Another PS3 price drop rumor, plus a "slim" version coming...?

Included in box: PlayStation 3 system × 1, Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK 3) × 1, AC power cord × 1, AV cable × 1, USB cable × 1

:(

yep microsoft gave up and dosent give out a hdmi cable with the elite, why should playstation? sucks dosent it...oh well competition is good for everyone, wait we got screwed on this one.

early sept. is what I have read also price cuts dont go in effect till tommorow...now I wonder if gamestop does price matching within 30 days as My brother bought a used one from them on the 25th, wonder if they will price match or let him trade it in for a new one.

edit: from jack trenton Sept 1st

Sony unveils slimmer PS3: $300, lands in September (updated!)

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's kind of boring (ugly?) compared to the old one.

I'd definitely take the smaller size and (I'm assuming) lack of fan noise, but I like the look of mine much better - not to mention hardware-based BC.

Sony officially announces $299 PS3 Slim

Sony on Tuesday finally took the wraps off the much-rumored PS3 Slim and gave it the more affordable $299 price tag consumers have been clamoring for.
Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai performed the unveiling at a press conference in Cologne, Germany, preceding the opening of the Gamescom Expo. He took the stage and announced the PS3 was "getting a new model" and that, indeed, it was called the PS3 Slim.
Source & More: cnet.com

I guess Sony is following Microsoft's model of "Releasing the 2nd time what you SHOULD have released the FIRST time."

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's kind of boring (ugly?) compared to the old one.

I'd definitely take the smaller size and (I'm assuming) lack of fan noise, but I like the look of mine much better - not to mention hardware-based BC.

its just you :) no...actually I think what they did was give it a matte finish so the scratches and fingerprints dont show up as much, I would Ass-u-me that is what they were going for.

I guess Sony is following Microsoft's model of "Releasing the 2nd time what you SHOULD have released the FIRST time."
In this case though, I prefer the First time. :(
Will the new slim PS3 be have backward compatibility with PS2 games?
Tretton: No. We are three years into the PlayStation 3 life cycle. The library for PlayStation 3, both disc-based and network-based, is extensive. The consumer is playing PS3 games on the PS3. And given the fact that we have got a 140 million PS2s out there and it is currently available at $99, we really feel the PS2 serves the consumer who wants to play PS2 games. The PS3 is all about the PlayStation 3 experience.
I would like to put a PS3 slim in the kid's playroom, but since they have a bunch of PS2 games, I want something backward compatible.
Their PS2 is starting to show wear in the drive, so needs replacement soon, I'd prefer to replace with a single PS3 instead of buying both a PS3 & PS2.

i agree the non bc on the ps3 after intial launch will keep me from buying a slim anytime soon .Now you would think since they "still" sell the ps2 that theres a market for those games but yet they took out the bc so they still need to produce the ps2

Is it just me or does the new PS3 look quite a bit like the old PS2?
Joystiq

I find it funny that Sony is reverting back to old advertising techniques that they used with the PS2 to now sell the PS3, like using the old-school logo and saying "Play Sta Tion!" at the end of the ads, etc etc. I guess they figured THAT was the reason why the PS3 wasn't selling as opposed to lacking BC, good exclusives (okay yes they're good but there aren't ENOUGH of them), and an extreme price tag. At least they fixed part of the problem.

i agree the non bc on the ps3 after intial launch will keep me from buying a slim anytime soon .Now you would think since they "still" sell the ps2 that theres a market for those games but yet they took out the bc so they still need to produce the ps2
To them it's probably cheaper (and in their eyes, more profitable, although that is questionable) to just keep making PS2s and getting large profit returns on them as opposed to implementing it into PS3s.

Is it just me or does the new PS3 look quite a bit like the old PS2?
Joystiq

I find it funny that Sony is reverting back to old advertising techniques that they used with the PS2 to now sell the PS3, like using the old-school logo and saying "Play Sta Tion!" at the end of the ads, etc etc. I guess they figured THAT was the reason why the PS3 wasn't selling as opposed to lacking BC, good exclusives (okay yes they're good but there aren't ENOUGH of them), and an extreme price tag. At least they fixed part of the problem.

Sony has pretty much fallen on their face marketing-wise this generation, the 'black box in the white room' ads were some of the worst console-selling ads I've ever seen. You don't buy the black obelisk because it looks shiny, you buy it because of the games, which they never really would show clearly, instead they'd be leaking through a wall or exploding or something.

its just you :) no...actually I think what they did was give it a matte finish so the scratches and fingerprints dont show up as much, I would Ass-u-me that is what they were going for.

I guess that's true, although I still prefer "shiny" things, even if that means I have to clean them a little more often.

And, of course, the response (from the 360 Twitter page):

Starting Friday, August 28th Xbox 360 Elite will be $100 dollars off the current price in the United States, now $299.99.

Yeah, they've phased out the Pro SKU and dropped the elite to that price.

If they want to embrace digital distribution and stuff, they really should change their philosophy on hard drives, allow us to upgrade, and not fleece us on the price of a new 360 drive.

I'd love to install a couple games to my drive, but ive got a 20gb with a couple gb of Rock Band songs and a few years of game saves. I think analysts are also expecting a Wii $50 drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)