Amazon’s New Kindle Fire and Kindle Paperwhite

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Last edited:
I'm sure this conference will steal all the thunder from Apple's iPhone 5 announcement. ;p

Seriously you can't really tell much until they do a formal announcement. I'm expecting a $50 price cut on current Kindle Fire along with a new Kindle that will have the $200 price tag, retiring the old e-ink models, and bringing in the new touch and a backlit model.

It looks impressive, although I have to laugh at the 4G model which allows you 250MB of data per month. On LTE you can download 25 MB in less then 50 seconds.

I do hope they have other data plans available.

I have a regular Amazon Kindle now and for the most part I use it as a Slingplayer in my office. Don't use it for much more then that.

Yeah I might consider the 4g LTE model, but I want to know what the other data plans are or how much overage fees are.

Re: Amazon’s New Kindle Fire and Kindle Paperwhite Shown in Ads Before Launch

Sounds like ISPs giving you a 50 mbit connection and only 400gb download for the month. You can blow through that cap in 1 day.

The kids have a Kindle Fire and they love it. But I do have it rooted and Google play on it with all apps, so it's more of a full tablet to them instead being locked down.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

One can always dream............................ :)

If anything, I might sell it to get my son a Nabi 2 tablet. It looks good for a kids tablet.

Last edited:
Sounds like ISPs giving you a 50 mbit connection and only 400gb download for the month. You can blow through that cap in 1 day.

The kids have a Kindle Fire and they love it. But I do have it rooted and Google play on it with all apps, so it's more of a full tablet to them instead being locked down.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

What on earth are you downloading to blow through 400gb in a day???

Nice looking additions to the kindle family.Still think they should come with gps mic, and camera though.

But I do have it rooted and Google play on it with all apps, so it's more of a full tablet to them instead being locked down.

Yep it makes them much more useful that way.

The new e-ink kindle looks very interesting to me. My wife somehow crunched hers, you can not sit on the darn thing! :) So, might be time for a new one. Of course I'd give her my Keyboard 3G one.

I'll likely have a Paperwhite under the Christmas tree. Unless of course I mange to break my Touch before then. ;) I actually prefer buttons for page turns, keeps the screen cleaner.

What about ad supported kindles? Once upon a time you could get a kindle cheaper if it showed ads. I'd seen speculation that the lowest grade kindle fire would be around $100 and ad supported. I don't see any mention of ads now on the kindles. Have they done away with ads and the price break that goes with them or do all kindles have ads on them whether you like it or not.

What about ad supported kindles? Once upon a time you could get a kindle cheaper if it showed ads. I'd seen speculation that the lowest grade kindle fire would be around $100 and ad supported. I don't see any mention of ads now on the kindles. Have they done away with ads and the price break that goes with them or do all kindles have ads on them whether you like it or not.

From what I read with the e-ink one, not ad-supported. Fine with me. I hated the ads. Irritated me to no end. I was already buying the books, and the kindle.

Tech News Today reported that the new Fires would come with Ads and there wouldn't be Ad-Free versions available at higher prices. Engadget reported that a user had an e-mail from Amazon Support that there might be an option to pay a one-time fee to eliminate the ads will be how they handle it. Then, The Verge got word direct from Amazon that there would be no Opt-Out.

That's not going to stop me from entering the SatelliteGuys Birthday Contest, though! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)