this first sentence, it's clear they will no longer offer AJE. In fact, Al Jazeera America's site is dangling Globecast World TV on their site as a possible additional subscription outlet for their channel (if enough people click on the link to request it, and this would almost certainly be a "pay" channel). Note that this is for the new channel, not the old AJE. I just think WorldTV forgot to take down the "new channel location" message that you're referring to.

"self-censorship"? I'd say they bowed to the demands of the cable and pizza operators and the almighty $$$$.
This isn't American Censorship, this is self-censorship (Qatarian, to be precise). They blocked it in order to get cable companies to give it a shot. It's a pretty big gamble, and one I'm not certain is going to pay off. One would think the future would be in making sure the online channel is available 24/7 alongside a cable channel for more exposure, but that's just me.
Don't think it got pulled so it would 'have a shot'. They blocked AJEnglish to get 'dumbed down' AJAmerica carried on mainstream 'we wanna be dumb' cable and pizza satellite. Don't think there's much, if any, resemblance between the two. So, in effect, it(AJE) is censored for AJAmericas' shot at carriage.
?

Al Jazeera America sues after being dropped by AT&T

[h=1]Al Jazeera America sues after being dropped by AT&T[/h]
U-verse is the second TV provider after Time Warner Cable to drop the network since it acquired Current TV in January and replaced it with Al Jazeera America. Comcast, DirecTV, Dish and Verizon are carrying the network.

Merrill Brown, a former media executive who helped launch cable news network MSNBC, said Al Jazeera America may need to pay distributors if it wants to reach more viewers, particularly since it is not owned by a media conglomerate that can package it with other channels to gain leverage in negotiations.

"It's hard to believe they are going to get this thing nationally distributed without paying for carriage," Brown said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-att-al-jazeera-20130820,0,4887647.story

Streaming video still available in Mexico.

Bummer to see they also went scrambled on 58w C band, as I was looking into that option.

Al Jazeera website still lists Galaxy 19 (97W) and Intelsat 9 (58w) as the only 2 satellites carrying their signal to the Americas.

I see no update on the Globecast website, I wonder if they will offer AJE by subscription, but no it doesn´t make sense, none of this makes any sense.

You're right>but it's not supposed to make sense. It's supposed to make them MONEY. Naturally they want to cut off any means of access for US people, including webcasts, to force payment for viewing. I don't like it, but I can't fault them trying to make a dollar. Not that the owners need it.

You have a problem with it because it goes against the grain of the mainstream media news channels most of the time, or what?
No, they don't go against the grain of the mainstream media any more, when I have tried to watch their 97W feed lately, it takes less than 5 minutes for the America-bashing to start. They weren't like that in the beginning, but I understand why it is happening now. Sorry, I can't answer more fully because of the rules against political discussions.

To our audience in the United States,

We have been receiving thousands of e-mails, Facebook messages and tweets over the past few days about our video content and live stream becoming unavailable. We appreciate you reaching out to us and we are heartened by your praise for our content.

Al Jazeera English however will continue to provide its US audiences with quality journalism in the form of news articles, blogs, photo essays, features, opinion pieces, and in-depth interactives. We are working hard to come up with innovative ways to continue telling the stories that you like.

If you are in the US, any AJE link you click on will take you to our website. The exception is our homepage, aljazeera.com, which will redirect you to our sister channel Al Jazeera America's website. Should you want to view AJE, you can do so by clicking at the 'Visit Al Jazeera English' link at the bottom of that page.

For now, follow our excellent Middle East coverage here:
http://aje.me/183rYMg

Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera/posts/10151870616208690

To our audience in the United States,

We have been receiving thousands of e-mails, Facebook messages and tweets over the past few days about our video content and live stream becoming unavailable. We appreciate you reaching out to us and we are heartened by your praise for our content.

Al Jazeera English however will continue to provide its US audiences with quality journalism in the form of news articles, blogs, photo essays, features, opinion pieces, and in-depth interactives. We are working hard to come up with innovative ways to continue telling the stories that you like.

If you are in the US, any AJE link you click on will take you to our website. The exception is our homepage, aljazeera.com, which will redirect you to our sister channel Al Jazeera America's website. Should you want to view AJE, you can do so by clicking at the 'Visit Al Jazeera English' link at the bottom of that page.

For now, follow our excellent Middle East coverage here:
http://aje.me/183rYMg

Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera/posts/10151870616208690

In other words, "ouch. The nay-sayers may have been right. We're not sure if we really messed up yet, but it's looking that way. Someone come up with a Plan B, quick, while PR does damage control!"

And when you click on AJ English and click on watch it says this...

The Al Jazeera English live stream is no longer available in the U.S.
Starting tomorrow, August 20th, you’ll be able to watch more of the in-depth reporting and great content you love on the new Al Jazeera America television channel.
Click here to see if your local television provider will be carrying Al Jazeera America. If not, let your voice be heard and please request it today.
Here’s how you can keep in touch with us and get all the latest updates about Al Jazeera America’s launch :

I guess this is just another demonstration of my longstanding belief that economics is a religion rather than a science, and thus should have no place as a decisionmaking factor in a free society.
Economics is a science. News is a church.

AJE is still streaming live here in Canada. I wonder if we are next on the chopping block?

I would assume not, as AlJazeera America is a US-based channel and not focused on Canada. Additionally, AlJazeera English already seems to have carriage on most of the major PAY TV providers here (Bell, Telus, Shaw cable, Rogers) so they should have no reason to cut Internet streaming here.

dish wants me to upgrade to get al Jazeera. my cable subscription wants me to upgrade to watch al Jazeera. neither of them have any other channels I want to watch. oh well, have to change the geosat lnb on my 1.2 again. it has a signal of 0/0. means the receiver can't see the lnb. checked with a spare and I get a 45 reading so lnb is bad anyway... charlie

Too bad AJE and the former Press TV can't or won't spot beam their programming to viewers outside of USA.

Is this kind of bizarre or what ?

I´m watching Al Jazeera now on livestation (I´m outside the US) and the lady is covering the weather forecast for the US mmm,...well not useful anymore for people in the US, oh yes maybe they forgot they just lost their US audience.

maybe now the US weather report is just for people planning to travel to the US. :D

Too bad AJE and the former Press TV can't or won't spot beam their programming to viewers outside of USA.

Exactly my feeling, 97w encryption affects also Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, and 58w affects all of the Americas. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)