AMC 21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'll keep looking for it, may have to do a little adjusting. Getting all the others but no Montana. Just that message about moving on 12145 H.
I'm thinking of making Star One into 87W.
As always, thanks.
Ya gotta be a little nuts for this stuff.:)

Ok, I set the dish to 125.5W and bam, got Montana but lost some of the other PBS channels.
So I deleted everything but Montana off that satellite. Changed EchoStar 3 at 61W to 125W, did another blind scan and bam, got everything but Montana. So now when I change channels from an AC3 PBS to Montana, the dish moves 1/2 degree. Hey, whatever works.

Montana seems to be a little weak on 12104/4340 but the weather is a little bad. Maybe it will be better tomorrow.

A mux (multiplex) is a group of channels that are delivered from a single output source (transponder).

S2 refers to DVB-S2, it is a relatively new type of signal modulation(?) but it's being seen more often these days. Only a few of the receivers we typically use are capable of receiving this type of signal. :)

S2 is for DVB-S2 , rather than the older DVB-S standard. Our typical SD FTA receivers only support the DVB-S standard and QPSK modulation, while many of the HD receivers support the newer DVB-S2 standard as well, with additional support for 8PSK modulation and it's various pilot functions and different FEC 's.
Mux stands for multiplexor, or multiplexed signal, in which a number of channels are combined on a single carrier, and then un-combined ( or de-multiplexed ) at the receiver . Multiplexing is what allows multiple channels to be carried by a single transponder. There are two major techniques of multiplexing , Frequency Domain Multiplexing and Time Domain Multiplexing . Probably if you Google on the subject, you'll find more than I'll ever know, and realize I've kinda glossed over the topic a little.
:)

[edit] Phlat, you must type faster than I do. It ain't fair ! :)

S2 is for DVB-S2 , rather than the older DVB-S standard. Our typical SD FTA receivers only support the DVB-S standard and QPSK modulation, while many of the HD receivers support the newer DVB-S2 standard as well, with additional support for 8PSK modulation and it's various pilot functions and different FEC 's.
Mux stands for multiplexor, or multiplexed signal, in which a number of channels are combined on a single carrier, and then un-combined ( or de-multiplexed ) at the receiver . Multiplexing is what allows multiple channels to be carried by a single transponder. There are two major techniques of multiplexing , Frequency Domain Multiplexing and Time Domain Multiplexing . Probably if you Google on the subject, you'll find more than I'll ever know, and realize I've kinda glossed over the topic a little.

[edit] Phlat, you must type faster than I do. It ain't fair ! :)

I might be faster (with my 2-finger method ;) ) but your answer is a lot more thorough, Brent. :D

Thanks. Multiplexing I understood, it was the S-2 part that sent me asking questions. Now I understand that I will need to update my equipment to receive these channels.

Thanks. Multiplexing I understood, it was the S-2 part that sent me asking questions. Now I understand that I will need to update my equipment to receive these channels.

It's very new for most of us. DVB-S2 is just coming to Ku band right now. I'm using a recently acquired Coolsat 8000 for most of my viewing now ( although I can fall back on my TT S2-3200 system/skywalker-1 system , PC based, if necessary ) . The Coolsat, which I bought used on ebay, tunes DVB-S2 out of the box. Figure about $200 for one of them , used , from ebay.

Skies cleared and Montana PBS is booming in!!! :)

Thanks again Iceberg.

Since they chose 12104 as their primary feed and dropped 12140 I can't get them. TP is too weak here in eastern PA.

I have to look for someplace else to send my money but I'm running out of places to look. :no

Jeep Guy,

Most likely you have tried this, but in case you haven't. I was getting 0 Q on 12104 while 12180 was rocking. I very gently nudged my dish to the west and also slightly down from what was the ideal spot for 12180, and 12104 appeared. Q on 12180 deteriorated slightly, but not enough to cause a problem. My theory is that since 123W also has a 12104V transponder, I needed to move far enough away from 123 to prevent interference.

Worked for me.

Jeep Guy,

Most likely you have tried this, but in case you haven't. I was getting 0 Q on 12104 while 12180 was rocking. I very gently nudged my dish to the west and also slightly down from what was the ideal spot for 12180, and 12104 appeared. Q on 12180 deteriorated slightly, but not enough to cause a problem. My theory is that since 123W also has a 12104V transponder, I needed to move far enough away from 123 to prevent interference.

Worked for me.

My big ole BUD goes east and west but not up n down. I can center up on an active TP and get Qs in the 85-90% range but 12104 is zilch no matter how I nudge the dish and since it's dead on the arc I'm not going to play with up or down just for one TP. I'll have to just do without which is becoming an all to familiar phrase with PBS feeds for me.

It doesn't seem to me to be the brightest of ideas to put two birds side by side with the same 12104V transponders. 12140 was working like a champ. I don't understand why you would drop 12140 and opt for a freq that conflicts with the bird next door. Makes no sense to me. :confused:

It doesn't seem to me to be the brightest of ideas to put two birds side by side with the same 12104V transponders. 12140 was working like a champ. I don't understand why you would drop 12140 and opt for a freq that conflicts with the bird next door. Makes no sense to me. :confused:

because the cable companies that the channels are intended for (remember ;) ) they probably use 15-20 foot dishes so their adjacent interference is null

But getting back to Bluztrvler's post that worked for me. Montana was at 69 quality and 12180 was at 76..nudged it barely west (well on the coolsat its move west then nudge it back east) and now Montana is at 72 and 12180 dropped slightly to 73 :)

With PBS' reconfig today on AMC-21, does anyone find one of the two end V pol 30000 SR signals quite a bit weaker than the other now (rather than about equal signal strength?)

I don't know if it's my pre-winter dish tweak or PBS' thing, but I find those two are not about the same sig strength anymore - one is the same and one is a little bit weaker.

On a Viewsat MaxHD I'm getting a Q of 57 on 12180 and 46 on 12140.

they must have fixed it after my post and before your reply.

I checked again today and they are back to about equal now (within 1 db s/n of each other on my system) and I didn't touch a thing since yesterday when one was a little weaker than the other.

I've got a good signal on 12140 and 12180 but nothing on 12104.The signals on 12140 and 12180 are good but they are not locked.I do a scan and nothing, mind you I used galaxy 14 and changed some settings and added the transponders.Is this maybe why nothing locks.You don't think that maybe I'm picking up something from 123.Sure would like to get these channels since I can't pickup pbs from 87.My setup is a nfusion with a 1.2meter dish on a motor.

I'm watching a show right now, about 8:30 AM Central, on AMC21, TV 4, and continuously superimposed on the screen is:

Schedule DT3A
HD 02​

Below that is the time counting down, and the date.

Wondering why this appears, since everything else I've seen on PBS has been in the clear. Would someone who has been around FTA PBS for a while care to comment?

Toucan-man-
I see that too. Usually that is only visable when Color Bars are up.
I thought I read that they were going to 27/7 programming, and would not have the Color Bars up. So maybe vs. Color Bars they have a show up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)