Anik F1R and Anik G1 signal survey Post your results.

I do get up to 97 on some channels, but since the trees have grown I easily lose signal as soon as there is a little wind. I have attached a picture of my dish for your enjoyment....yes the branches will be cut soon.... photo-4.JPG

I do get up to 97 on some channels, but since the trees have grown I easily lose signal as soon as there is a little wind. I have attached a picture of my dish for your enjoyment....yes the branches will be cut soon....View attachment 88319

I'll be interested to know how you fare...I'm just north of you in Harrisburg and wondering if my 75 will be all I need for G1.

Not the results that I hoped for.

Receiver: DSR-630
Dish Type: 75e
Channel 009 ... 6.8 dB
Channel 098 ... -3.9 dB
Channel 200 ... -4.0 dB
Channel 537/540 ... never got dB reading or signal.

mikekohl said:
St Louis-Missouri I would expect 009 to be at least +7.5, so unless the signal drops more than 3 dB on Anik G1
between Peoria and St Louis, you should have right at threshold on your dish if you can get another
dB out of it. Therefore if you were to install a 1.2 meter, it might be passable most of the time.
Further tests with 1 meter and larger antennas parked on 107 in your area will hopefully bear this
out. We don't know how fast the signal drops, but other readings in downstate Illiinois and
Eastern Iowa/northeastern Missouri could indicate some trends.

Guess I'll check the alignment the weekend. The settings went up on a clear day - but not enough, but not up to the 7.5 dB expected on channel 009.

Channel 009 ... 6.9 dB
Channel 098 ... -3.2 dB
Channel 200 ... -3.2 dB

I´m following this thread, would like to see how far south G1´s signal reaches.

But I believe I´m totally out of any hope down in Central Mexico, even with my 1.8 meter dish, therefore at this time I´m not investing to upgrade my receiver for the 6xx series and extended LNB. :(

I´m following this thread, would like to see how far south G1´s signal reaches.

But I believe I´m totally out of any hope down in Central Mexico, even with my 1.8 meter dish, therefore at this time I´m not investing to upgrade my receiver for the 6xx series and extended LNB. :(

I think there are some channels you will get with a 6xx series that are on F1R and F2.

Further inputs have led me to be very concerned about the accuracy of people's alignments on the 75E antenna. The skew adjustment on the back of the dish must be dead on for optimum signal, and is actually set up to be peaked and centered while the dish itself is pointing at 111.1 West.

There are Skew Angles posted for most locations in North America within the Satellite Pointing Angles section of the Global Communications website at www.global-cm.net

Otherwise you are directed to use www.dishpointer.com and put in your exact community, along with selecting the 111.1 West satellite position. Look for the Skew Angle.
Example +20.0 degree skew angle would translate to the center position of 90 PLUS 20 = 110 setting.

I have ran into more than one person that has had their skew set wrong, and this will throw off everything, making all signals weaker because the LNBF is not synchronized with the wavefront of the strongest signal.

So PLEASE verify that you are starting with the proper skew angle before going through the trouble of taking all of these measurements.

With every tenth of a dB critical on Anik G1 installations near and past the edge of coverage with stock 75E antennas, five degrees off in skew may be pushing things. I would go for the textbook number as calculated for 111 West position itself.
PLUS as you go south, the skew difference spread between 107 and 111 increases.

Guess I'll check the alignment the weekend. The settings went up on a clear day - but not enough, but not up to the 7.5 dB expected on channel 009.

Channel 009 ... 6.9 dB
Channel 098 ... -3.2 dB
Channel 200 ... -3.2 dB

mikekohl said:
St Louis-Missouri I would expect 009 to be at least +7.5, so unless the signal drops more than 3 dB on Anik G1
between Peoria and St Louis, you should have right at threshold on your dish if you can get another
dB out of it. Therefore if you were to install a 1.2 meter, it might be passable most of the time.
Further tests with 1 meter and larger antennas parked on 107 in your area will hopefully bear this
out. We don't know how fast the signal drops, but other readings in downstate Illiinois and
Eastern Iowa/northeastern Missouri could indicate some trends.

Ok -- re-aligned dish in Saint Louis, got a significant improvement on F1R and F2, but not enough to get G1 on 75e dish..

Channel 009 ... +8.2 dB
Channel 098 ... -2.2 dB
Channel 200 ... -2.4 dB
Channel 540 ... -4.4 dB

It looks like I will upgrade to 1.2m dish soon. Mike, I will be contacting you about the LNBs.

There is a thick cloud cover now, but don't think I would have enough signal on a sunny day with 75e dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)