Another reason to subscribe to H2H

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Yet another reason to subscribe to H2H. I just saw on our local news that a DVR costs approx. $60 per year being plugged in even when not recording.

Having a DVR is nice, but do I really need hundreds of episodes of TV shows and movies recorded that can easily be seen again in reruns or available on DVD? Perhaps not.

I'm thinking of getting the Deluxe Package from Skyvision during July to give it another try with the family to see if it becomes more accepted by them. If so, I can give Dish Network the boot.

I use the same VCR from 1997 that draws 23 watts. :D When I want to do Digital I have a capture card in my PC that can record then I burn to DVD. H2H still running here, 7 days till I bust Direct down to the Family pack :)

Yeah. I was surprised that a DVR draws so much power when "off". On the news they showed a DVR that draws 30 watts when recording or during playback and draws 29 watts when "off"/standby! I can't understand why it would draw so much power when in standby.

I use the same VCR from 1997 that draws 23 watts. :D When I want to do Digital I have a capture card in my PC that can record then I burn to DVD.

If you're like me then you have a PC running 24/7 which draws far more power than a DVR. I have one PC online 24/7 because I run servers. Not to mention the DSL modem and router running 24/7. Oh, I have a SD video capture card in that PC also.

The hard drive is always going even when in standby. Its downloading the guide and if it a Directv one it still buffers the last channel for 90 minutes. I dont know if a Dish DVR does the same thing

My Pc's don't run 24/7 my router and DSL modem shuts off when I turn off the net never leave that on. My VCR draws like 5 watts in standby.

$60 per year being plugged in, 6x12= $72 for PVR monthly fees.

That's $132 just to run your PVR.

My Visionsat has a PVR that I use a usb stick on, if I want to record DVB. It is also on a switched power center so there is no AC on unless I use it. Visionsat PVR monthly fees $ 0. Plugged in fees only if I turn the AC on. I heard on my local news this morning that running the DVR costs 50% of what you pay to run the refrigerator. :eek:

My TIVO series-1 runs the hard drive all the time if it's plugged in, not only power but wear and tear. My Philips DVR-DVD recorder doesn't. For quick time shifting I just insert a USB stick in my Diamond and hit record, works fine for SD for things I don't want to save after viewing. Fine for satellite and OTA.

Yet another reason to subscribe to H2H. I just saw on our local news that a DVR costs approx. $60 per year being plugged in even when not recording.

Having a DVR is nice, but do I really need hundreds of episodes of TV shows and movies recorded that can easily be seen again in reruns or available on DVD? Perhaps not.

I'm thinking of getting the Deluxe Package from Skyvision during July to give it another try with the family to see if it becomes more accepted by them. If so, I can give Dish Network the boot.

I'm not a subscriber as of yet, but I've kinda decided, if the Discovery Chs stay avail, I'll probably subscribe to that pack since my wife's fav ch is the ID Ch. The other chs currently on H2H, well unfortunately, I have little interest in most of them. There's few good ones there, but hardly worth subscribing to an entire pkg just to watch one or two chs. And hardly worth paying 5 or 6 bucks for 1 ch, assuming it might be ala carte.

The hard drive is always going even when in standby. Its downloading the guide and if it a Directv one it still buffers the last channel for 90 minutes. I dont know if a Dish DVR does the same thing

I guess they won't be getting a good EnergyStar rating anytime soon.

May as well run an old 25" tube color tv console. When I was a kid they drew 360 watts, kept the room warm too.:)

I found out Dish DVR's do the same thing. But they dont buffer like Directv's do ;) They are on all the time. Heck when you "turn off" the DVR there is a screensaver that pops up

Most STB's only mute audio & video when turned off. The problem of energy wasting started when the manufactures started to keep the power supply active always. In the early computer circuit days certain circuits had to stay on to keep ram data alive. These days they could store the data in non volatile memory and go back to switching off AC at the line cord if they really wanted.

May as well run an old 25" tube color tv console. When I was a kid they drew 360 watts, kept the room warm too.:)

LOL. I remember before they added "instant on" to tube sets. You'd have to set there and wait for it to warm up before having picture. Then, you had to lug your butt all the way back across the room to change the channel or adjust the volume.

We were just glad when we finally got a color set. I still remember the first time I saw Star Trek in color. Before that, I never knew that their uniforms weren't all the same color. :)

Cheers

LOL. I remember before they added "instant on" to tube sets. You'd have to set there and wait for it to warm up before having picture. Then, you had to lug your butt all the way back across the room to change the channel or adjust the volume.

We were just glad when we finally got a color set. I still remember the first time I saw Star Trek in color. Before that, I never knew that their uniforms weren't all the same color. :)

Cheers
I remember those days. But my parents had a remote control. It was me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts