Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
I am going to start a new thread.

Iceberg! If you think it needs to be merged into my DSR-920 thread, feel free to do so. I am going to have some specific questions about the dish I found today and I don't want to hi-jack Gabshare's thread about his adventures in dish hunting, so here goes. It is related to the 920 thread as far as dish hunting, but different.

I started dish hunting about 11:00 this morning on my way back from being at a client.

I knew where there was an older subdivision about 15 miles away. I decided to swing in there on my way to Lowes. I got in the subdivision and went a block and turned the corner and three houses down, I spotted my first dish. It was a ten foot Unimesh. It was in pretty good shape and was turned all the way to the East. The holes in the mesh were a little too big for my taste. Bigger than my existing Winegard.

Drove down the street and turned on a side street and there was a 7' Unimesh. that one was a little too small for my taste. I didn't talk to the owners of the previous two dishes, but knew I could get them because of how they were pointed, wires cut etc.

Turned a couple of other corners and down the street was a huge dish on the top of a house. There were cars in the drive, so I went up to the door. The wife answered and I said, "I see you have a big dish on your roof". She said hold on a sec. She turned around and yelled down the basement steps to her husband. "Get up here. There's a guy here that wants to talk about the dish". I almost started laughing. :D

The husband came outside and we started talking. He said it was newer than their previous one which had been damaged so I asked if there was a way to get closer to see it. He took me around to the back porch and said that I could get on the roof better from there. I didn't have a ladder with me and his was an old wooden one so I didn't go up. It was a Winegard and it looked exactly like mine.

I asked if he wanted to get rid of it, and he said "yes, please take it down". :D I told him that I might come back if I didn't find one easier to get to. He said come anytime whether we are home or not. Just take it with you.

Went to Lowes and ate lunch. Went to another older subdivision, and did the same thing. Went in about a block and turned right, and immediately left and I spotted this dish about 3 houses away. When I looked at it from a distance, I could see right through it. Looked like a silhouette that was see through. Drove down the street and parked in front of the house where it was. Knocked on the door and no one was home. I decided to sneak around back for just a quick peak.

There she stood in all her glory! A full 8.5 foot Birdview dish. I couldn't believe that I had actually found one. I have read bits and pieces about them here, but thought no one around here would buy that kind of dish.

Went back to the car and just as I did the owner came home. We started talking and went back around back to look more closely. I asked a few questions and he answered. Then I asked if he wanted to get rid of it.

He said, "Yeah, I think it is time that I did, there hasn't been anything on C-Band except encrypted stuff for quite a while." I asked if everything worked and he took me inside where he had the original Birdview receivers. Two of them. He said he hadn't turned it on in a couple of years, but guaranteed everything to work.

He said I could have it for taking it down. :D I almost passed out. :D

I told him It would take a few days, and he said that would be fine. He said to come on anytime. He didn't need to be there. I thanked him and left.

Drove home and got the camera, paper to write on. Already had a tape in the car.

Here are the pics and then some questions.

birdview-8-5-footer.jpg birdview-back-mount.jpg birdview-feedhorn-mount.jpg

birdview-holes.jpg birdview-scaler-ring.jpg inside-the-birdview-lnb.jpg

First, will this dish pull in great Ku signal? I have read where the holes can't be bigger than a #2 pencil. These holes are almost the same size as a #2 pencil. 1/4"

Second, is this what they call a perforated aluminum dish? The aluminum is at least 1/8" thick.

Third, is the motor on the back compatible with what I think is called a reed-sensor motor?

Fourth, will it work with a VBox II?

5th, will there be less wind resistance with the size of the holes what they are?

6th, I assume the polar mount to be what is known as a true almost 180 degree H-H mount. Is that what it is?

7th, will a Co-Rotor II slide into the existing scaler rings?

That's the questions for now. I told the guy I would take it and would be back for it as soon as possible. I was stunned when he gave it to me. It is built like a tank. I couldn't get it even to shake in any direction. I think I could crawl into it and take a nap and it wouldn't even sag! :D

If you have any links to information, manuals, specs, assembly instructions etc, please post them.

Finally, if you need a dish of any kind, and don't have the funds to pay a lot of money, get out there and meet people. Don't be afraid to knock on a stranger's door. Trust me, they are usually more than happy for you to take a big dish out of their yard.

