Alex Rodriguez tests positive for steroids and now ADMITS it

Why didn't MLB discipline the 104 players who tested positive in '03?

Why does MLB have a PED policy but hardly enforces it?

The league enforced what the union collectively bargained to allow them to enforce.

This was the only way the union would agree to any kind of testing back then. Like salsa said, it was kind of a trial in that if a certain threshold wasn't reached, there would be no more testing. The agreement at the time was that names would not be released, just the number of players who tested positive.

This was all the union would agree to back then, nothing more.

Not sure how Sports Illustrated found the names, but they've proven to be very good at investigative journalism. And very credible. I don't feel sorry for A-Rod or any other player whose name is released, even if they thought the results would be sealed. Serves them all right for lying to us for so long.

It wasn't until congress became involved that Gene Orza was forced to concede to more testing with names being released, etc. Congress made some veiled threats to MLB's anti-trust status.

The union has been dragged into every bit of testing kicking and screaming. If I was a clean baseball player (assuming there are a few), I would be furious my union is making me decide if I have to take illegal and harmful drugs to keep up with the players who are taking it, who they're protecting.

I wonder how Gene Orza is going to feel if there is a Lyle Alzado down the road, a player who dies because he took steroids.

Why doesn't the league test for HGH right now? The union won't agree to it. As far as we know, each and every player in the league may be taking HGH. There is no way to know. We're finding out the best thing to do is probably assume all are guilty.

And if it's true Orza was tipping off players back then as to when they'd be 'randomly' tested...well that's just criminal.

Sandra

This was the only way the union would agree to any kind of testing back then. Like salsa said, it was kind of a trial in that if a certain threshold wasn't reached, there would be no more testing. The agreement at the time was that names would not be released, just the number of players who tested positive.

This was all the union would agree to back then, nothing more.

Not sure how Sports Illustrated found the names, but they've proven to be very good at investigative journalism. And very credible. I don't feel sorry for A-Rod or any other player whose name is released, even if they thought the results would be sealed. Serves them all right for lying to us for so long.

It wasn't until congress became involved that Gene Orza was forced to concede to more testing with names being released, etc. Congress made some veiled threats to MLB's anti-trust status.

The union has been dragged into every bit of testing kicking and screaming. If I was a clean baseball player (assuming there are a few), I would be furious my union is making me decide if I have to take illegal and harmful drugs to keep up with the players who are taking it, who they're protecting.

I wonder how Gene Orza is going to feel if there is a Lyle Alzado down the road, a player who dies because he took steroids.

Why doesn't the league test for HGH right now? The union won't agree to it. And if it's true Orza was tipping off players back then as to when they'd be 'randomly' tested...well that's just criminal.

Sandra
excellent post and spot on!:up

This is what I said:

Because this is what you said:

I have no idea why this would lead to a personal attack of me, except because that's what you do. You have attacked me and others personally on a number of occasions, based on where we live and what we've accomplished in life. I don't recall anyone attacking you personally at all.

Perhaps you should try some consideration and talk to the facts, not the person. It makes you sound very insecure.

Sandra

IF you read my statement, it's the truth.....'roids DON'T make you a home run hitter unless you were capable of hitting them. Help you hit more, yeah.....but you do NOT become an instant home run hitter just because you took 'roids.

And about the personal attacks....believe me, I have bitten my tongue many times. I have no issues with people questioning what my opinions are nor whether I knows what I am talking....none...you don't know me and I don't know you. We have had many disagreements where you were even told to just leave it alone....but your problem is.....you can't, because like always.....you gotta have the last word. The little comment of "Salsa knows big leaguers, and says steroids don't help you hit home runs anyway...." and then the "who me, what did I do..." act is YOUR typical MO....make the statement and play dumb...:rolleyes:
No more....as opposed to the usual ass kissers here, I will not bow down and say....'oh it's ok, she is a girl......'

And finally, about my so-called security, its fine the way it is....neither I nor anyone that knows me either here or in my personal life have had no issues with it.;)

So, if the mods need to give me a vacation.....so be it.....

IF you read my statement, it's the truth.....'roids DON'T make you a home run hitter unless you were capable of hitting them. Help you hit more, yeah.....but you do NOT become an instant home run hitter just because you took 'roids.

And about the personal attacks....believe me, I have bitten my tongue many times. I have no issues with people questioning what my opinions are nor whether I knows what I am talking....none...you don't know me and I don't know you. We have had many disagreements where you were even told to just leave it alone....but your problem is.....you can't, because like always.....you gotta have the last word. The little comment of "Salsa knows big leaguers, and says steroids don't help you hit home runs anyway...." and then the "who me, what did I do..." act is YOUR typical MO....make the statement and play dumb...:rolleyes:
No more....as opposed to the usual ass kissers here, I will not bow down and say....'oh it's ok, she is a girl......'

And finally, about my so-called security, its fine the way it is....neither I nor anyone that knows me either here or in my personal life have had no issues with it.;)

So, if the mods need to give me a vacation.....so be it.....

Good thing you never try to get the last word in, like you accuse me of doing. What I said about you knowing big leaguers was said with a wink, it was sarcasm, meant to be funny. I'm sorry you didn't see it that way.

