Any Plans for TBSHD on D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scotsmanron

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Florida
I know that if I lived a couple of hours further north that this wouldn't be a problem but....well, if frogs had wings.

I want to see the Braves in HD, so if anyone has heard anything that would be great news. Both myself and the SO are big time Bravos fans.:)

If you subscribe to the baseball package and HD service some of the games will be in HD. Other than that nothing on the horizon for at least a year.

scotsmanron said:
Is there anyway to tell before subscribing which of the games are HD?

Highly unlikely that there will be any way of knowing ahead of time..They came out with a schedule of HD baseball games last year when they felt like it, but it was not adhered to at all, and towards the end of the season there was no schedule, period..

AFAIK, there has not even been an announcment that HD baseball games will be shown at all this year..I would say theres a good chance though..

Last year they showed some national HD games form different RSN's..Hopefully they will this year as well, but I wouldnt say its guaranteed at all when you considers D*'s spotty HD sports history..

That being the case, what IS the prognosis for more HD sports, especially the superstations? I'm a Braves fan, but WGN is also there.

Obviously I'm new at this and I'm just trying to find out when new stations of any type are going HD on DTV. :hungry:

I wasn't aware there was a TBS HD! Who currently carries it??

scotsmanron said:
I know that if I lived a couple of hours further north that this wouldn't be a problem but....well, if frogs had wings.
I want to see the Braves in HD, so if anyone has heard anything that would be great news. Both myself and the SO are big time Bravos fans.:)

Fgsilva said:
I wasn't aware there was a TBS HD! Who currently carries it??

DISH network has it..... We are waiting for it.

Of course you will see good and bad info about the network, just like any other network.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
DISH network has it..... We are waiting for it.
Of course you will see good and bad info about the network, just like any other network.
Jimbo
Dish Doesnt Carry TBS HD where did you get this info? I have searced through all of bobs and hokies uplink info and not once is it listed that TBS is carried in HD.

Jimbos said:
DISH network has it..... We are waiting for it. Of course you will see good and bad info about the network, just like any other network. Jimbo

Do you mean TNT-HD ? and yes the only thing worth watching is originals in HD and NBA. So once NBA season is done, so is the worth of TNT-HD. I would still like to have it, because I like the NBA. Don't get all geeked up, once you remove (from the current broadcasting list below) what DirecTV already have on HD and remove what they can't get because they are owned/exclusive to cable, then there is a lot to get worked up about yet.

Current HD Broadcasters

Cinemax HD (no 1st run movies, or original series)
Comcast SportsNet (cable owned/excl right?)
Discovery HD Theater (have)
ESPN HD (have)
ESPN2 HD (have)
Food Network HD (why? are you kidding)
Fox HD (coming)
HGTV HD (not as bad as FoodTV, but why? are you kidding)
HBO HDTV (have, 1st runs and original series)
HDNet (have)
HDNet Movies (have)
INHD 1/2 (cable owned/excl)
The Movie Channel HD (no 1st run movies or original series)
MSG Network (cable owned/excl right?)
Mtv-HD (not as bad as FoodTV, but why? are you kidding? they do have some originals but none HD worthy)
National Geographic Channel HD (not as bad as FoodTV, but why? are you kidding)
NBA HD (have some, need the full NBA schedule that's not on other outlets)
NFL HD (have)
OLN HD (ok, this is a decent maybe)
Showtime HDTV (have, 1st runs and original series)
Starz HD (ok, this is a decent maybe)
TNT-HD (ok, this is a decent maybe thanks to NBA HD, some originals)
Universal HD (have)
Voom HD package (a few maybes in the pack, but too many reruns and no 1st runs)
WealthTV HD (why? are you kidding)

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Do you mean TNT-HD ? and yes the only thing worth watching is originals in HD and NBA. So once NBA season is done, so is the worth of TNT-HD. I would still like to have it, because I like the NBA.
Im going to have to disagree with you on that. I have found that lately alot of TNT's movies arent in strechovision. Sure Charmed and Law and Order still are but I found about 75% of thier movies lately arent.

I didn't say anything about their broadcast method, just that they constantly feature rehashed reruns I have seen elsewhere 100 times before and can still see. Its 1st runs, originals, sports, and other live events that should be the 1st tickets to true HD and will further the success or value/interest. THEN after that we can worry about turning the rehashed into HD.

When are the FOX HD channels going to be ready? That's what I am interested in. I do not believe we have NFL Network HD. Every once in a while, not consistantly, we get the Game of thw Week in HD. TNT, Starz, TheMovieChannel, Cinemax, NFL, some VOOM. I think Directv will get it done for InHD1 AND 2. They are doing OLN's NHL game in HD, so at least they are talking. Maybe the FOX HD channels for them and InHD1 and 2 for us.

The NFL Network is a less than part-time offering 99% of fans could care less about. We do have the NFL-HD (as in the ST HD)

After reading all of this I'm beginning to regret upgrading to HD. I mean WHY? One of the things that I wanted was TBS and DTV is all hype, or so it appears. I don't do Sunday ticket. To me it looks like I'll have the capability with nothing much to see. :( :confused:

Did you do any research on content beforehand? There isn't much more HD content out and there is no TBS-HD anywhere yet.

charper1 said:
Did you do any research on content beforehand? There isn't much more HD content out and there is no TBS-HD anywhere yet.

Yes, there is...in Atlanta. I think they only do Braves games in HD though. I've seen the highlights on Sportscenter.

I am not counting any of the LOCALS and TBS in ATL is considered a LOCAL. The DirecTV discussion is about retransmission and is there any TBS-HD outside of the ATL metro / GA area?

charper1 said:

Not as much as I should have. My SO wanted to move to flat screen TVs, it was my idea at that point to go HD. At least it isn't going to cost me anything to do this. Actually it will be a little less since I dropped the DVRs till the new one comes out.

I would really like to know what the motivation is for not rolling out the HD channels as soon as they are available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.