Sometimes you get more than the dish. :D

Hey George,

Thanks!

I would say that I am blessed.

I hope it works as good for Ku signal as I think it will, otherwise, it might not be as good a prize as I had hoped. :D

Maybe someone who has one or used one will chime in with some answers to the questions.

i also found a Birdview last week but i didn't talk to the owner and its solid H-H mount. I would say that Birdview was the caddy of dishes for c band. You can use the scaler and use a Chap Co-Rotor II should slide in.

I am going to start a new thread.

Iceberg! If you think it needs to be merged into my DSR-920 thread, feel free to do so. I am going to have some specific questions about the dish I found today and I don't want to hi-jack Gabshare's thread about his adventures in dish hunting, so here goes. It is related to the 920 thread as far as dish hunting, but different.

I started dish hunting about 11:00 this morning on my way back from being at a client.

I knew where there was an older subdivision about 15 miles away. I decided to swing in there on my way to Lowes. I got in the subdivision and went a block and turned the corner and three houses down, I spotted my first dish. It was a ten foot Unimesh. It was in pretty good shape and was turned all the way to the East. The holes in the mesh were a little too big for my taste. Bigger than my existing Winegard.

Drove down the street and turned on a side street and there was a 7' Unimesh. that one was a little too small for my taste. I didn't talk to the owners of the previous two dishes, but knew I could get them because of how they were pointed, wires cut etc.

Turned a couple of other corners and down the street was a huge dish on the top of a house. There were cars in the drive, so I went up to the door. The wife answered and I said, "I see you have a big dish on your roof". She said hold on a sec. She turned around and yelled down the basement steps to her husband. "Get up here. There's a guy here that wants to talk about the dish". I almost started laughing. :D

The husband came outside and we started talking. He said it was newer than their previous one which had been damaged so I asked if there was a way to get closer to see it. He took me around to the back porch and said that I could get on the roof better from there. I didn't have a ladder with me and his was an old wooden one so I didn't go up. It was a Winegard and it looked exactly like mine.

I asked if he wanted to get rid of it, and he said "yes, please take it down". :D I told him that I might come back if I didn't find one easier to get to. He said come anytime whether we are home or not. Just take it with you.

Went to Lowes and ate lunch. Went to another older subdivision, and did the same thing. Went in about a block and turned right, and immediately left and I spotted this dish about 3 houses away. When I looked at it from a distance, I could see right through it. Looked like a silhouette that was see through. Drove down the street and parked in front of the house where it was. Knocked on the door and no one was home. I decided to sneak around back for just a quick peak.

There she stood in all her glory! A full 8.5 foot Birdview dish. I couldn't believe that I had actually found one. I have read bits and pieces about them here, but thought no one around here would buy that kind of dish.

Went back to the car and just as I did the owner came home. We started talking and went back around back to look more closely. I asked a few questions and he answered. Then I asked if he wanted to get rid of it.

He said, "Yeah, I think it is time that I did, there hasn't been anything on C-Band except encrypted stuff for quite a while." I asked if everything worked and he took me inside where he had the original Birdview receivers. Two of them. He said he hadn't turned it on in a couple of years, but guaranteed everything to work.

He said I could have it for taking it down. :D I almost passed out. :D

I told him It would take a few days, and he said that would be fine. He said to come on anytime. He didn't need to be there. I thanked him and left.

Drove home and got the camera, paper to write on. Already had a tape in the car.

Here are the pics and then some questions.

View attachment 15214 View attachment 15215 View attachment 15216

View attachment 15217 View attachment 15218 View attachment 15219

First, will this dish pull in great Ku signal? I have read where the holes can't be bigger than a #2 pencil. These holes are almost the same size as a #2 pencil. 1/4"

Second, is this what they call a perforated aluminum dish? The aluminum is at least 1/8" thick.

Third, is the motor on the back compatible with what I think is called a reed-sensor motor?

Fourth, will it work with a VBox II?

5th, will there be less wind resistance with the size of the holes what they are?

6th, I assume the polar mount to be what is known as a true almost 180 degree H-H mount. Is that what it is?

7th, will a Co-Rotor II slide into the existing scaler rings?

That's the questions for now. I told the guy I would take it and would be back for it as soon as possible. I was stunned when he gave it to me. It is built like a tank. I couldn't get it even to shake in any direction. I think I could crawl into it and take a nap and it wouldn't even sag! :D

If you have any links to information, manuals, specs, assembly instructions etc, please post them.

Finally, if you need a dish of any kind, and don't have the funds to pay a lot of money, get out there and meet people. Don't be afraid to knock on a stranger's door. Trust me, they are usually more than happy for you to take a big dish out of their yard.

Sometimes you get more than the dish. :D

Hey Linuxman,

I found the same dish as stated in my thread: http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=91327

Lucky you, yours is alot loser to the ground :)

You do have to purchase the birdview reed sensor from skyvision so it will be compatible with today's receivers with built-in dish movers. I wondered why they never integrated their receivers with dish movers. Humm...:confused:

Cool!!

I just started reading through the C-Band section with a search on birdview.

It seems it will work with a VBox II if I install a reed sensor converter. :D

WOOHoo!!

The thread also said it would work fine with Ku. :D

Wow, I'm excited for you! Shes a real beauty! Saw what you meant by standing in its glory, lol, wow. I'm sorry I didn't have anything useful to say, but that thing is in great condition!

Wanted to add a side note. I periodically update my windows background to cool CBand themed pictures (every so often, a picture from Nasa's image gallery), and didn't realize that the high up Birdview of djkurious was my current background, until I closed internet explorer right after reading this thread, lol. Looks like Im getting another new picture :D

Thanks somery!!

I'll probably be putting that picture on my desktop background too. :D

And Thanks dfergie!!

Everyone should get out there and see what they can find before they are all gone. I don't know how many dishes I have passed up because they were neglected and are mostly beyond repair. I called a guy yesterday on a lead from a friend. He said that he has been trying to get someone to take his dish for years.

He and his sons finally took it down and hauled it to the recycle center just a week before I called. He sounded very sad that he hadn't waited another week. If he had, I probably wouldn't have this one, because I know he took care of his dish.

Get out there and go dish hunting!!! :D

Get out there before the leaves start coming on. They are easier to find that way.

Also, once you get into a subdivision, drive about 5 mph. There are only 10-20 feet between houses and it is easy to miss a dish in the back yard at speeds higher than that. :D

oh believe me. i drive real slow. bought me a trailor the other day. i wanted to break it in by hauling a big dish home;) maybe 2? lol i already have 6 in my back yard. might as well buy some more. gf said they look tacky but ill just haul them to my land out in the country.(parents land) i mean LOL

My neighbor has a 7' mesh, pretty doubtful they (her and new husband)use it (I bought my 8' from her late husband about 10 years ago when he got the 7'er) but I have a 10' BUD and 8' BUD a PhaseIII 2 Dish 500's and a dish 300 going right now along with a fortec 80cm (3 D* single lnb and 1 E* 300 inactive and my Phase III and Dish 1000 that I take camping, depends on what I want to watch)

Sigh. I can't ever find one, except for the one an old lady down the street has and won't give it up even though it never moves, it's a solid one too. This must have been a good reception area back in the day, there are a LOT of BUDs around but all seem to be 6-7.5 feet. Lots of hail here too, so mesh dishes take a beating. Several of the smaller mesh dishes are on H-H mounts though, maybe worth taking one down just to get the mount.

Hi dem0nlord,

There is a Birdview out there with your name on it. :D

When all is over with here on the C-Band side, I will have a couple of dishes left that I might use the H-H mount and find a 1.2 solid dish and put it together and make it a Prime Focus Ku. I'll have two 18" jacks that work to put on them. Might be a good experiment. :D

About 15 years ago or so a entrepenuer put in a cable system out here ( rural area) and a village about 8 miles East of me... (he sold out to the local cities cable company)I looked at his commercial VCII descramblers(on racks), heck he offered to sell me one but I figured nah... doh, I should have bought his 12 or 14' dishes ;)

Thanks djkurious!!!

I think I found your thread and was just starting to read it.

Does your dish get pretty good Ku signal?

I have not got the dish down yet. the owner told me to take my time so I will wait till May. 2 doors down I saw a house with a Fortec dish in the yard. I wonder if that guy is on this forum. I will go talk to him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)