An Observation - Manhattan -vs- Azbox Elite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yesterday I decided to hook up my AZBox to replace my Manhattan Box.

It wasn't that the Manhattan Box was bad my issue was that I couldn't control my Manhattan from remote via my Slingbox. A lot of times when things happen I am at work so if I want to see whats up and happening I tune in via Slingbox.

Anyways with the Manhattan I was able to pull in almost all the stations I wanted (except for the 2 RTV feeds on 87!) so anyways I was tuned to 105 on my Manahttan then unplugged the satellite cable and plugged it into the Azbox. Without moving the dish I was unable to tune in any of the NBC feeds I was just watching on the Manhattan. I found this odd.

I then unplugged the satellite cable from the AZbox and plugged it back into the Manhattan, again I was tuned to the NBC feeds which popped in nicely.

I then moved the dish to 87 and did a Blindscan on the bird. I got almost everything except the RTV S2 feeds., even was pulling in Weatherscan without an issue.

Removed the cable and plugged it back into the AZbox and couldn't pick up half of the channels I could get on the Manhattan. I couldn't get Weatherscan at all, and ThisTV and MeTV were also missing..

Pulling the cable out and plugging it back in the Manhattan and all was back again.

So from what I am seeing the tuner in the Manhattan is a lot better then the tuner in the AZbox. This might be old news to some but it surprised me how much of a difference there was between the two.

The buddy of mine down the road has noticed the same thing. The only reason he got the Azbox was for 4:2:2. Well almost the same thing he has an Openbox and he says it has a far better tuner than the Azbox, he got the Azbox about 2 months ago and is still considering sending it back. He also complains at how slow it is. He also said that the blind scan feature is a joke. The Openbox blind scans way better. He says the only reason he has it still is he is a big ball game watcher and he is seeing feeds he was missing, in 4.2.2. He called me Saturday and said he likes the 4.2.2, but he said he is having a hard time justifying all that money for a crappy receiver just for 4.2.2. He said I thought everybody swore by these things. I said yeah they have their fan boys, but I never owned one so I don't know. Sure didn't make me want to run right out and buy one.

I have an AZBox Premium Plus, and I find the opposite to be true. I can get most everything with my Manhattan, but I can not lock on to the Luken mux on 137W with the Manhattan. I can lock it fine with quality up in the high 60's - low 70's with the AZBox Premium Plus on a 7.5' dish. It seems that (in my case at least) that the AZBox does better on marginal signals where the Manhattan just cant get a lock. I really like the Manhattan, it is a lot more user friendly and faster than the AZBox. If I had to pick between the AZBox and the Manhattan, I would go with the Manhattan. One that I could not stand, that I sold for a song was the Openbox, most people seem to like them, but I did not like the one I tried at all. Of course that is just my opinion.

not to be a smartass Scott but did you put in the proper transponder info on the azbox? Remember if you dont have it exact right the signal wont lock

not to be a smartass Scott but did you put in the proper transponder info on the azbox? Remember if you dont have it exact right the signal wont lock
Yup and as I said a lot of what it would not tune wasn't even S2 signals.

On an interesting side note I got a friend who just called me and wants to come over and swap out my dish with a Orbitron Mesh dish with Horizon to Horizon mount, he restored it for someone and that guy died two weeks ago, so its a perfect dish that hes looking to get rid of, which may take care of my issues completely. :D

I have an AZBox Premium Plus, and I find the opposite to be true. I can get most everything with my Manhattan, but I can not lock on to the Luken mux on 137W with the Manhattan. I can lock it fine with quality up in the high 60's - low 70's with the AZBox Premium Plus on a 7.5' dish.

That mux has caused some headaches but here is what you do (works on my 6 footer and Manahattan)
Find 137W
blind scan the satellite
it should log them at 4160 H 29125

but for some reason that TP wont stick and show quality after a blind scan

I edit the TP to 4165 and then it works fine (70 quality)

The DVB mux (4080 H 25195) works great..very strong

I believe he said 10 foot. He was talking so fast. :)

He wants me to cut down my pole and lower it, as the dish is up 12 feet in the air now so to get up and work on the LNB you got to climb to the top of a ladder and reach over the edge to reach the LNB.

Sounds like you lucked out with that one Scott. I bet you will notice a lot of improvement on all of your signals. What kind of feedhorn are you going to put on it? Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

That mux has caused some headaches but here is what you do (works on my 6 footer and Manahattan)
Find 137W
blind scan the satellite
it should log them at 4160 H 29125

but for some reason that TP wont stick and show quality after a blind scan

I edit the TP to 4165 and then it works fine (70 quality)

The DVB mux (4080 H 25195) works great..very strong

Thanks Ice,

I will try that feed on the Manhattan when I have the time.

Sounds like you lucked out with that one Scott. I bet you will notice a lot of improvement on all of your signals. What kind of feedhorn are you going to put on it? Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
I didn't luck out yet. Wont consider myself lucked out until its installed and running. :D

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Chapparel Bullseye II that ACRADIO has for sale, but now I will wait as this may fix me nicely. :D

I think I am going to use my WS741 LNBF on it for now.

ok, you talked me out of getting the azbox. where is the list for brian? you folks talk about this new receiver and i like to fool around with new stuff in my retirement. when is this receiver due to come on the market? charlie

Estimated release end of December, 2011 or first of January 2012.

This is what was posted by Brian in another thread.

ok, you talked me out of getting the azbox.
Please dont judge the box by my findings. I am in NO WAY a C Band expert and have my share of issues. I just wanted to see if my findings matched what others were seeing.

I am REALLY looking forward to SatelliteAV's new MicroHD box and love the fact that they are working with our members here at SatelliteGuys to make the best box possible. (Now only if I could get them to put our logo on it or say something like "For more Satellite Tips, Tweeks and Conversation visit SatelliteGuys.US" ) :D :D

I had a AZbox ultra and I was quite annoyed with the blindscan. It took a long time and didn't work that well. After lightning took out my AZ Ultra I replaced it with the Openbox S10 with the latest firmware.. love the Accurate scan.. but if I leave it on a HD channel for more than about two hours it will lock up... that gets annoying but I guess for $100 I can't complain to much. I am thinking about the Manhattan but I am on the fence on that box or saving up some more coin and get the AZ Premium Plus... the 4.2.2 is cool but isn't that important to me.. so I guess I am looking for any more pros and cons for the two boxes... I have a 9.5' Birdview and a I currently have a DMX641 LNB installed on it..

(Now only if I could get them to put our logo on it or say something like "For more Satellite Tips, Tweeks and Conversation visit SatelliteGuys.US" ) :D :D

:D Yeah and send us Staff one to review.....well one can wish can't they:)

Thank you for that encouragement toward the Manhattan unit.

The new processors PNX8735E that the A/ZBox is not going to be used again. We are switching to the new PNX8496, which is what is going to support the Hybrid units. This is a much faster processor and will support the IP/Web segment, reporting as fast as your computer. We will wait and see!

We will have the new ALi processor in one of the Hybrid units as well. These are not ready for prime-time, that is why the delay on some of these units!

First quater of next year at the earliest.

Jeff Schumann

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)