Android Honeycomb Tablets

The half-DOA-size, i.e. 8.9" Honeycombs are upon us
Unsupported Browser
As you can see in this review, you can actually hold it in one hand.
That is really good news (I'm looking for the largest form factor that can be held in one hand).

Alas, the 3D LG doesn't have a WiFi only version yet and the 4G certainly isn't cheap ($530 on 2y contract).
I guess the price incorporates insurance against Apple that patented "rectangular body with rounded corners, a black border and an array of app icons"

Diogen.

That looks really tempting.
One more thing I'd wish for would be dual boot...

Diogen.

Anand reviews the Eee Pad
AnandTech.com - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Review

Conclusion that is hard to argue with
I actually believe the dockable tablet is indicative of where the netbook (and perhaps ultra portable notebook) market is going. Give me some more (or faster) cores and an OS even better suited for notebook duty and the line between a tablet and a netbook becomes quite blurry. I finally understand why NVIDIA opted for four cores in Kal-El and why Microsoft keeps looking to Windows 8 to be its tablet strategy. Windows 8 tablets will be Windows 8 netbooks; they'll just be modular.

Diogen.

There is a DOA-size Honeycomb tablet coming from Lenovo as well
Exclusive: Lenovo 7-inch Honeycomb tablet coming later this year | This is my next...

LenovoHC711.jpg

Diogen.

Unfortunately I have to give my Xoom a review of Incomplete, because of the fact that yesterday when I tried to turn it on it refused to obey me. I now have a $600 paperweight. Maybe it just malfunctioned, but I think that instead the Xoom found out I was doing research on the Asus Rodimus Prime and got a little worried. THEN it saw I was doing research on the Nook Color, unaware that the NC was for my wife (who I found out later would have rejected it because she demands a bigger screen) and out of jealous rage committed hari kiri while I was at work. In any case I'm now left to wonder whether I should get a new one, or if I should just go for the Asus Hotrod.

Still, as I said earlier, the Xoom did succeed in convincing me that tablet computing isn't just the newest shiny object to capture the eye of the masses. Even not having my Xoom for a day annoyed me because if I wanted to quickly update my facebook or go on the web I had to use my computer or my small phone screen. Still, it is rather intriguing that it decided to die 1 day before the release of the Asus. I think I may run out and pick one up. I just wish the other places had such a liberal return policy. I hate that so many stores have a 14 day return policy for computers, like 14 days is an adequate amount of time to properly evaluate something as complex and sophisticated as a computer.

Last edited:
The rooster of Honeycomb tablets is building up. By summer both Dell and Lenovo are planning to have their 10" on sale
Dell's 10-inch Android and Windows tablets get names, specs, release dates -- Engadget
Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet leaks out with Honeycomb, IPS screen, optional stylus and keyboard folio? -- Engadget

Since Lenovo's slate is going to have a stylus, they blew it since St. Jobs says so...:)

Diogen.

There is a big difference between a stylus which is used simply for drawing or scrawling notes than one which is essential to using the OS. With both my Tab and iPad, a stylus can be quite useful for specific apps, but is completely un-needed to use the actual device.

Since the Lenovo device will be a honeycomb one, the stylus will fall into the "optional" category, which really isn't a big deal, or worth getting all worked up about. Its not like my old Palm Treo where without that stylus, the device is pretty much useless, since you don't get the precision with a finger needed for it.

I see the stylus equipped devices a very useful "transitional" tool from mouse to hand.
Going straight from mouse (about 5% of a square inch) to hand covering half the screen is the first thing you notice when trying tablets...

Diogen.

Arrggghhh! There are just too darn many of them.

Agreed, they all are slightly different, none can gain market share to really compete with the iPad. Really the only Android tablet with real numbers is the Nook Color, and that is running Froyo and without rooting is limited at that.

I really like the Android OS, but don't like how the market is progressing.

Agreed, they all are slightly different, none can gain market share to really compete with the iPad. Really the only Android tablet with real numbers is the Nook Color, and that is running Froyo and without rooting is limited at that.

Spot on, and I agree.

rockymtnhigh said:

Same with the Android Market. One definite advantage the iPad has is that all tablet apps will work on the iPad. In android, I lost count of how many apps I saw that said "Does not work on all tablets." I realize it's something that is inevitable at this juncture but I don't feel like waiting for Google and developers to get their act together.

Sent from my iPad2 using SatelliteGuys super groovy app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)