An Open Letter to Jim Tressel

Purdue v. OSU

A few gameday notes....

To start off with excuses would be an insult to the Boilermakers. Purdue played their hearts out today and beat the Buckeyes fair and square. Congratulations to them on the well deserved win.

Now let's dissect the game from a Bucknut perspective. I sounded the alarms about this type of letdown after last week's win against Wisconsin. (And apparently Sandra has been warning us all since high school :)). In a close game, Buckeye nation was not confident Terrelle Pryor could lead the offense to a critical score. Unfortunately, it turns out we were right.

In the past, the team survived on stimey defense and stout special teams play. On Saturday, those areas of strength weren't enough. It now appears the blueprint to defeat the Buckeyes is out in the open. Shut down our running game and blitz Pryor on 3rd and longs. Force Pryor to beat you through the air. The Boilermakers executed this to success.

Pryor was grossly ineffective and hurt the team more than he helped. There is no excuse for 5 turnovers either. (2 ints, 2 fumbles by Pryor). Turnovers have no place in Buckeye football. The whole idea of OSU football revolves around controlling the ball, limiting turnovers and playing smart ball. Pryor did not play Buckeye football on Saturday and deserves every bit of criticism he's receiving.

Where do we go from here? For those of you who suggest that our offense converts into a spread or option style, read my explanation against this a few posts above. We don't have the personnel to run it effectively. That's not our game. For those of you who suggest benching Pryor, that's not going to work either. On the bench is Joe Bauserman. He's no better.

In order to be effective on offense, this team needs to get back to what they are built for. We need to control the offensive line and be able to run the ball effectively. This will take pressure off Pryor. But more than anything, we need to play smart ball and this starts with the QB. I am amazed at the slow maturation process of our 2nd year QB. Hopefully all is not lost though and he will continue to learn and get better. One can only hope. If not, Coach Tressel has some serious recruiting to do in the offseason to find his replacement.

HD, you're taking this a lot calmer than I originally thought.

I thought we might see a full-blown rant.

Remember, I am used to letdown. As a matter of fact, my whole bane of existence as a Cleveland Sports fan is based on letdown. It's only natural that if my Buckeyes disappoint, I will be numb to that too.

A few gameday notes....

To start off with excuses would be an insult to the Boilermakers. Purdue played their hearts out today and beat the Buckeyes fair and square. Congratulations to them on the well deserved win.

Now let's dissect the game from a Bucknut perspective. I sounded the alarms about this type of letdown after last week's win against Wisconsin. (And apparently Sandra has been warning us all since high school :)). In a close game, Buckeye nation was not confident Terrelle Pryor could lead the offense to a critical score. Unfortunately, it turns out we were right.

In the past, the team survived on stimey defense and stout special teams play. On Saturday, those areas of strength weren't enough. It now appears the blueprint to defeat the Buckeyes is out in the open. Shut down our running game and blitz Pryor on 3rd and longs. Force Pryor to beat you through the air. The Boilermakers executed this to success.

Pryor was grossly ineffective and hurt the team more than he helped. There is no excuse for 5 turnovers either. (2 ints, 2 fumbles by Pryor). Turnovers have no place in Buckeye football. The whole idea of OSU football revolves around controlling the ball, limiting turnovers and playing smart ball. Pryor did not play Buckeye football on Saturday and deserves every bit of criticism he's receiving.

Where do we go from here? For those of you who suggest that our offense converts into a spread or option style, read my explanation against this a few posts above. We don't have the personnel to run it effectively. That's not our game. For those of you who suggest benching Pryor, that's not going to work either. On the bench is Joe Bauserman. He's no better.

In order to be effective on offense, this team needs to get back to what they are built for. We need to control the offensive line and be able to run the ball effectively. This will take pressure off Pryor. But more than anything, we need to play smart ball and this starts with the QB. I am amazed at the slow maturation process of our 2nd year QB. Hopefully all is not lost though and he will continue to learn and get better. One can only hope. If not, Coach Tressel has some serious recruiting to do in the offseason to find his replacement.

Bauserman IS a better passer than Pryor ever was or may turn out to be.
If your not going to bench Pryor, play him at WR or RB.

Tressel had BETTER be recruiting a passing QB, regardless.

Bauserman IS a better passer than Pryor ever was or may turn out to be.
If your not going to bench Pryor, play him at WR or RB.

Tressel had BETTER be recruiting a passing QB, regardless.

:) I agree, Bench him!!! I have NEVER liked him at QB

He certainly hasn't developed how you would expect in his second full year, he played most of his freshman year.
I was really looking forward to this year, expecting Pryor to progress like most good to great QB do.

Am I ever glad Saturday was opening day of Waterfowl season! I was much happier shooting Ducks in the morning and squirrels in the afternoon.

The crowd booes Tressel during USC game for horrid play calling. Perhaps the sweater will finally hire an Offensive co-ordinater. NOT! Tressel is a micro-manager and cannot, psychologically give up any control.

Take the positives with the negatives.

NCAA 10 and the like for 360 and PS3 needs to be updated. If you are playing as Ohio State in a big game, you will only be allowed 4 plays on 1st down. Off Tackle left, Off tackle right, trap, and, only twice per game, pass on 1st down.

THAT would add realism to the console games.

LeBron & Shaq Gives Pryor Advice

James said he has been speaking to Pryor on the phone in recent weeks to try to help him deal with celebrity at a young age. James knows something about that, since he appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated under the headline "The Chosen One" while he was still in high school in Akron, Ohio.

"Being that No. 1 guy, how do you adjust to it and how do you get through it and still perform at a high level?" James said. "Sometimes it can be very difficult on [a young athlete]. I'm trying to be that guy who can really help him get through a lot of situations which he's never seen before but now he's seeing and understanding."
Another Cleveland Cavaliers star, center Shaquille O'Neal, also had words of encouragement for Pryor.

Talking about his first visit to Columbus, O'Neal said, "It's a very energetic crowd. I'm familiar with Ohio State football, of course. I know they're always up there [in the rankings]. I just want to tell the quarterback to keep his head up. I saw that they're getting on him the last two games. Keep your head up, young man, and try to get this football team back on track."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4584704"]Terrelle Pryor of Ohio State Buckeyes getting advice from LeBron James - ESPN[/ame]

Terrelle Pryor is a great example of why not to get all hyped up over recruiting rankings. He has been passed by a ton of QB's in his class, who as 17 year olds were ranked nowhere near where Pryor was.

He still has time to pass them back, of course...but at the moment he's still headed in the wrong direction.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts