analog recievers on c-band and installation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hello attached are the photos of my c-band dish I had to jump in to non pda mode to do this this non pda mode isn't verry blind friendly wish there was a simpular interface I had to also click on the switch text editor button to get this to work anyways attached are the photos can some one tell me if all is there if I am missing anything besides, gbox, cable wire crimps to fix the cable? my mom also took some photos and is emailing me the this weekend I will post those as well fore better shots I don;'t know how these came out sense I am unable to see them. Hank

Attachments

• 2010-01-01 12.54.45.jpg
    2010-01-01 12.54.45.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 2010-01-01 12.54.08.jpg
    2010-01-01 12.54.08.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 2010-01-01 12.54.26.jpg
    2010-01-01 12.54.26.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 134
That seems to be a pretty complete pile of parts, once you get a pole set for it, and have the bolts/nuts to re-assemble, you should be on your way. If you're cable is ok, yes you'll need cable connectors. I wouldn't go for those cheap twist-on types, get the crimp-on RG6 connectors, or best would be the compression connectors. Both will need a special tool to fit them properly. I think I got the compression tool and about 10 connectors thrown in with it for about 25bucks at Lowe's Hardware store. Similar stores close to you should have one, or one of our sponsors here. It's not that hard to put it all together once you get started. With help from a sighted friend I'm sure you will both learn a lot. Just be sure you get the pole as vertical in the ground as possible, use a level to check 'plumb'. And put it where you have as clear a shot as possible of the southern sky, from due south, to southeast and southwest so your dish can hit as many satellites as possible.

thanks fore the help will be getting the pull and stuff as I get the funds this is so exciting I can't wait to get it up any place to pick up the pole? home depo had no idea what I was talking about. one online place had a pole with a base you bulted in to the concrete and put the dish on the pole pritty simple and straight forward fore 45.00 is this a good price or the usual price fore a pole? is the pole that allows bulting to concrete a good pole to get? Hank

To me FTA (free to air) is not only digital, but analog and OTA signals as well. I'm not giving up my old analog satellite receivers just yet. Still a lot to be seen if you look in the right places.

Hank if you have a smaller dish, like a 6' or maybe even 8' I wouldn't mind the pole-stand on concrete base, just seems like more work to me though. I've always just dug a hole and planted the pole in concrete. It's rocky here and the poles seem to stay put very well.
You could look around for a scrapyard or a welding shop for apiece of pipe to buy. Last time I checked at a real pipe shop they wanted premium price for a piece of 3 1/2" and wanted me to buy a whole section which was about 18-20' lol. I've gotten them at a junkyard for much better price and they'll usually cut it with a torch if needed. Just be sure you get one machine-cut end to mount the dish on-put the cut end into the ground. The mount needs to set flat on the pole, to be level as possible to track the satellite arc properly. Any humps or ridges on the top of the pole will throw the mount off. You need to check that when you concrete in the pole, top of pipe is level and pipe is perfectly vertical.

has any one on here ever sold poles on the boards? I am a payed emmber so do have access to the swop board if any one wants to help out it would be appreciated. this 7 foot dish is the only one I have besides my direct tv dish that was given to me whitch I posted in another post it looks like it isn't really recommend fore fta so currently I got my cband dish only. can some one sighted tell me if this will be able to recieve ku band okay? also I couldn't feel the lmb is it on there? or is that missing? thanks guys fore your awesome support. I couldn't have gone this far with out your all. Hank

Hank, that dish should be fine for c and ku, the lnb you have in the picture there is c-band only, its the part the cable is plugged into. You'll need either a c/ku feedhorn plus a ku lnb, or just a c/ku lnbf instead. With the lnbf-type, you'll change polarity (vertical or horizontal) with voltage from your fta receiver. With the older type feedhorn in your picture you'll need an analog c band receiver , or the vbox or gbox, whatever its called now. On the older type feedhorns, polarity is switched by a little motor mounted at the end of the feedhorn, called polarity motor or 'polarotor'. Most fta boxes will not supply the voltage to that, hence my suggestion for the newer, lnbf which is voltage controlled. Hopefully some of our members, if we have any in AZ can contact you to assist. I'd be glad to if I weren't so far away!

hello do we have any members in az? also do I have the feed horn or should I be okay with what I have? at least fore c-band recieving? also what do feed horn or lmbs fore my perticular dish cost? if any one is in az who can help that would be cool but any responses and guidence would be cool. thanks Hank

Hank, you have a feedhorn and lnb, should be ok. It's a c-band feedhorn, with a c-lnb attached.
They're kind of generic, feedhorn with lnb and polarity motor, or the newer, voltage switched type that has no polarity motor (does the switching w/voltage thru the cable). There are dual-lnb types of both models, c and ku feedhorns with the polarity motor, which would take a vbox or older analog satellite receiver to switch polarity, and also c/ku lnbf types, which a free to air box can operate. Our sponsors at top of page here sell most kinds.
Just starting out I would try the equipment you have, but you won't be able to switch from horizontal to vertical without the vbox, or an older analog receiver. Get the dish up and see how it goes from there . It's not too hard to swap out the lnb for the newer lnbf if you want one later.

when I get the dish up can I get some radio channels to try out? want to have a list to play around with. there a list fore c-band I can get?

Here's a link to the Lyngsat page that lists radio services, of course everything is subject to change, stations come and go, new ones pop up etc.
Free Radio from United States - LyngSat
Once you load the page you can click on the satellite name to find out where it is>any satellite with a location showing E longitude is on the other side of the world and not accessible for us. Far right you can find whether each service is listed as DVB (free to air) or
Digicipher II, which is used by the 4DTV receivers. Those would likely be scrambled anyway, but many of the DVB stations you should be able to get. I know there's tons of them on KU band, music, religious channels, foreign language stuff too.

thanks will give this a try. out of curiousity has any one successfully been able to pick up coasttocoast am on there c-band? I know ts floating around there some where. Hank

There was a thread about Coast to Coast not long ago-I asked about it. It is on a far west satellite, AMC8 I believe, but it has some kind of strange signal that most free to air boxes don't do. For me, the best alternative was to look around the local area on regular radio. And-I found a station I didn't know about that carried it on FM!!

we have it here in tucson az but the station is a bit week. its the only one in tucson that caries it. any way I can get a url to the thread that that was discussed on? also on another note where is the swop board? I can't find it in the forums links on the board am unsure if it do to me being in pda mode or whay it isn't appearing. also wanted to wanted to say thanks once again you guys are the best thanks a bunch <smiles>

we have it here in tucson az but the station is a bit week. its the only one in tucson that caries it. any way I can get a url to the thread that that was discussed on? also on another note where is the swop board? I can't find it in the forums links on the board am unsure if it do to me being in pda mode or whay it isn't appearing. also wanted to wanted to say thanks once again you guys are the best thanks a bunch <smiles>

Hank, here is the Coast-to-Coast thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/198055-art-bell-coast-coast.html

And here is the Classifieds forum:

SatelliteGuys Classifieds - SatelliteGuys.US

hello thanks fore the links I also found some one near tucson who can get me hooked up with a pole possibly fore the dish and possibly a analog reciever am unsure on the reciever part. I can't wait to get going with this cool awesome hobby. thanks fore your help. will reply to this thread if anything else comes up Hank

Post the info on the analog receiver once you learn about it-we'll let you know what you found.
Good luck!

hello the analog reciever is the following: Chaparral Monterey 90 also some one mentioned possibly using pvc pipe fore a pull can some one tell me if this would work? also some one also mentioned the base of the dish would tell me what size pipe to use can some one look at the photos and give me that information? am still looking fore piping that fell threw the Chaparral Monterey 90 I should hopefully be able to get. Hank

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)