Another Newbie Here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wysiwyg

Original poster
May 31, 2007
Hello Everyone!

Please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place. I am still getting familiar with everything on this forum.

I am wanting to get into the FTA hobby. I have installed DTV and DISH many times but the FTA stuff is new to me.

I have purchased a Pansat 2800A along with a 30" dish antenna with a universal LNB. I tried yesterday to get it to pick up something, anything but was unable to do so. I am interesed mainly in getting G10 for the RTN channels. I was able to pick up sat. 129 but I was looking for 123.

The problem I am having is that it seems no matter where I point the dish antenna, I am not getting a signal on my meter. I have two different meters to use. A satbuddy and a acutrac meter. I have no problems installing DN or DTV but I am having difficulties with getting anything at all with FTA.

What is the easiest way to have my Pansat 2800 and antenna set up? Remember, I have a universal LNB so does sqew make a difference?

Just starting out, your help very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone!

What is the easiest way to have my Pansat 2800 and antenna set up? Remember, I have a universal LNB so does sqew make a difference?

Just starting out, your help very much appreciated.

Thanks!
1st of all Welcome to Satellite Guys.........

Skew always makes a difference , not skewed correctly can be the difference between getting channels and not getting anything.

I'm just wondering if the LNB you have is really a Linear Universal LNB because when I scan 129.0 I don't get Dish Network , I get White Springs Televion.

In fact White Springs television is the only FTA channel on 129.0 west that I know I can get with my Universal LNB

Last edited:
You do know that the Universal LNB won't pick up anything you are pointed at, unless the 22khz tone it turned on and fed to it...?
Since you sound like a Dish/DirecTV installer, maybe that's not something that would immediately come to mind...?

For my first setup on WhiteSprings with a Universal, I made darned sure my receiver was set up with 22khz on, and then proceeded to use a cheapo meter to zero in on the signal.
Wasn't a big deal, and that was on a 20" dish. - :cool:

edit: speaking of LO frequencies -
PSB said:
Standard KU LNB's use an L.O. of 10750
Universal KU LNB's use an L.O. of 9750 & 10600
DBS LNB's use an L.O. of 11250

Thanks for the info on the 22khz, I will try this. The reason why I asked about the skew was because I thought I read somewhere on this forum that it didn't make a difference on a universal lnb.

One more question. Just to make sure I have it right when I go to my pansat 2800A, I just make sure it is set for 22khz and choose the satellite from the list of what I want to lock in on. I am wanting to get the RTN channels so I do choose the G10 satellite from the list. It that right? I was reading where G10 was gone. Do I still choose it in the list or do I choose another that is now in its place?

I will report back here once I go through this again.

Thanks again guys!

G10R and G17 are both at 123W at the moment, with G17 about to take over. I think that G10R is still the active bird, though. Even so, simply select Galaxy 10 on your menu, and also select the 11800 V transponder, which is pretty powerful, to give yourself a good target. Always remember to select an ACTIVE transponder for tuning.
:)

Or with the 2800 just get to the vicinity and do a blind (smart) scan and see where you are in the arc :)

Exactly which LNB do you have. I have seen the Digiwave DGL1189 series and Invacom QPH referred to as a "Universal" 'cause it does both Circ and Linear. If you can, look at the Tag on the LNB for the L.O. settings.

Unlike DirecTV and DishNet, Skew is very important for Linear FTA.
Be sure to know and understand what your skew should be.

Exactly which LNB do you have. I have seen the Digiwave DGL1189 series and Invacom QPH referred to as a "Universal" 'cause it does both Circ and Linear. If you can, look at the Tag on the LNB for the L.O. settings.

Unlike DirecTV and DishNet, Skew is very important for Linear FTA.
Be sure to know and understand what your skew should be.

The LNB I am using is a Fortec Star FSKUVN Universal Single LNBF.

I tried again today for a couple of hours using the 22khz tone from my meter and I did pick up something. When I went to do a smart scan it ended up being satellite 121. I got a screen saying I was on DISH 121 Satellite. No other channels available other than this one. Once I had the 121 I knew about where I was and tried moving my antenna a little more to the west. Just a slight nudge but then I wasn't getting anything after that.

Still open for more suggestions. Should I get a different LNB?

Thanks again.

make sure the settings are correct in the receiver

should be set for Universal 1....that will automatically turn the 22k on

depending on location, your elevation needs to drop a degree from 121 to 123. Here in MN I have to drop the elevation about a degree to get 123W from 121W

I did have it set for universal #1. When you say it automatically turns on the 22khz do I have to do anything with my meter? I am using a sat-buddy and it has a button for 22khz. If my pansat has the 22khz on what should I have my sat-buddy set to? Do I use my tv monitor to get the signal or should I focus on my meter?

Once I get the idea here, I should be o.k.
I have just been used to DN and DTV which I have installed at least a thousand times along with a few Wildblue systems but this is a new ball game for me.

Thanks!

I would use the quality meter on the reciever...make sure you have an active transponder (check thelist for the active ones) and use that to dial it in. Since you're on 121W 123W is very close. literally lean into the dish and it will move the 2 degree :)

If you're getting the "Congrats on the Superdish" channel on 121w, just SLOWLY move the dish a bit west until you lose 121w, then stop. Blind scan, and you should have the RTN channels on 123w.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts