All channels except StarzHD 261 and 262

Status
Not open for further replies.
If im not mistaken when you first get it installed and up and running it takes a good amount of time to get your upgrade and your programming all up and going so alot of the info doesnt show nore do the channels...it does it slowly but surely...i was told it an take as long as 36 hrs before everything shows up.

I had a friend check his diplexors that the installer left behind with his Voom install. He told me that all of them were bad. So I am having Voom send the installer back out to replace my diplexor.

I have gotten my problem fix. What happen was when they upgraded my antenna they forgot to remove the powered diplexor from the orginal Stealth antenna. The power was causing a short which messed up the channels just in one receiver.

Update: Removed the diplexers, still doesn't work

Had a Voom service call today. They removed the diplexers and ran a second line. Now I have two completely separate lines to the Voom box -- one from the dish, one from the OTA antenna. But still no StarzHD and the other missing channels. After running the new line and getting no improvement, the installers spent about half an hour on the phone with Voom tech support and then with Installs, Inc. Nodbody could figure out what the problem was. Voom was again claiming that it was a problem on their end. I asked the installers how that could be since most customers do get those channels. They were stumped.

I contacted Joe Harkins. He is sending the installers back out to repoint the dish. I am in the DC area, and even on a perectly clear day, my signal quality (on the channels that work) is about 75, and on the missing channels its about 60 I understand it should be over 90 on the good channels. Will let you know if this helps.

So it looks like for the missing Starz problem, the diplexer is not always the source of the problem.

I have a service call scheduled for Tues. afternoon 5-11 for the Starz problem on one of my STBs, I was told they are going to switch out the STB in question and make sure everything else is ok. I have 2 STBs both connected with a diplexer, one works fine and the other does not. I was originally told that this was a known problem on Voom's end, and that they are working on it. But after reading this thread I called back in for a follow up. The tech I spoke to the second time seemed perplexed that no service call was setup the first time. I will post the results of service call tomorrow afternoon.

My solution to this was that the installers put the power injector on thereby preventing the voltage change going to the dish to change the polarity....So throw out those poer injectors if you have a 1 wire install with diplexors!

rc

mike528 said:
They removed the diplexers... But still no StarzHD and the other missing channels.
Have them check/replace the LNB!

Ilya said:
Have them check/replace the LNB!

I'm already on my second LNB (and my second settop box too) -- they replaced those on service call no. 2. Its possible to get two bad LNBs in a row, but it seems unlikely.
My service call history is as follows:

1. Initial installation. Sketchy Starz -- sometimes present but pixellating, often missing completely
2. Replaced the diplexers, the LNB, and the STB, and repointed dish. No Starz.
3. Removed diplexers completely, ran second line. still no Starz.
4. Coming Friday -- we'll see what happens. Joe Harkins has given the installers his number and asked them to call when they get there.
Voom and Installs, Inc. do seem to be trying to make this right, I have to give them credit there!

txdude said:
I have a service call scheduled for Tues. afternoon 5-11 for the Starz problem on one of my STBs, I was told they are going to switch out the STB in question and make sure everything else is ok. I have 2 STBs both connected with a diplexer, one works fine and the other does not. I was originally told that this was a known problem on Voom's end, and that they are working on it. But after reading this thread I called back in for a follow up. The tech I spoke to the second time seemed perplexed that no service call was setup the first time. I will post the results of service call tomorrow afternoon.

I had a very bad experience with the techs that came out this afternoon. They were both very rude and I'm still not sure whether they were lazy or just incompetent, but in any case my problem was not fixed and I was treated very rudely in my own home :mad:

First off, I called in for a service call for two problems. #1. 261 & 262 problem as discussed in this thread and #2. an excessive rain fade problem which I have been documenting for about a month and a half. The rain fade problem has recently become more and more apparent as we are now entering our rainy season here in North Texas. This has caused me to lose my signal completely for up to three hours in just light to moderate rain to the south east of my house and light to no rain at my house. Maybe it's me, but with no storms on my local doppler radar and just light rain, I feel this shouldn't be such a pronounced problem.

