AMC 6 Frustrations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Anyone have any suggestions for me? I get 59% quality on the stations on AMC 6, but no picture. I get the odd pixel and some chirping sound. I used to get it easily before. Other sats, with 45% quality I have solid picture with my Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra. What could be wrong here?

can you nudge your dish with the receiver? Try one bump to the left or right. AMC was finicky for me a couple days ago, but it cleared up without me doing anything.

I find the nudge to be very forgiving on AMC6, I can move it one either way, and it still hold close to steady at 59 either way. Can't get it higher, but am puzzled why this level isn't sufficient. On G10R, 45% would produce a solid picture. Its possible that elevation is out slightly. Yet I get SB6 that has Ohio News on it very strong and steady. That used to be weaker for me than AMC6's signals.

Note: I changed to an XtremeII Lnb. I deleted the channels and rescanned just in case it was a slight frequency problem. No improvement. I do get a religious channel on there very strong signal and perfect picture.

ONN is usually stronger for me than anything on AMC6, but other than the other day, AMC6 has had no issues for me.

I no longer have my Fortec, but it does seem weird that 59% quality is not enough all of a sudden.

No wet trees in the LOS or anything ? What happens if you got back to the old LNB?

You are right, ONN is stronger for me as well, its around 74% quality. I wish I knew exactly what the numbers were on AMC6 prior to the changes I've made. I releveled my pole and played around with the dish and motor elevation. Its hard to read precisely the motor elevation on an SG2100. The pointer cast into the housing is a little odd looking, its an arrow head, but its hard to tell exactly what its pointing to. So, its possible to be off half a degree I'd say.

You are not alone in frustration with AMC6! As was discussed last month when you raised the same issue, it appears the problem must be with the source or transmission. While my AMC6 LNB is off-centre, AMC6 has always been a very strong satellite, and usually on the mux you are talking about I get in the 60s on my Pansat. However, if the quality drops to around 45 (like it did tonight) I get serious pixelation. Usually a 45 is good, on any other satellite, and I don't have any problems unless the quality drops to around 25 (and some are fine even lower).

Solution? Don't know, but I have deleted the channels, deleted the transponder, and re-scanned without any improvement.

Sounds like elevation problem, I'm getting 67/60 on those SatOps channels, and on most of the
news feed channels too on AMC6, with this 1m primestar. No problems with that sat for me lately, thankfully. Could be some erratic sat problems I just happened to have missed.

also take into consideration the FEC. if its a 7/8 or even a 5/6 FEC, you need more signal to keep it stable.

Most KU is 3/4 FEC but that little bit can make a difference. Example is AMC1 C-band

I can get TLN mux & Ion mux with a 30-35 quality...but DWTV (which has a 7/8 FEC) I need a 60 on the Pansat for stable picture :)

Tim,

What size dish do you have? I don't have any problems with AMC 6 on the 8 footer. I have the same problems you memtioned with G11. CW comes in great, but have to really bump it around to get the other three channels I like.

ONN is on G17 (sbs6). If you get ONN where the dish at AMC6 position 72W, something is not right, the dish is not well tuned...

There is no wrong with AMC6. A sufficient ku dish size that is well tuned should nto receive channels from 2 sats 2 degs apart.
Actually AMC6 is not in a crowded part, only g17 2 degs on the West, nothing on the East within 10 degs

Solution is that check the dish first to ensure it's well tuned, or get a larger dish...:)

Oh no, I'm not getting SB6 channels like ONN on the AMC6 settings. I was just using the reference to ONN to demonstrate that a satellite way to the east of me (I'm at 97 W longitude) is coming in fine.

I'll have to get up on the roof, wife watching the tv, and see if a little pressure on the dish to add or subtract elevation makes a big difference.

Dish size is a 100cm digiwave. Works well otherwise, but this might indicate a slight problem with this end of the arc. Pole is perfectly plum. Motor or dish elevation may need slight tweeking. As I mentioned previously, the pointer arrow on the SG2100 is a little strange in my opinion. Its an arrow, but is flat on one side. So do you line up with the point of the arrow, or straight in line with the straight edge? Latitude here is 49.9, so might as well call it 50 on the motor markings.

also take into consideration the FEC. if its a 7/8 or even a 5/6 FEC, you need more signal to keep it stable.

Most KU is 3/4 FEC but that little bit can make a difference.
Example is AMC1 C-band

I can get TLN mux & Ion mux with a 30-35 quality...but DWTV (which has a 7/8 FEC) I need a 60 on the Pansat for stable picture

Thanks Ice, that makes a lot of sense. Lyngsat says it is 5/6. Can someone check it? My Pansat doesn't give that information. Fortunately it doesn't drop into the "danger zone" too often, just enough to be annoying, especially when other signals at that quality are great!

TiminMb, picking up 3 KU channels on AMC 6/C - 72.0W today. (Re Icebergs' combined C/Ku Satellite List). All 3 are on Tp 12053 6890 V 5/6, its called Satops Nftu. I think it said MSNBC. Q = 50%, one channel is MSNBC News, another only has a Teleprompter on it. The 3rd one shows a frozen picture.

Started having Pixillization problems on 72.0W last week, - but thought it was due to the really windy weather here, but today its fine. Getting ONN on 74.0W with a Q = 75 % today. Hope this helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts