Android Honeycomb Tablets

The (updated) Galaxy Tab 10.1 must be out today. Reviews coming in...
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 review -- Engadget
The conclusion we came to after using the Tab 10.1 Limited Edition mimics the conclusion we've drawn here: this is the best Honeycomb tablet to date, and lucky for you, the one's available to purchase! Only time will tell if the Android Market will prove to be as well-stocked as the App Store, and if you're willing to wait, this here slate provides a world-class Gmail experience, better handling than the iPad 2 (in our humble opinion, anyway) and a higher resolution display.

Diogen.

meStevo said:
Got to use a 10.1" Galaxy Tab today.

It was absolutely awful, felt flimsy, and was very slow.

Me too.. compared it to my Nook Color and Nook was alot faster lol.

Sent from my Atari 2600 via 14.4 FaxModem with Satelliguys Win7 APP (LoL dream on)

At the moment they have problems making enough of them, not finding buyers.
At least this was the case a few weeks ago...

Diogen.

I'll do just fine with my lowly nook color until the quad core tablets hit the streets 4Q 2011 or 1Q 2012

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

What exactly do you NEED a quad core tablet for? My dual-core iPad 2 flies, and runs everything I could put at it with no delays at all. Why on earth would we need it to be quad core? Same with an Android tablet; just not sure we need the same computing power in a handheld device as on a desktop or laptop. Its not like you are going to run Photoshop or do video editing on a tablet.

rockymtnhigh said:
What exactly do you NEED a quad core tablet for? My dual-core iPad 2 flies, and runs everything I could put at it with no delays at all. Why on earth would we need it to be quad core? Same with an Android tablet; just not sure we need the same computing power in a handheld device as on a desktop or laptop. Its not like you are going to run Photoshop or do video editing on a tablet.

So you can be like He-Man and raise your tablet and say, "By the power of Android, I HAVE THE POWER!!"

Sent from my iPad2 using SatelliteGuys super groovy app

What exactly do you NEED a quad core tablet for?
I can see one use even today: virtualization.
Phones running two VMs: business and private. Was even shown...
Most of the time dual/triple booting will be good enough. But virtual machines are more convenient...

Testing the latest Chrome OS (or any other OS for that matter) would just mean downloading vmx/vmdk files (or equivalents).

Diogen.

EDIT: And not to forget the ultimate goal: the phone being the ultimate CPU attaching to different "shells": tablets, laptops, TVs.
Maybe even desktops...:)

Last edited:

To replace the desktop with the tablet.

I still think tablets are primarily consumption and not creation devices; with the exception of light work like taking notes; just don't think any of the tablets are anywhere near the stage of replacing the desktop for the type of work I do ON the desktop.

I think we are at least an order of magnitude away from "good enough" CPU/GPU specs on the phone/tablet side.
That would take 2-3 years if you want them inside the same power bracket.

I don't see any problems making use of it, even inside the "consumption" style of usage:
anything voice-recognition related (without connecting to the backend), anything AI-related
(how do I get from A to B the fastest now), local GPS/maps, complex pattern recognition with the camera, etc.

And by the time this is in place, virtualization will be as easy and "magical" as iOS...:)

Diogen.

I still think tablets are primarily consumption and not creation devices; with the exception of light work like taking notes; just don't think any of the tablets are anywhere near the stage of replacing the desktop for the type of work I do ON the desktop.

For what I do, theres very little a tablet can't handle. Disc ripping (bluray, dvd, cd) and format transcoding on the audio side are the ones that I need a full fledged computer for.

Beyond that not much is missing for me.

EDIT: And not to forget the ultimate goal: the phone being the ultimate CPU attaching to different "shells": tablets, laptops, TVs.
Maybe even desktops...:)

Given the size of the SOCs, Asus is going down that road with the Padfone concept.

The system functionality is relatively small and should be pluggable into X display/hid for work. That could be a phone, tablet, entertainment console, computer chassis or whatever.

Your programs and your data follow the processing guts and scale appropriately based on the attached device/peripherals.

True with respect to virtualization. For most people that's a non-issue.

For me a virtualized ubuntu would rock though to handle my professional requirements.