Back to the service call... Installs Inc. sent two guys from Satellite Installation Services. When they first arrived I took it as a good sign that there were two of them. I figured the issue would be resolved quickly and effectively. Sadly I was very wrong :no

When they first arrived I showed them the problem with starz 261 & 262 and how they worked on one STB but not the other. Without looking at my setup one of them told me in an accusatory tone that I must have some type of amplifier on the line to be having this kind of problem. I showed them that there was no amplifier on the line and advised them that the only device on the line was a diplexer that was installed outside.

They quickly pulled out a new STB and one guy proceeded to attempt to disconnect my old STB with the power to my HDTV and my Audio system still on, obviously very careless about other peoples property. This irked me but in interest of having my problem fixed, I bit my tongue and powered down the equipment myself via remote.

With the new STB hooked up, the problem was still there. This didn't surprise me, but I figured it was a good first step in troubleshooting. That is until one of them told me that that was all they could do and that there is "no fix" for this problem. They pulled out their form and wanted me to sign it. This had me taken back. So I asked them couldn't it be a polarity problem? or a problem with the wiring? the LBN? or the diplexer? and so forth. I did so, so that they would be aware I wasn't about to accept some BS excuse about there being no fix. They both immediately dismissed all those sugesstions and chuckled at me as if my suggestions were ridiculous. They told me to let the STB "take" for a while and maybe it would fix itself.

Obviously by this time I was upset so I demanded that they look at the other equipment. They reluctantly went out and replaced the diplexer after I requested that they do so. This had no effect on the problem, and once again I was told that there was nothing else that they could do. "our job is done here" one said. Frustrated, I told them that was unacceptable considering they have not even bothered to check the dish or the rest of the wiring. I was told in a very condescending tone that the problem was not my dish or wiring since I was receiving other channels and the dish "only points to one spot". The guy then proceeded make negative comments about Voom.

I was at the end of my rope with these guys but tried to remain civil. I asked them to bypass the diplexer altogether and only hookup the SAT to the STB in question for troubleshooting purposes. If this resolved the problem, I said, then the diplexer is causing this problem. They both refused and said that Voom would not allow them to connect it without a diplexer and therefore they will not bother troubleshooting without one. At this point I felt like I was in a bad cable tv commercial aimed preventing people from switching form cable to satellite. I grabbed my phone and dialed voom... They both shook their heads at me and laughed as if I was being unreasonable, mumbled something about me choosing voom and went out front to their trucks.

After waiting a few minutes I got a Voom TSR on the line. I explained to her what my issue was and that the techs dispatched were refusing to troubleshoot my problem, being very rude and had yet to address the rain fade problem. While the Voom TSR was very nice, she was not aware of what would would resolve this particular problem. I suggested to her that I believe it is a polarity problem. She put me on hold while she researched the issue. During this time that I was on hold the two techs came back into my house. I asked if they could check into the other issue (excessive rain fade) that I had called in about. I described to them the type of problems that I've been having and they said this is perfectly normal and there was nothing they could do about that either. :shocked Apparently these guys couldn't do anything!!!

Still on hold and trying to keep from yelling... I told them that was absolutely ridiculous that they could do nothing at all about either of my problems. They both said that they need to go. Having long lost my confidence in them being able to fix anything I asked them for their names and their supervisor his number. after some back and forth they finally provided me this information and I asked them to leave.

When the Voom TSR came back on the line she confirmed that this is most likely a polarity problem as I had suggested. She said that the techs should be able to resolve this issue and possibly may have to change out my LNB. When I told her that the techs were gone and what had happened while I was on hold she apologized profusely. She wanted to contact the contractor and have them come back immediately and fix the problem. I told her that I did not want either of those guys in my house again and I did not want that contractor handling the problem either... She agreed and setup a new service call with Installs Inc. and provided me with a number to place a complaint and request that a different installer be sent out. I did just that and placed a complaint with their supervisor as well.

I have a new service a call set up for Sat. afternoon with the contractor that originally installed my equipment. I'll keep everyone here updated on how it goes.

It is really unbelievable that people like this work for the satellite industry. Gee... It makes me sick to read this.

txdude,

I would of asked for $20 dollars credit for all your troubles off your next Voom billing for all your troubles.

