AMC 21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
One Dish Solution

123°, 125°, and 129°, eh?
And as a one-dish solution...

You would want to start out with a long-focus length dish (larger F/D)
... though not necessarily a big one...
... and some tiny LNBs, or maybe the Eagle Aspen oval horn bandstacked units.

If anyone really wants to pursue this matter, start a new thread, and I'll help with math to figure how solve it.

Hey Anole, You got me thinking, 123, 125 & 129 on one fixed 36" .... I bet it could be done with one GEOSATpro mini and the 2 degree monoblock, mount them close together and wa-la

Anole, answer me this one question, how do you type in the "degree" symbol as you did?

Unless you aimed your dish with spectrum analyzers and/or signal meters that lock DVB-S signals and give signal strength in SN or BER, you probably have some room for improvement but your setup is "good enough" for most signals.

I don't know why you are getting one at 58 quality when the other one is much better. On my various dishes (90cm, 7.5 foot and 10 foot), i'm getting both PBS DVB-S 30000 SR carriers with SN within one db of each other (read: no large variance between the two).

Why do you doubt me. I have a Satlook Digital spectrum analyzer with two signal digital signal meters that lock on to DVB's signals. I have been pointing dish's for well over 8 years now. I have done things that even the got the engineers over at Echo star were scratching their head, saying how did he do that.

Ill post my SN and BER levels for that bird later as right now it is rainning out side so that will affect those levels. Trust me, when I say that the bird is locked on... Its locked on. The only issue that I could see what could be causing low signal levels would be some trees in the distance but I cant do anything about those.

welcome back!

Hey Anole, You got me thinking, 123, 125 & 129 on one fixed 36" .... I bet it could be done with one GEOSATpro mini and the 2 degree monoblock, mount them close together and wa-la
I don't have a lot of faith in that home-made 2° monstrosity.
We have discussed them here before - take a quick search for more comments.
I'm sure it was the same unit.
Prove my fears are unfounded. ;)
Anole, answer me this one question, how do you type in the "degree" symbol as you did?
- Windows
- Start button
- All Programs
- Accessories
- System Tools
- Character Map
(I make a shortcut to it and leave that on the desktop)
- Arial font is the default, so ...
- I use the ° which is located right in the middle, under the {

i emailed the seller on fleabay and he wouldn't really explain too much or guarantee anything. All he told me was to buy it and try it.

He said he designed it for 95 & 97 and that it works great for that. i think i'll wait for one of the sponsors here to start selling one.

or maybe i can find a T90 really cheap somewhere, lol.

Hey Euro=on top of that, you oughta try setting the skew on one of them, after you've taken the feedhorn off and put it back on again. I had one waaayyy off , took me sev hours last fall to figure that one out. I never did fix it either, on that dish, it is at zero skew, but the indicator on it is showing -40 , HAHA.
*don't worry, I'll never work on any nuclear reactors!
:eek::eek: LOL:D

I just tried G-11/17 to get tonight's debate, scanning both H and V side seperately, and the P* LNB works for whichever output the cable is connected to! :eek: I guess my football problem over the weekend, was tree related and not LNB related.:)

- Windows
- Start button
- All Programs
- Accessories
- System Tools
- Character Map

123° Ah! me likey! Thanks Anole

BTW, I thought those monoblocks looked homemade but I would rather experiment myself, it's a lot more interesting. I have 2 spare mini's that I might consider modding if I need to.

- Windows
- Start button
- All Programs
- Accessories
- System Tools
- Character Map

Windows shortcut for ° sign: Hold ALT key, then press 248 on number keypad:
ALT+NUMPAD ASCII Key Combos: The α and Ω of Creating Obscure Passwords

Why do you doubt me. I have a Satlook Digital spectrum analyzer with two signal digital signal meters that lock on to DVB's signals.

you never said that in your post, so I didn't know you are one of the rare ones like me who have the right tools to get the most performance out of the dish when installing it. I have 2 lab quality spectrum analyzers, one avcom 37d that is more hobbyist, and i just got a satfinder sf-3000S portable signal meter just to have an extra peaking tool to give me SN/BER readouts once I use a spectrum analzyer to find the sat and set the polarity to the point that I have a strong, clean enough signal to lock with the SF-3000S.

Most people just use the slow-responding signal strength meter on their receiver (or use ineffective cheap "buzz" meters) and they leave lots of signal strength potential on the table.

One thing I've just noticed about having PBS right next door to RTN, the switching time is very low between PBS and any RTN station. It's a nice little luxury that I usually don't see on my motorized systems.
:)

I still want to try park my dish at 124 and see how it reacts.. I currently have a DirecPC dish pointed at 123. If both of those birds are powerful enough, I might be able to park the dish at 124 and get the best of both birds without a motor :) (Just fun for playing anyways...)

I still want to try park my dish at 124 and see how it reacts.. I currently have a DirecPC dish pointed at 123. If both of those birds are powerful enough, I might be able to park the dish at 124 and get the best of both birds without a motor :) (Just fun for playing anyways...)

Make sure and keep us posted. I am looking at different available (and affordable) options to get these both on one dish.

Attachments

• DSC00184.JPG
    DSC00184.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC00185.JPG
    DSC00185.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC00186.JPG
    DSC00186.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 173
nah. The 36" is the designed idea for the 2 LNB setup. Because the focal point is different on a 1.2m dish that can compensate. If you tried it on a dish with the focal point closer it is still the 4 degrees separation (maybe 3 1/2 max)

I have the Geosat 36" dish and the 2 LNB setup...best I could get was 3 1/2 apart

The GeoSat 90cm and cousins, have an F/D of only .5
I expected more like .6 or .7
They are a particularly unfortunate choice for narrow satellite spacing.

Specs on the Fortec say it has and F/D of .6
Not saying it'd work, but at least we're moving in the right direction.

Not that I mean to imply that the F/D is the main concern.
The focal length is!
But the above two dishes are both 90cm and the larger F/D has the longer focal length.
Naturally, the 1.2m with its longer focal length, has the advantage, regardless of its F/D.

No sign of Montana PBS, but getting good signal from PBS network feeds with Merc II and 90cm dish in eastern Oregon.

An update. Found out today that my dish was warped. De-warped it and now I can get Montana PBS, already signed up for a membership.

Ordered a Viewsat MaxHD, looking forward to PBS in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.