Android Honeycomb Tablets

I am as anti-Apple as they come, but all I was saying was that even if Xoom goes down to $800- with the first month of service, that is ridiculously priced. This "pricehold" and even unfair price point will have people waiting longer. Motorola could have killed the market and competition with a starting point of $700 plus 1st month free via rebate.

I don't think $700 is enough to 'kill the market'. Since the average buy in price for the iPad is $600.

Yeah, I know the Xoom has all this wonderful tech in it that the iPad doesn't, but that's the geek in us talking. If it had depended on the geek market, the iPad would have been DOA. That should tell you something.

Actually, I do.
But what does this have to do with bashing iPad pricing?

I don't think there are people on this board that respect facts more than me.
The only issue about iPad pricing I ever raised is about Apple tricking the world to believe it will start at around $1000. WSJ.

But since you don't even remember who was first, the iPhone or the iPod Touch, I don't really expect you to understand...

Diogen.

So your point is that you are just trying to be an a$$. Got it, Thanks.

I think the biggest problem with current Android tablets is Google's policies about Market licensing: can't have it unless it's a phone or has 3G.

WiFi-only tablets could be priced lower (and the only one I'm interested in).
But then you don't get Market access and that is a no-no for tablet manufacturers.

I think there was some noise about Google planning to change this...

Diogen.

Ok guys, again, lets take it down about 5 notches, please. :)

I was as shocked as anyone by the crazy price quoted for the Xoom. I also enjoyed this piece today:

Is Froyo better than Honeycomb on tablets? | ZDNet

And as a Galaxy Tab owner, I am think there may be something to what he says. On a 7" screen, Froyo is extremely user-friendly and very functional. Apps like Tweetcaster, Tweetdeck, NY Times, WSJ, are extremely functional on it. Documents to Go works great. I regularly take notes in word docs on my tab; The only time I wish I had a 10" screen is when I am reading a complex PDF; otherwise it works perfectly. As a PDA, the combo of the "Pure Calendar Widget" with Astrid Tasks works great. But I know, the Honeycomb train has left the building... but I can't say I am altogether concerned if the original Tab never gets it. I'll be happy with the extra speed of Gingerbread. But even without that, Froyo is a polished OS.

And I think the large throng of people with Color Nooks as Android tablet will also share some of the same views in terms of the usability of the Steve Jobs' declared "DOA" 7" tab.

Yeah, I know. The reports I've read indicate that the 7" is a good unit. So this was a bit surprising. Possibly they are trying to get the selling price down and still make some profit off of it, hence cut corners a bit.

rockymtnhigh said:
And I think the large throng of people with Color Nooks as Android tablet will also share some of the same views in terms of the usability of the Steve Jobs' declared "DOA" 7" tab.
I played with a color Nook at B&N the other day. Maybe if you buy it and root it and throw away the Nook software you end up with a useable tablet, but out of the box, the Nook is an awful user experience.

Compared to a resistive touchscreen, it's "responsive", but I'd rather pay the extra $200 to get the iPad with the bigger screen or forgo the color and get the Kindle to read books.

I really liked the specs on the Galaxy Tab 10.2, but I wonder where the price-point will be. How the tables have turned if Apple turns out to be the value leader…

Last edited:
I played with a color Nook at B&N the other day. Maybe if you buy it and root it and throw away the Nook software you end up with a useable tablet, but out of the box, the Nook is an awful user experience.

Compared to a resistive touchscreen, it's "responsive", but I'd rather pay the extra $200 to get the iPad with the bigger screen or forgo the color and get the Kindle to read books.

The Galaxy Tab, which has the better screen, Froyo, a good user experience, and the benefits of a light tablet at 7" which has numerous advantages in my book. And the price is dropping rapidly. For $500 you can get a T-Mobile with 2 years of 3G. That is a great price.

I believe now is a good time to expect the Galaxy Tab to get a WiFi-only version and drop in price.
I'd prefer a 7" device over a 10" one even if that meant to forgo Honeycomb...

Diogen.

I believe now is a good time to expect the Galaxy Tab to get a WiFi-only version and drop in price.
I'd prefer a 7" device over a 10" one even if that meant to forgo Honeycomb...

Diogen.

The more I see screen-shots from honeycomb, the less I am compelled by it. As I said before, I find Froyo to work great on the 7" DOA Tab. It is better on the tab than on the Droid X. :) All I really want for the Tab is Android 2.4, so that it will have whatever speed advantage of gingerbread, and the ability to run apps written for the honeycomb tablets. But I am not anxiously waiting. It runs great as it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)