An Open Letter to Jim Tressel

I recall in a few games where OSU was beating them and beating soundly in the first half and then did NOTHING in the 2nd half while the opposing team just marched downfield time after time.
It wasn't "time after time" last night but it was the same scenario..... So disappointed. The defense that played the other 3-1/2 quarters wasn't the one out there on the winning drive by USC. I mean, how many times did OSU's defense hold USC to four plays before USC had to punt ? Quite a few.

They will get better my friend...
Most of the starters are freshmen and sophmores.

Would you had made the same statement

" To be honest, the Buckeye's will have to improve during the season because, my opinion, they aren't a BCS team at this snap-shot in time."

Had they won the game ?
Yes! They have some good young players and played really well overall...just don't think they are "there" yet regardless of the outcome. On a positive note (if that's even possible after a loss), if they improve during the season they are going to be a formidable force come November.

I felt that the D played very well, till they put the PREVENT D in on the last drive, if you noticed they got no pressure on Barkley on the last drive, while getting pressure all day on him, USC didn't just figure it out on the last drive.
Who was the bone-head that called "D" during that last drive? The guy obviously pulled a Rodriguez! :rolleyes:

It wasn't "time after time" last night but it was the same scenario..... So disappointed. The defense that played the other 3-1/2 quarters wasn't the one out there on the winning drive by USC. I mean, how many times did OSU's defense hold USC to four plays before USC had to punt ? Quite a few.

Ummm, they played great D all game till the last 5 minutes.
Much better than I expected.

Many thought USC would walk all over them after the Bucks performance against Navy.

They will get better my friend...
Most of the starters are freshmen and sophmores.

Would you had made the same statement

" To be honest, the Buckeye's will have to improve during the season because, my opinion, they aren't a BCS team at this snap-shot in time."

Had they won the game ?

This game could have been won easily had the Bucks moved the ball in the second half .
They had good to great field position and could not get it done, but like I said earlier, when you only plat with 3 downs, it kind stinks .....

Everyone in the country could have stopped them on first down, they basically waste that down and run up the middle for a 0-1 yard gain.

I felt that the D played very well, till they put the PREVENT D in on the last drive, if you noticed they got no pressure on Barkley on the last drive, while getting pressure all day on him, USC didn't just figure it out on the last drive.

Jimbo

The young players WILL get better, but the thing I do not see changing is the tired 1950 offense with ALL the talent that team has. Some of that offense might work for MOST of the Big Ten, but not against a team that runs almost a pro offense and defense. If USC would have had Sanchez stay and not throwing TDs in the NFL, he would have picked that defense apart and they would have blown out the Buckeyes. They don't give TRUE freshmen complete reins of an offense. Tressell is gonna have to be ALOT more creative and release the those wild horse a little bit and use ALL of their athletic ability....not just some of it.

Gameday Recap by HD MM

Wow. That loss hurt.... A LOT. Not because we lost, but because we came so close to winning and and gave it away in the end.

The game came down to one play IMO. The 2nd and 19 at the USC 5 yard line. The Buckeyes defense held the Trojans in check the entire night until that very next play. The rest, well is history. USC continued to march all the way down the field for the game winning drive.

Another glaring stat I saw I found was that USC was 3 for 4 in 4th down conversions. Two of the three times USC converted on 4th downs resulted in 14 points! In a game so close, Tressel would've never went for that many 4th down attempts. That right there shows you the biggest difference between Pete Carrol and The Vest. If Pete and the Boys don't convert on a few of those 4th downs, they miss out on 14 points and lose the game. But you can't convert unless you try. USC took a chance and it paid off. Who knows what OSU left on the board by playing so conservative?

Like I said in my Open Letter in the original post, it takes risk to win games of this magnitude. For 3.5 quarters, the Buckeyes ALMOST won by playing Tressel ball. In the end it got the best of them though. The coach and team who was less conservative won the game.

I'm tempted to say perhaps the college football gods were angered after the pass interference call against Miami in the end zone. Ever since then, except for a win in Texas (the year AFTER Vince Young left) in Troy's senior year, every big game on the national scale has been painful.

Personally I haven't decided what I detest more...being humiliated in big games where the whole country if laughing at you and your conference, or losing excrutiatingly in the last minute, when you think you had the game won (twice against Texas and now once against USC). Perhaps a poll is necessary.

Then again, looking at what's happened to the Miami program since then, its' certainly not like the college football gods have been smiling on them at all. At least the Buckeyes are still ON the national stage. ;)

But back to OSU...here are my thoughts.

1. After watching true freshmen Forcier of Michigan and Barkley of USC come of age right before our eyes on Saturday...in their second college football games EVER...I'm still wondering when it's going to happen for Terrell Pryor. Or IF it is going to happen. Hey, I know Forcier and Barkley have played two whole games while Pryor has played only 14, so we still need to give him some time.