My service call for today has been postponed for a few days. Installs, Inc. decided to send my installer a larger dish (24" I assume), and they are waiting for that to arrive. Hope the larger dish will address rain fade and also boost signal strength up to the level where Starz comes in.

txdude, as indicated above, changing diplexers did not help my situation either, and even removing them completely didn't help. I hope your Saturday service call goes well.

Problem Solved!

First off, to anyone in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area: I recommend requesting that Metro-Tech Solutions handle any service calls or installations. They have provided me with quick, friendly, and competent service, first for my install and now for this problem.

The polarity problem that the previous contractor told me was not fixable was fixed in less than 5 minutes by Metro Tech Solutions. Apparently the Winegard diplexer which I had, allows voltage from the STB to travel back to the other STBs that are connected to diplexer. This happens because the STBs are designed to supply power to the antenna. This was the cause of my polarity issue. The simple fix was the installation of a 35-DTV34MINI Digital Multi-Switch I was told this diplexer prevents voltage from one STB affecting the others. This solved the problem immediately. I'm very happy with the quick solution. :D

Also, I have decided to stick with my 18" dish until voom rolls out new dishes.

Starz finally seems fixed!

Finally, the problem with the missing channels (204, 206, 226, 229, 261, 262, 301, and 305), seems to be fixed with the installation of a 24" dish.

mike528 said:
My service call history is as follows:

1. Initial installation. Sketchy Starz -- sometimes present but pixellating, often missing completely
2. Replaced the diplexers, the LNB, and the STB, and repointed dish. Starz still does not work.
3. Removed diplexers completely, ran a second line. Still no Starz.

4. Replaced 18" dish with a 24" dish. All missing channels began coming in!

The larger dish improved my signal quality dramatically. On the previously working channels, signal quality went from 78-80 up to 94-95. On the previously missing channels, the quality went from the 60s (no picture at all) to 88-89. (All of these numbers are for slightly hazy skies on a hot, humid day).

The problem for me seemed to be that signal quality is substanially weaker on my system on the previously missing channels than on the others. Even with the bigger dish, it is still about 6 points weaker, but it is now well within an acceptable range. I assume that this larger dish will help a lot with rain too, and I suspect that if rain fade occurs, it will be the Starz channels that are first to drop out.

The installer remarked that he has done very few 24" dish installs for any satellite company; they are more common with commercial customers. He said he thought all the satellite companies should start making them standard equipment -- they are a little more expensive initially, but the greatly improved signal quality would eliminate a lot of service calls for people having rain fade issues, etc.

I know that removing diplexers has solved the missing Starz problem for many people, but it didn't solve it for me. The larger dish did it. However, here is a detail I didn't post previously: Removing the diplexers and running a second line did improve my OTA reception somewhat. Channels that I used to get are now even more stable and easy to tune, and a couple of weaker stations that I could not get at all now come in fine. So I have no quarrel with those who say that its best not to use diplexers if you can avoid it. I am definitely glad that Voom ran the second line for my antenna.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice and suggestions. I hope that my experience is helpful to someone who may encounter problems like this.

And a big thanks to Joe Harkins of Installs, Inc., who followed up with this problem and got the larger dish ordered for me before his departure.

mike528 said:
Finally, the problem with the missing channels (204, 206, 226, 229, 261, 262, 301, and 305), seems to be fixed with the installation of a 24" dish.
The problem for me seemed to be that signal quality is substanially weaker on my system on the previously missing channels than on the others. Even with the bigger dish, it is still about 6 points weaker, but it is now well within an acceptable range....

Glad that you have the problem solved. Enjoy.

I remember that when I was repeaking my antenna I could get the strongest signal either for those previously missing channels or for the rest of the lineup but not for all of them. Now the signal on those previously missing channels is ~2 points stronger than on the others (96-97 vs 94-95). It is strange because all of them are on the same bird. The only difference is polarity.

This thread has grown too big. Almost a hundred postings! To help new VOOMers I decided to start a new thread and provide a quick summary of the problem and known solutions. Hope, this will be helpful.

This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)