Android Honeycomb Tablets

Not exactly from the '80s.

9443854_sb.jpg

Steve Mehs said:
Not exactly from the '80s.

Are you kidding? Can that surf the internet, play 1000's of games, text message or instant message? Hater-boi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys

No, nor do I want it to, I have a smartphone for that kind of stuff. I bought the Walkman specifically for music to replace my iPod.

And Yes I hate Apple and Lord Jobs with the fire of a thousand suns and then some. And pretty damn proud of it! I never thought I could hate someone more then Chuckie Ergan, but Lord Jobs has him beat.

No, nor do I want it to, I have a smartphone for that kind of stuff. I bought the Walkman specifically for music to replace my iPod.

And Yes I hate Apple and Lord Jobs with the fire of a thousand suns and then some. And pretty damn proud of it! I never thought I could hate someone more then Chuckie Ergan, but Lord Jobs has him beat.

Ok, great you hate the CEO's of two companies that provide "luxury" items, why do you care if anyone else uses them?

Ok, ok... Maybe we can get back to my question of whether there being no front runner in the android tablet market hurts Android's ability to compete with the iPad? That is what posted about before the hate-boi crap. I still think it is a valid question.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I think the lack of a front-runner is detrimental to the Android market, but I also think that Android tablets will compete just fine with the iPad.

But I think the uncertainty of which apps work with which tablet/os level is a much bigger issue for the Android market. For techies, it won't be an issue, or at most a minor one as they can figure it all out. In the overall consumer market which has more non-techies by far, it makes for mass confusion. And I suppose the seemingly never-ending announcements of the next Android tablet to come adds even more confusion. That confusion is not a good thing for the overall market.

When all the dust settles over this, I think it will be total Android tablet sales volume will be greater than the iPad, but the producers will make much less money on them compared to Apple. Most 'experts' seem to agree with me on this.

Getting back to the thread at hand, as one of the few people who didn't jump on the iPhone, iPad, or iTouch products (not a Apple fan), I've been waiting for the Android Honeycomb 3.1 tablet war to explode and in the next month and a half, things should get interesting. I've been using a Windows phone for the past 4 years and it's time to move to a new Android phone so I need something to complement it.

Been doing a lot of research and on June 8th, Samsung is releasing it's Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 at a lone Best Buy store in NYC then in all stores on the 18th. The tablet is thinner then the iPad2 and has similar connections. No built-in USB, HDMI, memory slot, etc but will be available in different memory configurations (16GB, & 32GB) and will have a Wi-Fi only and a Wi-Fi/4G (Verizon first then Sprint later) models. Personally I'm only interested in the 32GB Wi-Fi model which is supposed to sell for $599.

Toshiba is joining the field in July (around the 17th) with their Thrive models. I think they come in 8GB, 16GB, & 32GB configurations and will be a Wi-fi only tablet. Each model will have USB, HDMI, memory slot, etc but will be a little thicker (.66). Here I'm leaning towards the 32GB which will reportable sell for $579.

For those of you who are interested in the Motorola Xoom 32GB Wi-Fi model, The Walmart site has it for $579, and on the Motorola site, I think you can get $30 off the Xoom and free shipping. Not interested in the Xoom so didn't go that route.

I figured I can replace my 4 year old laptop which I only used when I traveled, with a tablet because they seem to have the same functionality I need and after I upgrade my phone to a new 4G model (thinking Samsung Charge), I can use the phones built-in hotspot to get on the Internet when I'm not near available Wi-Fi.

Thinner than the iPad 2? I am not sure that I would like a tablet that is much thinner.

I am guessing it would be marginally thinner. Hard to imagine it much thinner.

I got to try a Nook Color the other day, I was impressed by its weight and how slim it was compared with the Galaxy Tab 7, and that it was about half-way between a Kindle 3 and an iPad 2 in weight. So I guess its possible to lighten the load.

I am guessing it would be marginally thinner. Hard to imagine it much thinner.

I got to try a Nook Color the other day, I was impressed by its weight and how slim it was compared with the Galaxy Tab 7, and that it was about half-way between a Kindle 3 and an iPad 2 in weight. So I guess its possible to lighten the load.

I can see that the nook color would be thinner and lighter since it is a smaller form factor. I just don't see a 10" tablet being much thinner. I would be afraid that it would break if it was much thinner.

Been doing a lot of research and on June 8th, Samsung is releasing it's Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1...
If you are determined to find the best Android tablet, don't skip the Transformer. It leaves you the option of making it a notebook, for very reasonable $$$.
And no skimping on standard connectors and/or component quality. Asus seems to be determined to repeat their "invention" of the netbook...

Diogen.

PS If you can filter out the the psycho-analysts that believe people are too dumb to decide on anything but color - it will help a lot.

I think the lack of a front-runner is detrimental to the Android market

Why? There’s no clear front runner in the Android phone market and Google seems to be doing pretty well in that. There’s no real front runner in the PC industry and Microsoft is doing pretty well in that. So why is the lack of a front running Android tablet a big deal? Especially considering the tablet industry in it’s current form is barely a year old. Why does there need to be one true leader? In a year or two when the market calms down and some of the lesser manufactures pull out Google will be pretty well off with having 5 or 6 decent robust tablets. Just like right now, there are plenty of Android phones out there, but there's 5 or 6 that are really, really, good.

I would argue that the dual core HTC phone variants that are dropping across the various carriers over the next few months are the current benchmark android phones. The Atrix is a great phone but hobbled by lack of 4g on the stretched to the max att network. The galaxy s ii looks amazing but how long until it drops?

As for tablets, the Toshiba will be the best of the lot IMO. However the Asus padfone concept is one I find tremendously appealing and if/when it's offered in a quad core variant I will want that.

I think the real push will be here with the "i" variant of android which folds phone and tablet back into a unified code base. IMO honeycomb is a stopgap measure to avoid ceding the tablet market to apple.

The strength is the weakness for both contendors. Apple/ios has arguably enviable integration which is under the iron fisted control of apple hq. Google/android has broad vendor support on a variety of platforms. This can lead to a chaotic experience at the user level.

What draws me to android is that I can easily install alternative versions on an unlocked boot loader. I'm willing to use community support rather than vendor support for the OS and I've been running gingerbread months ahead of the vendor release.

I've used both, but prefer android.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The front runner Android smart phone changes on almost a weekly basis. I don't think this is hurting android sales or its ability to complete with the Iphone. I don't think that in the long term the lack of a "front runner" Honeycomb tablet is going to hurt the Android Tablet market.

That said if you aren't a "tech" person, I personally recommend both the Iphone and the Ipad to people all the time. Bottom line with iOS is that is does "just works". A normal person that wants the features of a smart phone/tablet doesn't want to deal with operating system upgrades and new software bugs and lack of applications, they just want what works. Give google 6 months to a year to fix some of their issues with Android and Honeycomb and I might change my mind.

Lost:

To fairly consider "best" you have to look at the underlying structure. Take the htc evo 3d/ sensation. The computing platform is close to identical, with radio and graphics differences due to the 3d implementation.

The same will be true for the galaxy s ii group and the lg optimus group etc.

I like the diversity and think thats pushing development of hardware and software faster.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)