2. At least on Saturday Pryor mixed in some nice throws with his panic throws. He just seems to lack the big play ability of the really good quarterbacks. And for all his speed, he never seems to explode...Vince Young he's not.

3. Just a brutal job by Tressel giving away three points at the end of the first half. Up 10-7, it would have meant so much to go in with a lead at halftime. 1:20 left, USC has no timeouts, and Tressel has Pryor throw two high risk passes into double coverages, which wind up with incompletions, giving USC a chance to tie the game at halftime...and they did. I'm not saying they shouldn't have thrown the ball, but do it in a controlled way which still eats time off the clock if it doesn't turn into a big play for OSU.

Think those three points weren't important? That end of half drive also gave Barkley the confidence do to it at the end of the game too. Other than those two drives, the kid didn't do much.

4. How many times can he run Herron into the line on first down? My goodness, throw in something else on first down once in a while...ANYTHING...and that Herron play might actually work on occasion.

5. I didn't agree with the announcers who kept saying OSU was controlling the line of scrimmage all game. They did at times, but at times they didn't...and not when it counted.

6. Pleasantly surprised with the defense, although time will tell how good the USC offense really is.

7. Next year OSU plays Miami at home, part of a four game homestand that also includes Marshall, Ohio and Eastern Michigan. And in the Big Ten they play Penn State and Michigan at home as well. Pretty embarassing. Of course Pryor is only going to be a junior next year, so we'll have to give the kid a break and let him grow and develop some more.

8. What's with the i-dotting guy hitting the camera?

9. The game is in Ohio, USC only has 5,000 fans and half their band, and I felt like I heard the USC fight song all night...

10. Do the Song Girls ever actually DO anything? I never even see them dancing.

11. Did Cris Carter's kid play? I don't remember seeing him.

12. Who is the backup QB this year? Can he throw the ball?

13. Wow, that place would have been rocking if they would have won...

14. Spare me the moral victories speeches. Just spare me. This is Ohio State, the standard here is to WIN...not to play well and lose and say 'well at least we didn't get humiliated this time'.

15. Still think we'll beat Michigan?

Sandra

Last edited:
Personally I haven't decided if I detest being humiliated in big games where the whole country if laughing at you and your conference, or losing excrutiatingly in the last minute, when you think you had the game won (twice against Texas and now once against USC). Perhaps a poll is necessary.

I was talking about this very subject with some friends this weekend. I prefer to be humiliated....it's less painful.

8. What's with the i-dotting guy hitting the camera?
I'm glad somebody else saw that. Pretty funny! :)

I'm still too pissed to really talk/think about the game. :( I would have rather they been humiliated.
:(

I saw the guy hit the camera but nothing was said, so I thought maybe it was my imagination.... :D I hope he didn't damage his sousaphone ! :D

2. At least on Saturday Pryor mixed in some nice throws with his panic throws. He just seems to lack the big play ability of the really good quarterbacks. And for all his speed, he never seems to explode...Vince Young he's not.

4. How many times can he run Herron into the line on first down? My goodness, throw in something else on first down once in a while...ANYTHING...and that Herron play might actually work on occasion.
2) You had to think that the decision was made that "USC will expect Pryor to run a lot, so let's not do that". :(

4) My parents are both British, so I was exposed to football, errrr, sorry, soccer, and rugby. Yeah, a scrum is similar to running up the middle but in the end, what happens in rugby ? They lateral the ball... Where ? To the outside !! And in soccer, where do you pass the ball ? Into the middle where the opposing players are ? Hah !! I just don't get running up the middle. It's designed for "luck", that is, for the offensive line to create a hole. By design in return, the defensive line is going to plug those same holes or not allow them to be created.

Personally I haven't decided what I detest more...being humiliated in big games where the whole country if laughing at you and your conference, or losing excrutiatingly in the last minute, when you think you had the game won (twice against Texas and now once against USC). Perhaps a poll is necessary.

Easy. And as an Ohio Sports fan I've experienced every single type of defeat imaginable, so I'm well versed at answering this question. The losing in the last minute hurts more. Ask any Browns fan during the 80's and I'm sure he/she will remember the Earnest Byner fumble for much longer than any blowout loss the current team has suffered recently.

It's tougher to have something in your grasp and let it slip away rather than to have never had anything to lose in the first place (ie a blowout). In a blowout, you can see the inevitable happening. You have all game to condition yourself for a loss. In a last second defeat, your hopes are sky high. Your excitement is at a peak. All that needs to happen for a joyous celebration is for the clock to run out. Then, in a blink of an eye, it's all gone. The swing in emotion is unfathomable in this type of defeat.

9. The game is in Ohio, USC only has 5,000 fans and half their band, and I felt like I heard the USC fight song all night...

And what a crappy, annoying fight song they have btw. I was cursing that tune by the end of the night.

