Android OS 2.2 FROYO

Anyone have any ideas as to how this is going to be released? I know it's going to be OTA, but what exactly does that mean? Does that mean EVERYONE gets it at the same time, will one carrier get it before the other, will it be a staggered release, etc?

Anyone have any ideas as to how this is going to be released? I know it's going to be OTA, but what exactly does that mean? Does that mean EVERYONE gets it at the same time, will one carrier get it before the other, will it be a staggered release, etc?

Each carrier controls when the updates go out. Nexus one will get it first, Motorola has made claims that it will be coming soon for Moto Droid, but Verizon will have some say in what version of Froyo gets out, i.e., will Verizon allow Wi-Fi tethering?

As soon as it is really in the wild, the custom roms will arrive soon thereafter, for the rooted community.

Expect Incredible to get it after the Moto Droid, since the Incredible has the SenseUI.

Each carrier controls when the updates go out. Nexus one will get it first, Motorola has made claims that it will be coming soon for Moto Droid, but Verizon will have some say in what version of Froyo gets out, i.e., will Verizon allow Wi-Fi tethering?

As soon as it is really in the wild, the custom roms will arrive soon thereafter, for the rooted community.

Expect Incredible to get it after the Moto Droid, since the Incredible has the SenseUI.
I'm just afraid that AT&T is going to do something breathtakingly stupid like delay the release of this to the point where Droid users get it before AT&T N1 users. After holding on to my N1 for a few more days and reading up on the improvements that 2.2 makes to the N1, it's looking more and more like I'm going to hang on to my little $529 investment. However, my mood will turn into that of Incredible (no pun intended) Hulk rage if T-Mobile gets this update first and then AT&T's release date is "TBD." Given AT&T's treatment of Android in general, it wouldn't surprise me if pushing 2.2 out to users ranked about as high as making sure that the automatic hand driers work in the restrooms of the AT&T parking garage..

I have a new rom with some froyo stuff in it!

I'm just afraid that AT&T is going to do something breathtakingly stupid like delay the release of this to the point where Droid users get it before AT&T N1 users. After holding on to my N1 for a few more days and reading up on the improvements that 2.2 makes to the N1, it's looking more and more like I'm going to hang on to my little $529 investment. However, my mood will turn into that of Incredible (no pun intended) Hulk rage if T-Mobile gets this update first and then AT&T's release date is "TBD." Given AT&T's treatment of Android in general, it wouldn't surprise me if pushing 2.2 out to users ranked about as high as making sure that the automatic hand driers work in the restrooms of the AT&T parking garage..

You do know that AT&T has nothing to do with the N1. Google will release the update to AWS band and AT&T/Rogers band at the same time.

Man, Froyo and Flash support can't come soon enough.. I'm new to "full" web browsing on a cell phone and you really don't realize how prominent Flash is until you don't have it anymore. I've found Skyfire doesn't really help either, even though it claims to have some Flash Lite or whatever pages still yell at me to install Flash. Ironically, when I decided to click on the "Get Flash" link, the Adobe web site said that I needed to install Flash for Mac OS X...

Anyone think that Google is going to try and jab Apple by releasing their 2.2 update today during the WWDC? Also, why is it called the WWDC and not the AWWDC?

Anyone think that Google is going to try and jab Apple by releasing their 2.2 update today during the WWDC? Also, why is it called the WWDC and not the AWWDC?

I've been constantly checking "About Phone -> System Updates" all day on my nexus thinking about that :)

Google has finally said SOMETHING about the release date, and by something I mean NOTHING:

Froyo on Nexus One: Google “Striving Hard to OTA it ASAP” | AndroidGuys

Honestly, this is getting harder every day waiting for this damn thing. It's like when you're 5 and you are waiting for something via mail order like from a cereal box campaign with the 4-6 week turnaround, and you need checking the mailbox in hopes that THIS time it will be there.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts