Alignment Issue??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Support Forum' started by Danny001, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Danny001

Danny001 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

I've setup a few dozen slimlines over the last few years just casually for buddies moving etc. This one here I'm stumped. I'm getting 98% on 101 96% on all 103s but on 99ca I cant peak higher than 70% or 81% on 99cb. I just spent nearly hour trying every combo of adjustments I can think of to no avail. I don't know if it's an los issue or not. Here is a picture of LOS

Any tips ?

Attached Files:

2. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

The los is probably higher than you think. The actual elevation angle is in the antenna menu setup. Your skew may be off a bit. Are you trying to align the dish with a meter or just the signal strength menu? There are smart phone apps that will locate the satellites for you. They aren't exact, but will give you a good idea of where the sats are.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo SatelliteGuys Master Lifetime Supporter

I had the same issue a few weeks ago at the Cottage ... turned out to be a LOS issue.

4. Danny001

Just using the meters in the menu. Used dish pointer as always to preset the dish

When you say the LOS is likely higher than I think do you mean the tree likely is blocking to an extent ?

5. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

No, I mean it's probably higher so the alignment is probably the issue. That's why I suggesting using an app to get a general idea of where the sats are located.

6. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Master Supporting Founder

Dish is likely bent. I had one I dropped off my counter at work. No physical damage but couldn’t get above 80 on 103 and 99.

Had to get a new dish and it lined up in less than a minute.

Keep in mind I’m using a $500 aim meter

7. Danny001

Well I moved it to a spot I thought would be better LOS 103 now lower and 99 now a bit higher. The fall when the leaves clear will tell the tale. If in the fall I can't peak it any better than we will get a new dish.

Separate names with a comma.

More...