An Open Letter to Jim Tressel

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Dear Mr. Tressel......

Since you led the Buckeyes to a National Championship victory in 2002, it has been almost sacrilege to criticize you. Combine that feat with the gaudy record over Michigan (7-1) and it's an easy argument that it should be sacrilege to criticize you, especially in Ohio. Well Mr. Tressel, the time has come. You need criticism. You owe the fans more.

For the last few years, the Big 10 has been down, yet the Buckeyes have remained the one shining hope of prosperity. The school still recruits among the best talent nationwide and still lingers among the top of the rankings in College Football.

Yet despite the talent, the outstanding fanbase and supportive alumni, the Buckeyes have lost the last 3 BCS Bowl games, 2 of them for the National Championship. This school and proud fanbase is tired of playing second fiddle. We want respectability back. We want to win.

Speaking of respectability, you have an insane level of respect for your opponent and the game. Sometimes it feels like you might have a little too much respect. You have to wonder if the team feels you subconsciously pull your foot off the gas when you go to Joe Bauserman in the second quarter of a 17-7 game against Navy. I realize it's not your style to "run up the score". You're the anti-Urban Myer in a sense. But, may I suggest that if you truly respect your opponent and their abilities, wouldn’t you want to amass a four-touchdown lead before you call off the dogs?

This Saturday, the stage is set once again. The Ohio State University will face #3 USC in what many hope will be a showdown for the ages. A win will go a long way in gaining respectability back amongst the rest of the College Football Nation. Do us proud coach. Loosen the reigns on the playbook a little. Unbutton your top button. Untuck your sweater vest. Let's go a little less conservative on Saturday. What do we have to lose? Show us the 2002 Jim Tressel we all made into an untouchable Demigod of Buckeye lore. The one who opted for the "King Right 64 Y Shallow Swap", aka Craig Krenzel to Michael Jenkins on a 54 yard, 4th down TD completion instead of settling for a tying field goal against Purdue enroute to our perfect season. I want ABC announcer Brent Musburger to once again utter a phrase that will go down in Buckeye history like he did on that TD call in which he hysterically shouted: "Holy Buckeye!"

I realize we've lost much talent to the NFL draft, but so did USC. The Trojans are starting a true Freshman. We have the #1 QB recruit in the nation in Terrelle Pryor and he's a year more experienced. Show me the wildcat. Can anyone find me the Pat White playbook? You have a playmaker, now let him play. A win will go a long way for Buckeye Nation. Another national televised prime-time loss and the criticism will grow even louder.

Mr. Tressel and my boys of scarlet and gray, let me remind you that you'll have a crowd of 105,000+ behind you at the 'Shoe. The rest is up to you. Do us proud. Hang on Sloopy! Beat those Trojans of USC!!!! GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed,

Mr. Bucknut himself, HD MM

Last edited:
Wow, HD, that is good stuff. You took a page out of my playbook...but good stuff nonetheless. Well said.

The only thing I would add, that still eats at Buckeye fans, is not only did we lose two national championship games, we were destroyed in them. Not even competitive. Last year's USC game as well, which feeds even more into Buckeye fans wanting respectability back.

The team...the program...needs a victory Saturday night. No more excuses, you should have Terrell Pryor figured out by now. He was the number one recruit, but he is not mentioned at all when people talk about the best QB's in college right now. Heck, he's not even seen as the best sophomore QB, the kid from Baylor has passed him in many people's eyes.

Time to change all that. Show us why Pryor was and still is special. Let the kid win the game for you. With 'SC starting a freshman, the QB position should now be advantage Buckeyes. You have the crowd too.

Make it happen.

Sandra

First off, notice that I am from Ohio. I'm originally from Lima, which is a BIG OSU town too. I am a Buckeye fan too.

What I've noticed with OSU when playing against the Gators, USC Trojans, or LSU is that these leagues, or at least these teams, simply play at a higher level. They are faster, without question, and what kills OSU or any team, is that they don't quit. I recall in a few games where OSU was beating them and beating soundly in the first half and then did NOTHING in the 2nd half while the opposing team just marched downfield time after time.

First off, notice that I am from Ohio. I'm originally from Lima, which is a BIG OSU town too. I am a Buckeye fan too.

What I've noticed with OSU when playing against the Gators, USC Trojans, or LSU is that these leagues, or at least these teams, simply play at a higher level. They are faster, without question, and what kills OSU or any team, is that they don't quit. I recall in a few games where OSU was beating them and beating soundly in the first half and then did NOTHING in the 2nd half while the opposing team just marched downfield time after time.

That's one of the things I've been saying in threads after they were destroyed in their big games the last few years. When things start heading south for the Buckeyes in huge games, they head south in a hurry and don't stop until they get to Antarctica.

No adjustments, no change in team intensity...nothing. Like HD said this wasn't always Tressel's M.O., but it is now.

