AM 21 Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mpinales

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Ohio
I have HR24-100 and a AM 21. When I scan for my stations, I cannot get about10 stations. With the antenna going directly in to my TV tuner, I get all the stations.Why do I net get all local stations using the AM 21? I am in Cincinnati. Example: I get 9.1 and 9.2 but not 9.3. I don't get 20.1 -20.5
I call Directv and I was finally rudely told, just watch it on your regular TV. There is no reason not all the stations come in because the AM21 is just a plug for a regular antenna,

D* has a database of channels for every DMA for the AM21. It will only receive the channels in that database and not the ones that are not. The channels you listed are not in D* database for Cinn. You can sometimes receive channels by running secondary zip codes matching either a channel number, or an RF channel number to get the channel if your ota antenna picks the channel up. I will check for Cinn. and see what secondary zip codes will work.

Run Seattle Wa (98101) as a secondary zip. This will give you 9.3, 20.1-20.5, and 64.3-64.4 in Cincinnati. The guides will be wrong (Seattle guide) for those channels but you will be able to view and record (have to set manual recording) those channels with your AM21. This is a quick fix. I will look if you can match any channels with another city to get the correct guide on some of those channels. Also 19.3 can be picked up by running another secondary zip. I will try to match it to get the correct guide. By doing a little more checking. Run Salt Lake City (84101) before you run Seattle. This will give you a couple useful guides on 20.3 and 20.4. Then run Seattle as a secondary zip after Salt Lake. Salt Lake will give you 19.3.

Last edited:
I have HR24-100 and a AM 21. When I scan for my stations, I cannot get about10 stations. With the antenna going directly in to my TV tuner, I get all the stations.Why do I net get all local stations using the AM 21? I am in Cincinnati. Example: I get 9.1 and 9.2 but not 9.3. I don't get 20.1 -20.5
I call Directv and I was finally rudely told, just watch it on your regular TV. There is no reason not all the stations come in because the AM21 is just a plug for a regular antenna,
The AM21 (or AM22) does not really scan off-air for channels the same way your TV set and other "common sense" OTA tuner designs do.

But instead DIRECTV creates downloadable files of OTA listings for your local area code from a database produced and maintained by Tribune Media Services (TMS) and then downloads this file to your receiver(s) over the satellite during the AM21/AM22 setup.

The problem is the TMS OTA datadase has long exceeded the capacity of the system DIRECTV originally designed to produce these files which has a capacity limit of 65,535 TMS ID numbers. Therefore any station with TMS ID exceeding this number cannot be added to the downloaded list file the AM21/AM22 relies on to tune and cannot see it.

There are various work-a-rounds to "trick" the AM21/AM22 into receiving missing channels by entering secondary zip codes of other local markets during the setup. But this almost always results in having to deal with incorrect guide data for them.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

just fine a Tivo Series 3 with lifetime and be done with it. They run 125 bucks now (or less) and have two tuners and a guide that has EVERYTHING.
No need to run 18 zip codes to get channel numbers in there
and have the wrong programming info on the wrong channel
and have to set up a sh*t load of manual timers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts