Another PS3 price drop rumor, plus a "slim" version coming...?

Yep, PS3 and Wii household here. No real desire to get a 360. Not sure why exactly, I guess because the 360 hasn't offered anything that I really want (and can't get elsewhere).

I like to say in my 40 year life, I felt there was a lot of cars, home, women and etc. that was over priced. But, if I wanted it bad enough I found ways to getting what I want and everything else is just a wish list. Because if I can't afford it, is no right to put it down and hate on it.

Example: I want a Bentley and I know it's out of my reach. That don't mean the Bentleys sucks.
I'm am driving a 2008 chrysler 300 and 2004 ford F150. The 300 is something like a Bentley.
Just Kidding, LOL

CFS_Introduction_Main.jpg
01_photo_ext_300_09.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty Heavy...

Not sure I would call the 300 "something like a Bentley" but if it makes you feel better then I guess...

Nothing to see here... the price is fine guys... oh and they're going to sell just under 12 million PS3s in the next 9 months. I think it would take a $200 price cut to do that.

PS3 and PSP hardware sales decline.

Sony has released its fiscal Q1 financial earnings, reporting a decline in sales and an 18 per cent fall in operating revenue in the game business.

Sales of the PS3 in the quarter ended June 30, 2009 were 1.1 million units, compared to 1.6 million in Q1 fiscal 2009. The PSP took a massive hit, sales down from 3.7 million units in Q1 2009 to only 1.3 million units in the recent quarter. The PlayStation 2 saw a 100,000 unit increase to 1.6 million units.

Despite the declines, Sony still maintains it will sell 13 million PS3s, 15 million PSPs and 5 million PS2s during the current financial year.

Sony's game business revenue down 18% - VideoGamer.com

Last edited:
Yeah, the site I found that article from didnt have the one that included the Wii stuff in it at the time :(

Nintendo blaming Apple for their declines... but they're profitable at least.

The interesting thing for me personally is that I'm actually getting more out of my Wii right now (got Punch-Out! and a couple of others) than my PS3, which I never thought I would say...

Of course, that's just the calm before the storm with Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank, RB: Beatles and some of the other stuff coming up this fall....

Rumors/reports out that Sony is now actually making a profit on every unit sold, so much that they could drop the price $100 and still be making a profit.

Rumor: PS3 now 70 percent cheaper to manufacture

The problem is (and this isnt covered in that link) they're not able to enjoy some profit-reaping like Wii (from the start) and the 360 (for the last ~2 years) because of their market position. They're clearly not making what they hoped to on software sales, so dropping the price $100 still could be put off until later in the fall.

In other words, it's great for Sony, it sucks for the consumer. And when the price drops, it will be great for the consumer, but kinda suck for Sony. It will suck even more if at $300 it gets the 'oh, this is a nice BD player' and it attracts those buyers, because they need to get PS3 purchasers to buy PS3 games. The longer they stall the more affordable BD players get and the less a price cut shoots them in the foot.

The interesting thing for me personally is that I'm actually getting more out of my Wii right now (got Punch-Out! and a couple of others) than my PS3, which I never thought I would say...

Of course, that's just the calm before the storm with Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank, RB: Beatles and some of the other stuff coming up this fall....

I don't have a Wii, but I'm right there with you in "waiting-for-fall-releases" mode. All the developers and manufacturers are hurting from slow software sales right now, but then they cram all the best releases into one season, during which I couldn't possibly pick up and play all the titles I want. So I end up waiting a few months to get the ones I didn't get in the fall when their price drops. If one of those had been released in July/Aug., I might have paid full price for it.

As it stands, I'm really getting my money's worth out of games in my collection that I've had ample opportunity to revisit this summer. I've gone through Uncharted1 three times already and am getting ready to take another run through Bioshock and maybe R&C: TOD.

For me, it's NCAA/Madden months, doesnt matter what else comes out, it'll wait till later.

We got into WiiFit and were doing really well with it... we got EA's Active and stopped doing anything with it at all :(

As we start to move into the later part of the year with the current economy and such I wonder if this year there will be more deals other then "bundle packages"

Lots of stuff out today... reportedly Sony has ordered enough parts to make a million PS3s next quarter, up a ton more than their normal parts orders... and a chain in Japan was apparently told the 80gb has bee discontinued.

Rumor has it the Slim may launch as early as 8/18.

Looks to be official, finally.... release date 8/24 (monday)

Also looks like the remaining 80GB models will be dropped to $299 and the 160GB Uncharted bundle will be $399.

Attachments

• slim - Kmart.jpg
    slim - Kmart.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 104

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)