Am21 and Canadian locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsoares28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Toronto
I found some old threads regarding this question but the info there doesn't seem relevant anymore seeing the zip codes tried doesn't pull in all the Canadian networks. Anyone find any zip code combo that pulls in all the Toronto locals??

Currently I'm using 12903 and 14174 but I'm missing some like 41.1, 42.1, 57.1

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you have the AM21 connected to? The HR34 and HR44 are the only ones that allow the AM21 to scan for channels. The others will only show what is in the database.

Sorry I failed to include that info.. I have an hr24. What are the best zip codes to use for Toronto locals?

I will be getting a hr44 when it comes out.. I know the genie is able to scan.. What happens to the Canadian channels? Do they show up in the guide with no info?

untill you get the hr44, your basically SOL. The hr24 has no was of getting Canadian locals, as you cannot input a Canadian zipcode. Just not possible. Now when you get the HR44, the am21 will scan for whatever locals are within reach of your antenna so to speak.

Unless there is a US zipcode that gets a few locals out of canada that I am unaware of, what your asking is simply not possible.

Will it actually scan in Canadian channels though?

untill you get the hr44, your basically SOL. The hr24 has no was of getting Canadian locals, as you cannot input a Canadian zipcode. Just not possible. Now when you get the HR44, the am21 will scan for whatever locals are within reach of your antenna so to speak.

Unless there is a US zipcode that gets a few locals out of canada that I am unaware of, what your asking is simply not possible.
Detroit may get Canada channels from Windsor, but I don't have a Scanning recvr to try.

I would think it would.

For example, in Detroit you should be able to get channel 9 out of Windsor ( that was always good for HNIC) in my younger years.

I've tried to get it with just my OTA antenna and I can, but not real good, and it's SD... I don't know if they ever went HD or if I would be able to pull in THIER HD or not.

I do have some of the Toronto locals working but I'd like to hear from ppl that have a zip combo that brings in all.

Basically if the zip code has a channel in its database that matches a Toronto channel # I'd get the Toronto channel however the guide info would be incorrect. For example zip 12903 has a CBS local under ch number 9-1.. In Toronto 9-1 is cfto.. Because I'm close to toronto my antenna picks up cfto therefore I get that channel but the guide shows info for CBS.

With the Genie and Canadian channels, what appears for the call sign of the Canadian channel? I know the guide will say "Regular Schedule" but what does it show for a call sign? I have a few subchannels that the AM21 pulls in that are in the database. They show a callsign, but it's written differently (WCWGDT3 is in the database, but WCWG-D4 is not). Just curious if it knows the call sign or put something else.

Both the HR34 and HR44 will, yes.

Detroit may get Canada channels from Windsor, but I don't have a Scanning recvr to try.

I would think it would.

For example, in Detroit you should be able to get channel 9 out of Windsor ( that was always good for HNIC) in my younger years.

I've tried to get it with just my OTA antenna and I can, but not real good, and it's SD... I don't know if they ever went HD or if I would be able to pull in THIER HD or not.

Correct, as I stated with scanning (assuming you have either a HR34/44) anything you can get OTA will show up with an am21.

I do have some of the Toronto locals working but I'd like to hear from ppl that have a zip combo that brings in all.

Basically if the zip code has a channel in its database that matches a Toronto channel # I'd get the Toronto channel however the guide info would be incorrect. For example zip 12903 has a CBS local under ch number 9-1.. In Toronto 9-1 is cfto.. Because I'm close to toronto my antenna picks up cfto therefore I get that channel but the guide shows info for CBS.

Just as I stated, if a zipcode does have some canadian locals included, they will come in (on your hr24 and any older box) however as stated by rsoares28, there are guide issues.

With the Genie and Canadian channels, what appears for the call sign of the Canadian channel? I know the guide will say "Regular Schedule" but what does it show for a call sign? I have a few subchannels that the AM21 pulls in that are in the database. They show a callsign, but it's written differently (WCWGDT3 is in the database, but WCWG-D4 is not). Just curious if it knows the call sign or put something else.

good question, and I have no idea what the answer is lol.

I would think it would.

CBC is HD only now. They shut down all of their analog transmitters last summer.

CBC is HD only now. They shut down all of their analog transmitters last summer.

It's been quite awhile since I tried to pull it in.
Might try again once the Hockey playoffs start though.
Thanks for the info.

Btw, out of Windsor is it gonna be on 9.1 ?

I may be too far away, don't know .... not sure how close to the water the towers are.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)