"duh duhhhhhhhh.... duh duh duh duhhhhhh..... duh duh.... duh duh....." -Stupid USC fight song!

13. Wow, that place would have been rocking if they would have won...

They sure would have! I am still in awe of that stadium and the excitement the crowd has for this team. Another attendance record set on Saturday with over 106,000! BTW, how do they keep breaking attendance records? Where does everyone sit? Supposedly the stadium only holds around 104k, yet for big games they always find a way to stuff more people in the 'Shoe. Are people sitting on laps or sharing a seat?

14. Spare me the moral victories speeches. Just spare me. This is Ohio State, the standard here is to WIN...not to play well and lose and say 'well at least we didn't get humiliated this time'.

Agreed. A wins a win and a loss is a loss. I don't care if it's a blow loss out or a close game loss. It's still a loss. I'm tired of losing.

15. Still think we'll beat Michigan?

The Michigan game is the biggest thing we've got going for us the rest of the year. If we don't beat UofM, our season will be a failure.

I was rooting for the Buckeyes. I really don't like USC and the loss was shocking to me. All of a sudden they couldnt get the the QB and they couldnt stop the run or anything else? After proving they were the more physical team for 3.5 quarters?

I'm tempted to say perhaps the college football gods were angered after the pass interference call against Miami in the end zone. Ever since then, except for a win in Texas (the year AFTER Vince Young left) in Troy's senior year, every big game on the national scale has been painful.

Then again, looking at what's happened to the Miami program since then, its' certainly not like the college football gods have been smiling on them at all. At least the Buckeyes are still ON the national stage. ;)

Nice jab at Miami when they have nothing to do with the Buckeyes lack of winning a big game.:confused::rolleyes:

But you know, if really think about it, they didn't win that one EITHER because they needed the imaginary pass interference call....think of this bad karma as the Ghost of the Invisible Pass Interference Call. LOL!:D

OK, back to OSU...here are MY thoughts.

After watching true freshmen Forcier of Michigan and Barkley of USC come of age right before our eyes on Saturday...in their second college football games EVER...I'm still wondering when it's going to happen for Terrell Pryor. Or IF it is going to happen. Hey, I know Forcier and Barkley have played two whole games while Pryor has played only 14, so we still need to give him some time.

Don't forget to add The U's, Jacory Harris. He was 2nd fiddle to Mr. All World Prior and he did quite a job IN Tallahassee after being down 10 in the 3rd quarter. I think he has grown more as a QB, but then again, they open up the play book. Like I said, I think the Buckeyes really need to open up THEIR offensive play book.

See above, in Texas, once it was established that it was Vince Young team, they let Vince Young be....Vince Young. Will Tressell ever have that kinda of trust in Prior?

How many times can he run Herron into the line on first down? My goodness, throw in something else on first down once in a while...ANYTHING...and that Herron play might actually work on occasion.

HD said it best, no guts...no glory.

Still think we'll beat Michigan?

I do not no where the game is, but IF the Michigan game is IN AA....Michigan might win easily. IF at the Horse Shoe, then it might be a toss up. I can see the team and Tressell getting super fired up for the big rival, IF Big Blue can withstand that emotional rush by the Buckeyes, they will win going away.

I do not no where the game is, but IF the Michigan game is IN AA....Michigan might win easily. IF at the Horse Shoe, then it might be a toss up. I can see the team and Tressell getting super fired up for the big rival, IF Big Blue can withstand that emotional rush by the Buckeyes, they will win going away.

The game's in Ann Arbor this year. And why is everyone jumping back on the Wolverine bandwagon after TWO games?! Jesus people. It's a long season. A lot can happen between now and then. Either way, I still like our chances. If it's one thing The Vest knows how to do, it's beat the Maize and Blue!!!

The game's in Ann Arbor this year. And why is everyone jumping back on the Wolverine bandwagon after TWO games?! Jesus people. It's a long season. A lot can happen between now and then. Either way, I still like our chances. If it's one thing The Vest knows how to do, it's beat the Maize and Blue!!!
Yeah but can you beat Penn St on the road? Drop that one and you're a 2 loss team that will be lucky to make the BCS.

Yeah but can you beat Penn St on the road? Drop that one and you're a 2 loss team that will be lucky to make the BCS.

Since there's no playoff system in College, after a loss your shot at a National Championship is pretty much toast. Personally, I could care less about the other consolidation bowls.

As an OSU fan, here's what I root for...

#1. National Championship
#2. Big 10 Championship
#3. Win over Michigan

Typically, #2 and #3 go hand in hand.

I can see the team and Tressell getting super fired up for the big rival, IF Big Blue can withstand that emotional rush by the Buckeyes, they will win going away.
And if so, that's their problem.... Teams like Michigan shouldn't be (as much of) their concern nowadays. No one outside of Ohio or Michigan cares about that game. EVERYONE in the entire country was able to watch Saturday's game and they're all thinking "OSU blew it".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)