An Open Letter to Jim Tressel

This is one of those rare games I will watch standing up the entire game, unable to sit down...yelling at the TV (and at Jim Tressel), scaring the dogs...until we're down three touchdowns. Then I can sit down. :rolleyes:

My boyfriend loves the NFL, but not college so much. But tomorrow night he'll be a big Ohio State fan as well, because he knows that if they lose, I will NOT be in a good mood. ;)

Sandra

This is one of those rare games I will watch standing up the entire game, unable to sit down...yelling at the TV (and at Jim Tressel), scaring the dogs...until we're down three touchdowns. Then I can sit down. :rolleyes:

My boyfriend loves the NFL, but not college so much. But tomorrow night he'll be a big Ohio State fan as well, because he knows that if they lose, I will NOT be in a good mood. ;)

Sandra

Misery loves company.;)

This game should be re-named 'The Test for the Vest'.

This can be the game Jim Tressel redeems himself in the eyes of many, if his team can find a way to beat a national powerhouse for a change. Yes, he won a national championship for us, and yes, he's not John Cooper. For both of those things we will always be eternally grateful. His job is not on the line here by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not sure how many more humiliations by top five programs Tressels' tenure can stand, but the national championship and all those wins over Michigan buy you a lot of mulligans.

But now it's time to get the Buckeyes...and Tressel...back into the big time. This time there are no excuses. The game is at home, USC is starting a true freshman at QB, and we badly need a victory here.

Tressel should have figured out how to use the weapon that is Terrell Pryor by now. For some reasons all of his amazing skills and speed have not yet translated into Pryor being a top QB at this level...not yet anyway. Pryor has the legs, he has the arm...now he needs the victories.

For all of his amazing potential, Pryor is still well behind Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith, and a host of others on the Buckeye QB list. Time to start climbing the ladder, and the person helping him up that ladder has to be Tressel.

Mack Brown figured out Vince Young, Urban Meyer figured out Tim Tebow...if Tressel wants to be a that level, he has to figure out Terrell Pryor. Starting Saturday night. Before you know it, Pryor will be gone and we'll still be saying what a tremendous QB he can be.

Sandra

I'm not sure how many more humiliations by top five programs Tressels' tenure can stand, but the national championship and all those wins over Michigan buy you a lot of mulligans.
Beating Michigan no longer means what it used to. Yeah, the old rivalry is still there but Michigan's football program is not what it used to be.
But now it's time to get the Buckeyes...and Tressel...back into the big time. This time there are no excuses. The game is at home, USC is starting a true freshman at QB, and we badly need a victory here.
Sadly, if OSU did beat USC, that's what we'd hear: They were playing at home, USC doesn't do well in away games, their QB is a freshman, etc, etc.

This game should be re-named 'The Test for the Vest'.

This can be the game Jim Tressel redeems himself in the eyes of many, if his team can find a way to beat a national powerhouse for a change. Yes, he won a national championship for us, and yes, he's not John Cooper. For both of those things we will always be eternally grateful. His job is not on the line here by any stretch of the imagination.

Tressel should have figured out how to use the weapon that is Terrell Pryor by now. For some reasons all of his amazing skills and speed have not yet translated into Pryor being a top QB at this level...not yet anyway. Pryor has the legs, he has the arm...now he needs the victories.

For all of his amazing potential, Pryor is still well behind Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith, and a host of others on the Buckeye QB list. Time to start climbing the ladder, and the person helping him up that ladder has to be Tressel.

Mack Brown figured out Vince Young, Urban Meyer figured out Tim Tebow...if Tressel wants to be a that level, he has to figure out Terrell Pryor. Starting Saturday night. Before you know it, Pryor will be gone and we'll still be saying what a tremendous QB he can be.

Sandra

Little rough on a guy that has what, all of 7 starts, maybe a few more, but not many.
That said, I agree, it's time for Pryor to put it together, a running game would help, but I'm not counting on it.

Troy was not very good at this same stage and also did not start this early in his career.

Beating Michigan no longer means what it used to. Yeah, the old rivalry is still there but Michigan's football program is not what it used to be. Sadly, if OSU did beat USC, that's what we'd hear: They were playing at home, USC doesn't do well in away games, their QB is a freshman, etc, etc.

Point 1 . Michigan will do fine this year, last year they stunk, but I bet the do a lot more winning this year and I am not as confident at this point that M will not be back giving us fits again soon ..... didn't say they'd beat us, but I expect much better play from them soon.

