Android Honeycomb Tablets

Some people think 10" tablets are too large for extended use without a stand.

Some think 7" tablets are too small. Samsung's approach seems to be the goldilocks approach small, medium, large.

The 8.9" tablet could be "just right" for those who feel 7" tablets are too small and 10" tablets are too large. Plus the 8.9" wins on pixel density.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I look forward to seeing one and trying one. There are some times I would like my 7" GTab to be just "a little" bigger, so I think you could be right. But I also think the 7" screen is really under-rated for what it provides.

Maybe they need to come up with a screen that changes size based on your needs. Here are a few shots of the Global Communicator from "Earth: Final Conflict". I know it's Sci-Fi, but so were tablets twenty years ago...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 4.14.22 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 4.14.22 AM.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 113
I am really curious to see if the honeycomb apps change from the ones on froyo, as there are huge differences between apps on the iPad compared with android. For example, the weather channel iPad app is amazing, but it's not nearly as impressive on the tab. I hope providers take the time to develop similar quality apps on android.

The biggest strength of open source in general (and Linux in particular) is its biggest weakness.
The moment its open nature starts affecting the bottom line, measures are taken to minimize the influence.
The question is, how do you remain within the confines of the license.

Linksys (long before acquired by Cisco) wasn't publishing its routers firmware for years.
TiVo's creative approach even triggered the release of GPL3.

Red Hat decided to obfuscate the updates
Red Hat: 'Yes, we undercut Oracle with hidden Linux patches' ? The Register
That will make Oracle "hijack" of Unbreakable Linux not as trivial
Ellison to Red Hat: 'Hide Your Wives and Daughters. We're Coming' | Oracle Developer's Journal

I believe there is no time frame specified in when the underlying source should be published.
Therefore, if Google publishes the source of the previous version when a new one is released, they should be in compliance.

Diogen.

As mentioned here, there is a catch: you can't just download an Android app and use it.
Instead, the author must re-compile the app and upload to RIM appstore.

Semantics, but can make a world of a difference to lawyers.
But it looks like a smart business decision on RIM's part...

Diogen.

Nook Color running Honeycomb now.. haven't tried it but will soon

Sent from my NookColor using SatelliteGuys app

I grabbed a NookColor when B&N had their $199 sale on the Bay. Decided to flash with CM7 Gingerbread as most reports I read said Honeycomb was very buggy on it. CM7 has been constantly updating the ROM. Bluetooth now works, and the overall responsiveness of the tablet is great. I might try Honeycomb when it becomes a stable release. The main reason would be that it's designed to work without hardware buttons. The lack of "back" and "menu" buttons on the Nook is a problem with some apps. There's workarounds, but it would be cleaner with native support.

Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun with the Nook.

Picked up a Xoom WiFi on Sunday. So far I'm digging it. I am appreciating the tablet computing thing more now, although I am getting a little frustrated by the buggy nature of Honeycomb and some of it's apps. Still, I got it from Costco so we'll see if it improves significantly in the next 90 days.

yourbeliefs said:
Picked up a Xoom WiFi on Sunday. So far I'm digging it. I am appreciating the tablet computing thing more now, although I am getting a little frustrated by the buggy nature of Honeycomb and some of it's apps. Still, I got it from Costco so we'll see if it improves significantly in the next 90 days.

My gut is the honeycomb thing is really the issue. Not quite ready for prime time. The nice thing with the Tab was it was running Froyo and was very stable, and runs all apps full screen with no problems. Good luck with the Xoom -look forward to your reports....

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It can be argued that Asus singlehandedly created the netbook market.
Now it looks like they try their hand on the new tab-book device (they even kept the Eee name)
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer shows up at Best Buy for $400 -- Engadget

Honeycomb 10" tablet (optional docking station converting it into a netbook). For $400.
Dual core Tegra, 1280x800 IPS display. I think they might have a better chance than Dell's flipper...

Diogen.

diogen:

I don't recall specs, was this 8 or 16gb internal storage?

If it's 16gb then we can safely say "asus gets it" in terms of how to price it vs the ipad.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Today I received my Viewsonic G-Tab that I purchased from Woot last week. I intend to flash it with a Vegan rom. I know that the xda people are working on a Honeycomb rom. I'll let you know how everything is working. The G-Tab is supposed to have the same specs as the Xoom except for the screen.

My gut is the honeycomb thing is really the issue. Not quite ready for prime time. The nice thing with the Tab was it was running Froyo and was very stable, and runs all apps full screen with no problems. Good luck with the Xoom -look forward to your reports....

Honeycomb is SOOOO not ready for Prime Time. Clearly they just threw it out there to try and head off the iPad 2, which, given the sales of the Xoom vs iPad2 they were about as successful as the Bay of Pigs invasion. Using the OS is like reading the first draft of a book. You're bound to run into a few of inconsistencies and typos along the way. Hopefully Google will release some patches soon once they confirm some more bugs.

yourbeliefs said:
Honeycomb is SOOOO not ready for Prime Time. Clearly they just threw it out there to try and head off the iPad 2, which, given the sales of the Xoom vs iPad2 they were about as successful as the Bay of Pigs invasion. Using the OS is like reading the first draft of a book. You're bound to run into a few of inconsistencies and typos along the way. Hopefully Google will release some patches soon once they confirm some more bugs.

I hope they do fix it quickly, but also think they shot themselves in the foot with the Tab, which ran Froyo great, and had plenty of potential, in a very stable os, but by saying "no, don't run this on tablets they eliminated all meaningful app development for the 7 inch form factor. Ironically the Nook Color is probably the single most popular Android tablet right now, but google is putting no real energy into tweaking gingerbread for that form factor.

Even greater irony, I am writing this from my iPad 2. :)

I don't begrudge Google for not releasing the source code for this OS yet, because as I said it clearly isn't finished yet.

If nothing else, the Xoom can be commended for finally turning me on to the concept of tablet computing. I love bringing the Xoom to the gym and watching Netflix and streamed media on my computer via PlayOn while I work out. I also like the quick website access, which is faster and more visually satisfying than doing it on my Nexus One. I even like using the camera to take pictures and film videos, as the bigger screen helps me seem things in better detail. Still, I didn't throw down over $600 (w/ tax) for a tablet that is basically incomplete, so we'll see if Google can right the ship sooner rather than later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)