anttenna / sat combiner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jldesign

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
this may sound stoopid and simple question but this is my first need for a ANT. how do I connect the sat and an indoor hdtv anteanna to my HD DVR+?

can I use this IDEAL 5mhz - 2.1 ghz combiner (from box store) to combine the SAT and ANT right to the back of the receiver? if so how do I add the channels to record them. iwill it knock out the HD channels?

thanks for any help

You just plug the antenna into the antenna connection on the back of the receiver. If your receiver doesn't have a connection for an antenna, then your receiver doesn't have the tuners available for OTA and you can't use an antenna with it.

I have what direct gave me It is the dual HD DVR isn't it the top dog? so you're saying I get the best receiver and it can't get OTA? WT$% am I missing it "does not have" a ANT IN like the standard DVR we have upstairs or the little SD receiver in the the other room.

Sounds like you have an HR21 which dosen't have OTA capabilities designed in. Contact D* for their solution to the problem.

Sounds like you have an HR21 which dosen't have OTA capabilities designed in. Contact D* for their solution to the problem.

what is there solution?

first I had to leave D@sh with no line of sight (all my new trees in the woods), I was told I WOULD GET locals right off the bat (lied to on the phone straight out - well I get PBS and CW - yeah) all told now I have no locals, can't get them via the ANT in with a $200 upfront receiver?

WTF - I'm not off to a good start guys

what is there solution?

first I had to leave D@sh with no line of sight (all my new trees in the woods), I was told I WOULD GET locals right off the bat (lied to on the phone straight out - well I get PBS and CW - yeah) all told now I have no locals, can't get them via the ANT in with a $200 upfront receiver?

what is there solution?

Sounds like you came here a little too late to help you. The solution, had you known about this beforehand, was to insist on having an HR-20 installed rather than a -21, since the -20 does have an OTA input and two tuners for it.

Since you didn't, there are only two solutions I can think of:

1. Call them and complain and insist they replace your -21 with a -20, which they may or may not do. Make sure you say "cancel service" at the voice prompt to get to the retention department. They're the only ones that have any flexibility.

2. Wait until they come out with the OTA add-on for the -21 - no idea when that will be or if it will be any good.

called direct they basically said SO SORRY TOO LATE your under contract we cant replace that unit you would have to purchase it retail HR20 and activate. oh yeah you can't return the receiver HR21 oh yeah sorry they said you can get locals you can't oh yeah sorry you can't connect an OTA to your HD set via the receiver to record oh yeah we can't help you at all (she really said that)

oh yeah 2 weeks in - direct sucks and are so helpful I wish my dish was back

thanks for the info boys but yet again I'm bent over :mad:

DTV needs an answer to the OTA input on the HR-21. I had to go to an OTA antenna to get one of my local channels in HD (a LIN-TV greedy station), and I cannot record it in HD. Unacceptable.

I am giving WISH-TV in Indy and LIN-TV a lot of nasty-grams right now. It probably won't do anything other than make me feel good while enraging the poor guy getting my messages. I'm essentially trolling them.

antenna/sat combiner

called direct they basically said SO SORRY TOO LATE your under contract we cant replace that unit you would have to purchase it retail HR20 and activate. oh yeah you can't return the receiver HR21 oh yeah sorry they said you can get locals you can't oh yeah sorry you can't connect an OTA to your HD set via the receiver to record oh yeah we can't help you at all (she really said that)

oh yeah 2 weeks in - direct sucks and are so helpful I wish my dish was back

thanks for the info boys but yet again I'm bent over :mad:

What type/model of TV do you have?

Most of the newer, larger HDTVs have an ATSC tuner built into them. All you need to do is plug your antenna into the "antenna in" port on the back of the set.

yeah I have OTA on my plasma BUT no recordability - Unacceptable!! IMO

still bent over with NO locals that look good - do I really need to hook up a VCR? pleaseeeeeeeeee that is just insane

yeah I have OTA on my plasma BUT no recordability - Unacceptable!! IMO

still bent over with NO locals that look good - do I really need to hook up a VCR? pleaseeeeeeeeee that is just insane
VCR??? what's that You buy a HD TiVo and subscribe to that.

You signed a contract accepting what D* installed. Your right they now have you over a barrel. Calm down and be nice call Directv and see if you can't work out a solution with retention. HR20-100 are still being produced, HR20-700 are being returned from leases it will take patience and being polite but you should be able to work something out. A worse case scenario is write a snail mail to Chase Cary CEO at the address in your instruction books. Someone will help you but be nice.(your post here are confrontational not NICE):)

VCR??? what's that You buy a HD TiVo and subscribe to that.

You signed a contract accepting what D* installed. Your right they now have you over a barrel. Calm down and be nice call Directv and see if you can't work out a solution with retention. HR20-100 are still being produced, HR20-700 are being returned from leases it will take patience and being polite but you should be able to work something out. A worse case scenario is write a snail mail to Chase Cary CEO at the address in your instruction books. Someone will help you but be nice.(your post here are confrontational not NICE):)

see back posts - called they said so sad too bad - go buy one a a box store and pay to have it turned on. oh yea your stuck with the unit you have so enjoy!

oh well live and learn - I'll survive then probably cut a few trees and move back to dish where I get better service and free locals!!!!!! thanks for all the info guys much thanks

PS the HD channels are pretty nice on direct compared to dish I will give them that much - I do miss my HD moster channel though

I just had Direct Installed and found out a LOT of secrets I was not told when switching from DISH--especially on the hardware, etc. I DID insist on the HR 20 and they did bring it, but the remote situation is crazy--also I was forced to also buy the R15 to get RF remote capability for the 2nd TV in another room.

Then I find out that I will not be able to see ALL my channels on the R 15 on the 2nd TV because the HD only channels will not come in on the R15 like they did on my dual tuner 622 with DISH.

Here's an idea--do you have any capability of getting your locals off the air? If you didn't, you could apply for a waiver and get Direct's Distant Networks in HD which WOULD come through your receiver and be recordable.

OR "move" to an area that does have Locals in HD--check any threads on that topic--don't know the details with Direct.

I will post another thread on all the surprises in moving from Dish to Direct.

Don't feel alone--you have a lot of company, but it's no comfort. I plan, when the 2 years is up and DISH has all its HD to move back to DISH.

I just had Direct Installed and found out a LOT of secrets I was not told when switching from DISH--especially on the hardware, etc. I DID insist on the HR 20 and they did bring it, but the remote situation is crazy--also I was forced to also buy the R15 to get RF remote capability for the 2nd TV in another room.

Then I find out that I will not be able to see ALL my channels on the R 15 on the 2nd TV because the HD only channels will not come in on the R15 like they did on my dual tuner 622 with DISH.

Here's an idea--do you have any capability of getting your locals off the air? If you didn't, you could apply for a waiver and get Direct's Distant Networks in HD which WOULD come through your receiver and be recordable.

OR "move" to an area that does have Locals in HD--check any threads on that topic--don't know the details with Direct.

I will post another thread on all the surprises in moving from Dish to Direct.

Don't feel alone--you have a lot of company, but it's no comfort. I plan, when the 2 years is up and DISH has all its HD to move back to DISH.

Do you think they will have ST and EI then? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)