Point 2 . Where do you come up with the fact that USC plays poorly on the road ?

USC plays equally well on the road as they do at home.
Road games don't bother them.

Over 100.000 + fans making noise when USC has the ball may make the freshman QB think twice, along with hitting him whenever possible.

Little rough on a guy that has what, all of 7 starts, maybe a few more, but not many.

I don't think I was rough on Pryor at all actually. I was more critical of Tressel, saying he is the one who should be getting more out of Pryor.

And at this point the 'all of 7 starts' excuse is out the window. Gone. It's a lot more than seven, and USC has a true freshman playing his second game ever, his first ever on the road, in a very hostile environment. Pryor is not the 'kid' tomorrow night, in this game he's the QB who is battle tested.

It's time for Tressel to get the most out of Pryor, and time for everyone to stop talking about Pryor like he's still brand new. He's not, he has an entire year under his belt, where he received the vast majority of the playing time.

The time to step up is now...for both Pryor and, more importantly, Tressel.

Sandra

I don't think I was rough on Pryor at all actually. I was more critical of Tressel, saying he is the one who should be getting more out of Pryor.

And at this point the 'all of 7 starts' excuse is out the window. Gone. It's a lot more than seven, and USC has a true freshman playing his second game ever, his first ever on the road, in a very hostile environment. Pryor is not the 'kid' tomorrow night, in this game he's the QB who is battle tested.

It's time for Tressel to get the most out of Pryor, and time for everyone to stop talking about Pryor like he's still brand new. He's not, he has an entire year under his belt, where he received the vast majority of the playing time.

The time to step up is now...for both Pryor and, more importantly, Tressel.

Sandra
I agree with you, I was just pointing out that he's still very young.
Your right, Pryor should be the better QB in this game, but I have a feeling that USC will simply hand the ball off ....
Pryor was in this same spot last year and played pretty darn well in that game.

I have been so busy lately that I have completely ignored the college football pre-season. To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what to make of this years OSU or USC teams so the game should be interesting, if not highly educational, experience for me.

Heck, what time do they play? :eek:

Although I bleed Maize & Blue...I still cheer for ALL the Big Ten teams. Go Buckeyes! (as I wash my mouth out with Lava brand soap) :shocked

I have been so busy lately that I have completely ignored the college football pre-season. To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what to make of this years OSU or USC teams so the game should be interesting, if not highly educational, experience for me.

Heck, what time do they play? :eek:

Although I bleed Maize & Blue...I still cheer for ALL the Big Ten teams. Go Buckeyes! (as I wash my mouth out with Lava brand soap) :shocked

Saturday at 8 PM ESPN

I'm tireed of watching the media remind us of how many people that USC has lost ...
They seem to forget that the Buckeyes lost 7 starters on the OFFENSE alone ...
Not to mention OUR 3 LB's too, as well as most of the secondary.

Sheesh, give us a break.

OSU should have won this one...who in the heck was calling plays on offense in the 2nd half? Yikes! Anyway, there is still time to regroup and get back into the BCS picture. To be honest, the Buckeye's will have to improve during the season because, my opinion, they aren't a BCS team at this snap-shot in time. We shall see...

OSU should have won this one...who in the heck was calling plays on offense in the 2nd half? Yikes! Anyway, there is still time to regroup and get back into the BCS picture. To be honest, the Buckeye's will have to improve during the season because, my opinion, they aren't a BCS team at this snap-shot in time. We shall see...

They will get better my friend...
Most of the starters are freshmen and sophmores.

Would you had made the same statement

" To be honest, the Buckeye's will have to improve during the season because, my opinion, they aren't a BCS team at this snap-shot in time."

Had they won the game ?

This game could have been won easily had the Bucks moved the ball in the second half .
They had good to great field position and could not get it done, but like I said earlier, when you only plat with 3 downs, it kind stinks .....

Everyone in the country could have stopped them on first down, they basically waste that down and run up the middle for a 0-1 yard gain.

I felt that the D played very well, till they put the PREVENT D in on the last drive, if you noticed they got no pressure on Barkley on the last drive, while getting pressure all day on him, USC didn't just figure it out on the last drive.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I'll tip my hat to OSU. I thought they were going to win until USC finally put a drive together at the end. OSU is clearly getting better, they have actually put up a fight in the last 2 top ranked team games they played(texas and usc)