Sandra

I've called the Ohio militia to take you away, HD. :) I can't get on board with these criticisms (except for putting Bauserman in). tOSU has played for the National Championship in 3 out of 8 years under Tressel. He's beaten Michigan 7/8 times and nearly pulled off a huge upset against Texas last year with a Freshman QB. What more do you want? John Cooper? :)

If you are suggesting that "speed" will be the difference in this game, that's even more reason to unleash the reigns on Terrelle Pryor. At preseson camp, Pryor ran a 4.33 40-meter time. No one else on the team ran under a 4.4, and that's not to say the rest of the team is slow, it's that Pryor is blazing fast! To give you a clue as to how fast a 4.33 is, in the last two NFL Combines among QB's, the fastest time recorded was by Pat White who posted a 4.55. Usain Bolt was even rumored to have only posted a 4.485 40-meter time. Think about that for a second. In a 40 meter distance, Pryor is FASTER than Usain Bolt!!! :eek:

...like I said, let this kid play!!!

If you are suggesting that "speed" will be the difference in this game...
No, I'm referring to their kick returners, defensive backs, running backs, quarterbacks, and so on. Not just (1) single player by any means. Besides, it's way too risky to run Terrelle too often. Something as minor as a hurt finger on this throwing hand that wouldn't stop a normal running back from playing can put a crimp on a quarterback, don't you think ?

No, I'm referring to their kick returners, defensive backs, running backs, quarterbacks, and so on. Not just (1) single player by any means. Besides, it's way too risky to run Terrelle too often. Something as minor as a hurt finger on this throwing hand that wouldn't stop a normal running back from playing can put a crimp on a quarterback, don't you think ?

I'd like to see him run a lot more than he does...If he hurts his finger, line him up at RB! :)

I'd like to see him run a lot more than he does...If he hurts his finger, line him up at RB! :)
I'm not a big fan of plays designed solely consisting of the QB running the ball, but if he's back to pass, his receivers are covered fairly well, and there's 10-15 yards of open field, go for it ! No heroics or hurdling defensive players either. Get the 1st down and then some, if safe, and slide.

Id like to add some info for Mr. Tressal. If playing an SEC Team just dont bother showing up (Oh wait you dont) ZING!!! (what is it now 0 - 10 vs the SEC?)

How come if Terrelle Pryor is so good you guys are still rotating QB's? You should also be praying that your O-line can stop the USC pass rush. They couldn't even block guys from Navy that were 50 pounds lighter.

I see Ohio State getting their revenge.

1. USC has lost one home game in seven years, but this is a road game, and they have faltered on the road in recent years.

2. The freshman QB may be in over his head; playing Ohio State is a step up from playing cupcakes like San Jose State.

3. The great defense last year- not the same this year.

4. Ohio State is out for blood

5. USC does not have great recievers, even though the media makes them out to be great- honestly, the guys they have are not exactly Calvin Johnson, Michael Crabtree, or Larry Fitzgerald.

6. The ONLY way I see USC winning is if they have a great running game.

How come if Terrelle Pryor is so good you guys are still rotating QB's? You should also be praying that your O-line can stop the USC pass rush.

What pass rush?

They lost the core of last year's team, and they are going against a real team, not the soft-as-tissue San Jose State.

What pass rush?

They lost the core of last year's team, and they are going against a real team, not the soft-as-tissue San Jose State.
Yeah OK. :rolleyes: USC's got more talent on defense than some NFL teams. Keep thinking they'll get lit up like Texas Tech. I'll grant you their QB is inexperienced but they have a loaded backfield, so they will force Ohio St to stop the run. USC can win if their defense plays great and they don't make mistakes.

I am afraid you will be disappointed by the end of the next game too..Bucks lose by 21 :):):)

BTW Tressel does not hang out here :)

How come if Terrelle Pryor is so good you guys are still rotating QB's? You should also be praying that your O-line can stop the USC pass rush. They couldn't even block guys from Navy that were 50 pounds lighter.

Rotating QB's ????

Who's rotating QB's ?

Tressel always gets the back up QB in early games for a series in the early stages of the year.

I don't expect them to do that this week unless Pryor is really bad or injured thou.

If you are suggesting that "speed" will be the difference in this game, that's even more reason to unleash the reigns on Terrelle Pryor. At preseson camp, Pryor ran a 4.33 40-meter time. No one else on the team ran under a 4.4, and that's not to say the rest of the team is slow, it's that Pryor is blazing fast! To give you a clue as to how fast a 4.33 is, in the last two NFL Combines among QB's, the fastest time recorded was by Pat White who posted a 4.55. Usain Bolt was even rumored to have only posted a 4.485 40-meter time. Think about that for a second. In a 40 meter distance, Pryor is FASTER than Usain Bolt!!! :eek:

...like I said, let this kid play!!!

Sorry HD....the 40 yard times can be extremely overrated and exaggerated. And if you think Pryor would have ANY CHANCE in beating Usain Bolt....you seriously on crack. LOL!;):p