Any active transponders on 137w or 139w?

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
With all of the repositioning, are there any active C or Ku band transponders are 137w or 139w? Even if its all encrypted, I figure I might as well save the positioning. If not, at least I'm good from 55w-133w :)

Reactions: c-spand
Found it, thank you.
Is anyone receiving this new Alaska mux east of the Rockies? Lyngsat does not yet have an EIRP map for C-band coverage of AMC-6 at 139 West location, but another source indicates a +30 dBw receive level might be possible roughly west of the Mississippi River. If you can receive it, please report a C/N level if available, where you are located, and size of dish.
139 West 4056 MHz horizontal 13.250 symbol rate

Reactions: N5XZS and KE4EST
Is anyone receiving this new Alaska mux east of the Rockies? Lyngsat does not yet have an EIRP map for C-band coverage of AMC-6 at 139 West location, but another source indicates a +30 dBw receive level might be possible roughly west of the Mississippi River. If you can receive it, please report a C/N level if available, where you are located, and size of dish.
139 West 4056 MHz horizontal 13.250 symbol rate
Here in central Canada I get the 4057 mux at about 35-40% signal quality on a 10 foot. Definitely a watchable signal if you like SD. lol

Reactions: mikekohl
Here in central Canada I get the 4057 mux at about 35-40% signal quality on a 10 foot. Definitely a watchable signal if you like SD. lol
Thank you for that update---it gives me hope that once I revive a 10 foot Winegard Pinnacle Perf, it will be reliable. Just for grins I might spin an existing 7.5 foot Paraclipse Hydro over there to see if it works at all.

If I want HD from Anchorage, there is the KTUU-NBC app available in high def on Roku.
Operated by Gray Television, which also has the NBC/CW affiliates in Madison, WI, my home market.
As a former Alaska resident, it would be nice to be able to see the ARCS channel and keep up on other news. Noticed that they also have added a number of radio stations that were not on the original public radio offering. Local radio in those places can be very different and quite entertaining.

Mike, just a quick question for old times sake. Is Ralf still uplinking? always wondered after the show went off.
Ralf moved his operation from New Orleans down to the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, and is no longer set up as before. He did well when New Orleans was the center of many news stories such as the last big oil spill, but the market for operating an independent drop in facility for people to host news conferences has collapsed. What he did pre 2016 is no longer economically viable.

We were talking about getting things back on the air as far back as 5 years ago, and times have moved on. The satellite industry as we knew it has disappeared, and radical changes to the C-band spectrum as well as a lack of manufacturers making dishes will make it very difficult to revive that part of the FTA market, mostly due to economic issues. Many channels have switched from satellite to IP transmission, and it is simply much less costly to upgrade or start a new network via IP. The hardware costs (Roku and other smart TV connected devices) are extremely cheap, and you do not have the cost and maintenance of a dish system. There are a few of us hard core people left, but few potential new customers to revive an old industry. That leaves very little to talk about on the air, and very few available products to sell. It wouldn't be economical to do it via satellite, so we could consider various internet delivery ideas that could include podcasting. I have had a day job outside of the industry for over five years, so have very little time to do what we did before. None of us are getting any younger, so it is unlikely that this can come back together in the very near future.

Reactions: Comptech
Thank you Mike. I understand that, was more curious if he was alive and well. As a satellite enthusiast and a old 100 ton boat captain aka Merchant Marine I always liked Ralf and thought he was the same. He just put off the old boat captain image.

Thank you Mike. I understand that, was more curious if he was alive and well. As a satellite enthusiast and a old 100 ton boat captain aka Merchant Marine I always liked Ralf and thought he was the same. He just put off the old boat captain image.
I spoke with Ralf earlier in the year...he has been hanging in there...have not checked since the last few weather events, so will try to connect with him in the next few days.

Cool tell him I said hello if you do. He might remember me. Also can't believe the timing when you scored those C-band dishes and stored them in Port St. Lucie a year after I moved from there. Oh well such is life, could have sold a few for you, but like usual a day late and a dollar short. Glad you are doing well keep up the knowledge and great service you have provided to all of us.

Reactions: Elsguy
This is what it looks like in Eagle River, Alaska on one of the 15 meter dishes. 21 db C/N.

Attachments

• 20210925_160442.jpg
    20210925_160442.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 158
Do you know how come FOX and ABC are not part of ARCS anymore ? Why just CBS and NBC?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I wonder if the footprint has changed any? A couple of guys in Central Mexico near Monterrey are locking the ARCS signal. Weak but stable.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1660150320170.jpg
    FB_IMG_1660150320170.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 100
  • FB_IMG_1660150325446.jpg
    FB_IMG_1660150325446.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 92