Alternative to 129w ??

Dee Ann you don't need a cherry picker to remove trees. An experienced tree person can and does use tree hooks, gaffs, to climb the tree and remove limbs, etc. Maybe you could talk to the neighbor and ask if it would be alright to remove some trees, on your dime, to fix the issue.....

If you helped set her up with a no contract DISH account could she change to Directv with 99/101/103 so she can get HD programming?

Directv requires a contract which she doesnt want (from her previous posts)
I didnt "help" her with anything. She bought the 211k I had when I had Dish and got setup through DIRT :)

No way Jose on DTV.. They have a lousy choice of HD channels anyway. And I just don't like them.

But anyway..

Here's my problem..

This one, the line is a little off, the camera was tilted so it was hard to line it up right.

My dishes are all out in the middle of the yard via buried wires. The trees are everywhere and have the whole flippin yard socked in with just a little peep hole to peer through to the south.
My big C-band looking at 87w was even having problems but I had a guy cut a limb down that was hanging directly in the way. He's an idiot though, he ripped me off on something else so I will never do business with him again. In the winter, everything comes in great. The problem is, we don't have but about 1 month of coolish weather here and only about 2 months where the trees go bare.

There are trees all around the place, on all the sides in all the neighbors yards blocking my view of the far east and far west satellites. I just can't hit 61 or 72. I use dishes that are exceptionally oversized to compensate for the trees and it does help. The little toy dishes that Dish Network provides are not adequate and I have no interest in them. Mounting one of those little dishes to my house, would not help matters at all, there is no clear LOS to them from my house. So the dishes out in the yard are my only option. I just wish Dish would put an HD satellite in the middle of the sky..

It's a shame we can't have a little ~brush fire~ out back one day.. :dev
I would be standing there :cheer2:ing it on... :dev:dev:dev:dev:dev:dev

Not knowing distance, looks like a post by the power pole and some minor trimming could get you free and clear. YES, you would need to get a 3".

Also, back by the left corner of your fence. But, Ice is right, just top those few branches. Looks like you have several options.

Last edited:
Here we go.. A list that's readable.

When I first put up the 1.2m for 129w, I used my OLD (pre USB) Bird dog meter which didn't really let me tweak the dish because the signal was too strong.
It was 'winter' and the trees were naked. The signal was weak but more or less worked. Then I tweaked the dish by taking the tuner out in the yard to the dish and I got rather strong signals and all was well. However, the trees were still naked. Now, it's like Cambodia back there and it's a real problem. But if there are no satellites for HD in the center of the arc, I'll give up on that and focus on getting the tree taken down. I was HOPING to find an easier way around this problem.

Thanks guys.. :)

I'll bet a standard EA dish would work just fine if placed on a pole in front of, or slightly to the west of the C band. IMHO that's an awful lot of sky free/clear to declare defeat on 72.7!

I'll bet a standard EA dish would work just fine if placed on a pole in front of, or slightly to the west of the C band. IMHO that's an awful lot of sky free/clear to declare defeat on 72.7!

I checked it a long time ago.. I can not hit 72.7, there are trees in the LOS of it as well. 61.5 is completely obscured.

It's actually worse than appears in these pictures, it's hard as heck to snap a screen shot on an iPhone 3GS without moving a lot, it's very awkward to press the home and power buttons at the same time without obscuring the camera lens. But trust me, when I hold the phone steady and it stabilizes after a few seconds, the trees are all very much in the way. The trees blocking the eastern end, I can't touch, they don't hang over the fence and they are too far inside the property line for me to meddle with them and not get in trouble. The trees to the west that are blocking 129, they do very much hang over into my yard and I have every legal right in the world to cut them down. The problem is that it will be expensive to have it done. :(

The "free/clear sky" that is available to me is 83w to 123w. Anything outside of that, I have tree problems.

My dishes vs the toy dish.

My "Dish" dishes are all 1m and above.

Using a standard issue Dish dish, like the 1000.x type, you have one small dish that's trying to hit three satellites at the same time.
I have three physically separate dishes that are considerably larger and each dish is aimed directly at the target satellite and fine tuned to it.
Rain fade? What's that?? Before the tree greened up and blocked 129, we had some very heavy rains and I never once noticed any rain fade at all. It was as good as if I was watching C-band.

Next week I'll have a 1.8m dish that I'm going to use for 129. I'll move the 1.2m dish to either 110 or 119. I don't know which one yet but I'll go through and figure out what channels I watch most between the two and use it accordingly.
I have no interest in dinky little toy dishes. If I could get bigger dishes, I would use them. If I had three 10' dishes, I would aim them at 110/119/129 and never, ever miss anything ever again.
But who knows? I may end up "buying the farm" and bring home three 11' dishes in addition to the 4m dish I'm getting. THAT would fix it..

Anyway...... So yeah.. I get it that I have to aim to the far extremes of east or west and there is nothing in the middle of the arc. :(
I get it that I'm going to have to pay someone to cut some limbs down.

Nothing more I can do about it except sit and wait until I can afford to have it done. In the mean time I'll try to compensate with a larger dish.

Thanks.. :)

:lock1:

jxelKrQn4scKA.PNG

It is a bit hard to tell without the ground in the picture, but it sure looks like if you could put a 1000.2 or .4 a bit east of where this pic was taken, you would be golden. That is a lot of open sky.

Next week I'll have a 1.8m dish that I'm going to use for 129.
unless its a offset dish that wont help (Prime Focus dishes will actually be worse on DBS). Honestly no matter how large the dish is, tree blockage is just that...blockage. This isnt like rain fade where the larger dish will help with it. SInce there is an obstruction a larger dish still wont do much good.

It is a bit hard to tell without the ground in the picture, but it sure looks like if you could put a 1000.2 or .4 a bit east of where this pic was taken, you would be golden. That is a lot of open sky.

That's my thought as well. Move the 129 dish farther east, or put up one for 72.7 at a point a bit west (or north, or northwest) of where you were standing to take the left shot in post 29. You are oh so close to getting 72.7.

Was that the DishPointer virtual reality app, by the way?

unless its a offset dish that wont help (Prime Focus dishes will actually be worse on DBS). Honestly no matter how large the dish is, tree blockage is just that...blockage. This isnt like rain fade where the larger dish will help with it. SInce there is an obstruction a larger dish still wont do much good.

It is an offset. Prodelin 0179-189 :)

Slightly different version of my dish but essentially the same thing.

The arms were bent but my dad took them home to straighten them out. At least I won't have to make replacements from a lawn chair like I did for that 1m Primestar. :D

I know that the bigger dish won't help that much with the obstruction but it sure couldn't hurt anything! :D

I guess I need to plan on buying some more 3" and 4" pipes to put these things on. And probably 8" pipe for the big Patriot dish.. :eek:

Also, just curious, why do you have so many archaic dishes in your yard?

They all work, 100%.. I watch FTA with them.

I learned about FTA first, and over the past 3 or 4 years, I was fortunate enough to have had the good fortune of learning how to install satellite dishes with a lot of help from the great folks here and a LOT of sweat and cursing. I recently decided to subscribe to Dish and I converted three FTA dishes to circular ku.

They aren't archaic at all if they are 100% operational. The older dishes are all US made and FAR SUPERIOR to the cr*p dishes coming out of China.
I'll take an older dish any day over a brand new one.

:)

Last edited:
They all work, 100%.. I watch FTA with them.

I learned about FTA first, and over the past 3 or 4 years, I was fortunate enough to have had the good fortune of learning how to install satellite dishes with a lot of help from the great folks here and a LOT of sweat and cursing. I recently decided to subscribe to Dish and I converted three FTA dishes to circular ku.

They aren't archaic at all if they are 100% operational. The older dishes are all US made and FAR SUPERIOR to the cr*p dishes coming out of China.
I'll take an older dish any day over a brand new one.

OK, No prob, great to have a hobby. I am also curious, couldn't that have been accomplished using a single 10 ft dish with an actuator arm?

Edit: My bad, with the tree's that would have been hard to do.

Using the 10 footer for Dish is not really an option unless absolutely necessary. She would have had to move the Dish to each sat location and then re download the guide each time it moved before it would tune a channel.

OK, No prob, great to have a hobby. I am also curious, couldn't that have been accomplished using a single 10 ft dish with an actuator arm?

Edit: My bad, with the tree's that would have been hard to do.

I acquired the dishes piecemeal over a period of several years.

I started out with a tuner card in a Home Theater that was left to me by my ex after divorce. I had no clue how it worked and I was taking it down to scrap it when I had a second thought to see if it could be fixed.
There were a few small ku dishes on a switch so that's what I had to start with. I added a few more over time and had a nice selection of FTA channels until the Equity collapse a few years ago and we lost a lot of FTA channels.
That pushed me to buy a C-band dish which was a nightmare. It was too small and I damaged it while assembling it. Then I scrounged up a 10' C-band dish and was able by nothing more than pure, dumb luck to make it work.

I tried to put an HH motor on a ku dish but my PC couldn't drive the motor so I went through several STB tuners trying to find a decent one.

A few people gave me some free ku dishes and I added them in. I've also just recently through good fortune and good friends, become the owner of a few very large commercial dishes which I'm in the process of taking down and moving to my place. Blah-blah-blah.. More dishes here and more dishes there..

When the History channel via Hotel Networks took a nosedive from FTA on Jan. 1 that nudged me to subscribe to Dish. So, I had plenty of large dishes and a few years experience installing them, and there we have it..

Bottom line, I'm too hard headed to take the easy route out.. I have to do everything the hard way..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)