Sandra

It's amazing what a few comments will do.

I always knew Salsa and Sandra were very fiery, opinionated and emotional posters.

When two similar locomotives collide... watch out!

(I was going to make a catfight comment, but Salsa already convinced me it wasn't like that)

It's amazing what a few comments will do.

I always knew Salsa and Sandra were very fiery, opinionated and emotional posters.

When two similar locomotives collide... watch out!

(I was going to make a catfight comment, but Salsa already convinced me it wasn't like that)

She has HER strong opinions and I have mine. Like being at home all over again with my 5 sisters.....no beef with her personally.;)

slightly off-topic, i shouldn't be shocked at all when i finally had a chance to watch sports television about this when whose face is looking back at me but my former sentinel collegue selena roberts. and to think she once covered nascar and high school sports in volusia county in '92 when i started freelancing for the paper.

in any event, selena is probably one of the most hated yet revered sports writers in the country. back in the day, she always said her dream was to write for si and by gosh she got there.

my sports reporting career really never made it out of neutral (because it was my own fault as another former collegue kept trying to get me to apply for a full-time job). but i have always respected selena because she won't sugar coat anything she writes!

Pardon me for having forgotten the details of matters discussed at length here and elsewhere a coouple of years ago, but what specific performance enhancing substances were prohibited in 2003? Players improve their performance by taking B12. Babe Ruth improved his performance by drinking beer.

If Griffey could have stayed away from those injuries that he has had during his mlb career. He probably would have had nearly as many home runs as Barry Bonds has now.

I would love to see Griffey back in a Mariner uniform. He may not get as many HR's as Bonds but they are all authentic.

It's gotten to the point now that I'm looking at everybody in sports and wondering if they're "juiced" or real. This really took some of the excitement out of the new season for me.

Pardon me for having forgotten the details of matters discussed at length here and elsewhere a coouple of years ago, but what specific performance enhancing substances were prohibited in 2003? Players improve their performance by taking B12. Babe Ruth improved his performance by drinking beer.

And let's not forget "greenies" and other things that were taken that the public may not know about.

I mean if you look at the term "performance enhancement"...isn't getting 'Tommy John' surgery performance enhancement? Isn't getting rotator cuff surgery, performance enhancement?? Hell, what about lasik eye surgery isn't THAT performance enhancement? The injuries I mentioned above, isn't it that the body is telling you that your should not do what your doing to your arm or the body just say, 'that's it....I am done and I quit...'?

Next week should be REALLY interesting here in Miami....as usual, when the Miami Hurricanes baseball team open the season at the Mark Light Stadium @ Alex Rodriguez Park.....he ALWAYS opens it up with a little presser....with the World Baseball Classic right around the corner, Spring Training opening up in less than 10 days and all this steroids stuff popping up again....EVERYONE that covers baseball WORLD WIDE will be in Miami to grill him on what happened and what does he have to say.

Would it be cool if he threw EVERYONE a curveball and say, "Yep...I did it, I admit it and I am sorry....kids PLEASE do not follow the path I took and I apologize for any damage I have 'caused....!"

It's gotten to the point now that I'm looking at everybody in sports and wondering if they're "juiced" or real. This really took some of the excitement out of the new season for me.

My sentiments exactly!

I've been listening to some idiot Red Sox fans, (probably the same ones that chant "Yankees suck" at the Garden during Bruins or Celtics games :rolleyes:) saying how great this is that "A-Fraud" has been exposed.

THEY DON'T GET IT!!

This isn't about the Yankees.

This IS about the once great game of baseball's credibility taking another shot in the onions. Now ALL players will be put under the microscope.

What's great about that?

My sentiments exactly!

I've been listening to some idiot Red Sox fans, (probably the same ones that chant "Yankees suck" at the Garden during Bruins or Celtics games :rolleyes:) saying how great this is that "A-Fraud" has been exposed.

THEY DON'T GET IT!!

This isn't about the Yankees.

This IS about the once great game of baseball's credibility taking another shot in the onions. Now ALL players will be put under the microscope.

What's great about that?

Funny thing is, would these same idiots be saying the same thing if he had signed with Boston? NO!:rolleyes: And don't know WHY they take great glee, I mean it's not like the MLB office will immediately suspend him indefinately. This happened 6 years ago....I really don't think baseball's brass can do anything about something that happened 6 years AND was supposed to be sealed....or is there?

Funny thing is, would these same idiots be saying the same thing if he had signed with Boston? NO!:rolleyes: And don't know WHY they take great glee, I mean it's not like the MLB office will immediately suspend him indefinately. This happened 6 years ago....I really don't think baseball's brass can do anything about something that happened 6 years AND was supposed to be sealed....or is there?

Nope....nothing MLB can do about it.

I mean if you look at the term "performance enhancement"...isn't getting 'Tommy John' surgery performance enhancement? Isn't getting rotator cuff surgery, performance enhancement??
I'll give you that lasik surgery could possibly be interpreted as enhancement, but wouldn't rotator cuff, Tommy John, reconstructive knee surgeries, etc. be considered corrective procedures?? In other words, correcting an injury to hopefully get you back to where you were before...

Plus, all the ones you mentioned aren't illegal in the context used, unlike steroids....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)