AM21 Hiding Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

poscher7

Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
utica,ny
I hooked up my AM 21 Tuner to my HR-24 DVR and could not get the new local channels like Antenna TV so I used a different secondary market and that worked for all of them except channel 2.3 which it shows after you have finished running the setup under edit channels option on the HR-24 but does not show in the guide and you cannot find the channel or go to it. I live in the Utica, NY market which has a channel 2 and 3 on Directv. Perhaps not enough separation for the AM21 Tuner? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

If you are using Favorites, you need to update your Favorite list. You may have to do a reset on the AM-21 and re-run setup again. I had to do that a couple of times, until my AM-21 got it right.

The only issue I can think of, is incorrect Virtual info in the PSIP data for those channels. If you hook the antenna to your tv, do the correct channels show up that way?

I hooked up my AM 21 Tuner to my HR-24 DVR and could not get the new local channels like Antenna TV so I used a different secondary market and that worked for all of them except channel 2.3 which it shows after you have finished running the setup under edit channels option on the HR-24 but does not show in the guide and you cannot find the channel or go to it. I live in the Utica, NY market which has a channel 2 and 3 on Directv. Perhaps not enough separation for the AM21 Tuner? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

The traditional local stations populate with the correct call letters and info for the stations but channels like antenna tv and retro tv show up on the right frequncy in the local digital band but with the market info and call letters for the matching frequencies of the secondary locals. What is a PSIP?

Thanks

Thanks
Try a rescan to pick up the sub-channels. Most D* OTA tuners do not allow for you to add channels (i.e. do a scan, save, move the antennae, scan and save new channels, etc.) The tuners will only show the channels from the last scan (and pre-populated channels). You can sometimes trick the tuners to show more channels by entering different zip codes and the D* will pre-populate those channels (even if the current antennae location does not receive the channel). This is kind of a trial and error process to maximize the channels the D* tuner will show.

Please note that the channel guide will not show channel information for non-pre-populated channels, but you should be able to include the channel in your channel edit settings and you should be able to tune to that channel.

At least this works with my H-20 D* tuners (I do not have an AM 21).

Reactions: Broe67
The AM21 will allow multiple scans. It will save it and build on the previous list when you scan again. Sometimes, when the receiver is reset, it will only show the last 2 zips scanned so you have to add the others in again.

The AM21 will allow multiple scans. It will save it and build on the previous list when you scan again. Sometimes, when the receiver is reset, it will only show the last 2 zips scanned so you have to add the others in again.
Thanks for the clarification. My H20 does not allow for adding channels via multiple scans. So the AM 21 should be even easier to update.

Please note that when I say "scan" above, I am referring to the complex, unknown process that the AM21 and the receiver do that scans for what is there, "looks" through the stupid database, and ignores the rest of what is there OTA, only displaying what it can match. I know it's not a traditional scan, but some sort of ... fun process.

Please note that when I say "scan" above, I am referring to the complex, unknown process that the AM21 and the receiver do that scans for what is there, "looks" through the stupid database, and ignores the rest of what is there OTA, only displaying what it can match. I know it's not a traditional scan, but some sort of ... fun process.
Did this answer your question, Poscher7?

AM21, yes, I have an answer for it.
It works, it wouldn't be necessary to have them in the first place, had they not taken the .15 tuner out of the boxes we wouldn't need them.
I have an answer for the (sh)AM21 too ....

After years of putting up with it's inability to do true OTA scans and the long obsolescence of its off-air database. Just got fed up with the whole thing and ditched it altogether for a TIVO Roamio OTA for all my off-air recordings.

Though a separate system/service not integrated into DIRECTV's GUI of course, I find it be an excellent OTA solution with true off-air scanning, accurate up to date guide data, 500 GB HDD, 4 ATSC tuners, integrated OTT streaming services, network ability etc.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

I have an answer for the (sh)AM21 too ....

After years of putting up with it's inability to do true OTA scans and the long obsolescence of its off-air database. Just got fed up with the whole thing and ditched it altogether for a TIVO Roamio OTA for all my off-air recordings.

Though a separate system/service not integrated into DIRECTV's GUI of course, I find it be an excellent OTA solution with true off-air scanning, accurate up to date guide data, 500 GB HDD, 4 ATSC tuners, integrated OTT streaming services, network ability etc.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
Great, so you spend even MORE money for something that is FREE to everyone (OTA) viewing.

Most can use thier TV tuner if they wanted to view.
I use to have a Digital recorder, but it was a pain doing Sat on one input and then OTA on another input.

I have no problem with the AM21 as I can get every channel available to me with a few different zip codes inputed.
I know not everyone can but theres really nothing that I HAVE to have channel wise outside of the channels available in my case.
I know thats not the case with everyone though.

Now, if Digital had the same range as the Analog signal did, then I would have more to complain about with the OTA set up, but that has nothing to do with D* or the AM21.

I can get all of my OTA channels with my AM21. But it really is a shame that D* hasn't simplified the situation so the AM21 could give everyone their OTA channels without such a hassle. I think a lot more customers would be very interested in getting their subchannels in there home market if D* made it the way it should be to receive them, without such a hassle. I think a lot of customers would enjoy having METV, Antenna TV, etc. in their DVR guide and able to record if it was an easy application.

I must be missing something. My antenna get more stations and sub stations than my AM21. Do I keep scanning for over the air, or do I put in a different zip of a nearby city as my primary and then do a new scan? I read the string of reposes, but I am lost is simple steps of what to do to all my stations and subs.thanks

I must be missing something. My antenna get more stations and sub stations than my AM21. Do I keep scanning for over the air, or do I put in a different zip of a nearby city as my primary and then do a new scan? I read the string of reposes, but I am lost is simple steps of what to do to all my stations and subs.thanks
Can someone help this guy out with the websites that you can use secondary zip codes to fill in the missing channels? I could use them too. That way if any future stations come up in my area, I don't have to ask you guys, like coconut.

I use my city's primary zip code, and I use a nearby city as my secondary zip code. I scan and get stations from both, but do not get all of the sub stations. As an example, I get 9.1 and 9.2 but I do not get 9.3. I can get that when I scan on an antenna input on my TV. There are also stations that I do not get at all with the AM21 that I get on my TV input.

Great, so you spend even MORE money for something that is FREE to everyone (OTA) viewing.

Most can use thier TV tuner if they wanted to view.
I use to have a Digital recorder, but it was a pain doing Sat on one input and then OTA on another input.

I have no problem with the AM21 as I can get every channel available to me with a few different zip codes inputed.
I know not everyone can but theres really nothing that I HAVE to have channel wise outside of the channels available in my case.
I know thats not the case with everyone though.

Now, if Digital had the same range as the Analog signal did, then I would have more to complain about with the OTA set up, but that has nothing to do with D* or the AM21.

Oh yeah, not happy at all about the additional cost of the TIVO plus the $14.99 monthly guide service fee (No, I don't have the money to buy lifetime service for the unit yet). But was just tired of incorrect guide data for the work-a-around method of entering foreign zip codes during repeated setups so I could receive most of the newest sub-channel additions. Some of which you might lose after a reboot.

Then there was DIRECTV's inexplicable decision to just remove OTA scanning on the Genie.

And then as a final straw the latest series of NR firmware updates to my Genie (an HR34) weren't playing nice with the AM21, causing random and sudden complete blackouts of video and audio when tuned to an OTA channel. Only a channel change and back again would restore them thus emptying the buffer in the process of course.

I use my city's primary zip code, and I use a nearby city as my secondary zip code. I scan and get stations from both, but do not get all of the sub stations. As an example, I get 9.1 and 9.2 but I do not get 9.3. I can get that when I scan on an antenna input on my TV. There are also stations that I do not get at all with the AM21 that I get on my TV input.
For the AM21 to pick up 9.3 in your instance, you have to match a secondary zip code that either has a 9.3 channel in it OR a matching .3RF channel. For instance, lets say your 9.3 channel is 9.3 RF25. You look for a any zip that has a 9.3 channel in it. OR a zip that has a .3RF25 channel in it. Any channel number will work as long as it's .3 RF25. Matching that way any channel 3.3 RF25, 23.3 RF25, 64.3 RF25 will work. This gives you the flexability to try and match the guide to your local channel. Lets say your local 9.3 is metv, if you can find a metv on either another 9.3 or a .3RF25 in another zip code the guides will match. I'm in the MPLS/STP market, I use Weslaco TX to get 5.3 METV in my market with a matching guide. I also use Little Rock AR 7.3 RF22 to get 23.3 RF22 in my market, because Little Rock carries GRIT on 7.3 matching my 23.3 local GRIT station. I use Atlanta GA to get 11.3 Justice Network which matches my local 11.3 Justice Network to get the correct guide on that channel. So by using 3 different secondary zips and matching to cities that carry the same channel, I get 5.3,11.3 and 23.3 in MPLS/STP with the correct guides in my AM21. Channels that are not in D* database for MPLS/STP.

Do what coconut said. It's a little time consuming BUT... it's free!

I am missing my local (VT) MeTV on 5-3, but there is a 5-3 MeTV in the database from TX, so that works. I can get 4 Montreal OTA channels, too - 2, 6, 10, and 12. Honolulu has those channels in the database so I can force something in the memory so I can easily tune to 6-1 and watch CBC.

The market in TX that I use to force MeTV in the database and it also puts a 2-1 in my guide from Mexico. There are several Mexican stations in the AM21 database, not all are affiliates for USA Networks. Why Mexican stations but not Canada in the database? No one knows...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)