Any software & tools that are needed before install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wms-Stargate

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
East Coast
First off, name is billy. I have been reading this site for a few days now trying to figure things out. I really like the site and figured real quick that i am going to need some advise. So I hope I am in the right section for a bunch of random questions.

Hear we go...
I am looking to supplement my OTA as i cut the cable so to speak. I all ready have a new Winegard DS-2076 dish to throw at this (new hobby???) and a box of RG6 Coax. I live out in the country on 1 1/3 acres. Last summer they cut 30 acres of trees down across the street from me. Based on the suns movement I can only assume this is due south of me. So it looks like I might be in a good spot to try this FTA thing out.

I am wondering about where to place my dish and or dishes when I get some more and stuff like that. So the first question that come to mind is what kind of software would really help me out? Then about the different tools/devices I could buy to help with my new found hobby.

My first real crazy question...

Is there a way to see the birds are when I am outside signal wise? I mean how do you do that?

Thanks

Go to dishpointer.com and enter in your address. Once the map loads up, you can drag the 'x' to the exact spot you're thinking of placing the dish.Then select various Satellites on the list to see where they are located in the sky.It also has an option that shows high the clearance needs to be at whatever distance.

There are also some apps that work on smart phones as well. You hold up your phone and it shows where the Satellite Arc is on your camera viewer. I would go with the Dishpointer above, first.

Hiya, welcome aboard. :bday

I would also suggest you try and keep the dish within a 1-2 hundred foot run from the house. The further the run, the more potential for problems.

As previously mentioned, Dishpointer.com is an outstanding resource to find the where is the best place to put the dish.

Also, remember, besides, coax, you need at least 2 shielded wires and two additional power wires for the actuator and more if your doing commercial LNBFs that need polarity switching wires. I also suggest 2 coax lines rather than one.

Also, one other thing to consider is the size of your dish. The Winegard DS-2076 is a 76cm dish. I would suggest you consider upgrading to a larger dish, at least 90cm (1.0 to 1.2m is better) for FTA. You should be able to pick up *some things* on the 76cm, but maybe not everything you want.

I didn't catch that your going for a small KU dish. If so, you don't need those shielded wires or actuator power wires..

Thanks to all of you for the info. Based on some of your posts I spent the better part of the day playing with dishpointer. Then I ended up in the google playstore loading up all the apps I could find to try and help me out as well. So far it doesn't look to good placing a dish real close to the house. I hope I am wrong and able to sneak one in close to the house. If not I have a hill at the back of the property Im pretty sure will work. Unfortunately that's about a football field and 1/2 from the house. Maybe they make some sort of booster for that distance? On another note their is a direct tv dish on top of my shed that worked real good once upon a time. That shed is right outside the back window is pointed pretty high in the sky. I wonder how many birds are close to the direct tv birds? Looks like I have my work cut out for me. It's been a fun day of learning that's for-sure. I will try to make sense out of those droid apps tomorrow. Thanks for the info... Bill

Billy,
I would look into a larger dish, like maybe 90cm. Three are some good deals on Ebay or Amazon for this size. Even some combo deals with receiver and LNBF. If you find the hobby interesting you can add more dishes, a motor, a C-band dish (bud)... etc.
VA should have your south satellite at around 85W or 87W, so 91 to 103 will likely be accessible as well depending on what might be in the way. If you have your satellite app in your smartphone or tablet running, check if you can see these satellites. There is more activity on the satellites west of you, like 91W(G17), 97W(G19), 103W(SES3), and 121W(AMC21); the latter might be too far to the west. These are some of the more desirable Ku birds, but there is much more than just these. Finding satellites will be a challenge if you have not done this before, but you'll get really good at it after setting up several dishes. :). Are you thinking of a receiver already?

A roof can be a difficult place to set up a FTA dish. Nice to start out on the ground, even if you set the dish up temporarily, maybe mounting it to a tree stump, putting in a nice solid post, or a south-facing building wall... anything that is stable and won't move without great effort... as you don't want the wind blowing it over etc. I've used railroad ties partially buried with a pallet bolted to them to hold a 1.2m dish... you can be creative!

And yea... a box of (good) RG6 is a good investment if you think you are really going to get into this hobby! :)

Reactions: phlatwound
Look just to the left of your directv with your new dish. that is 97w. it is the hot bird of fta.

Hi guys I have some more questions.

1) Does anyone know how to take pictures with a compass in them? So you would know what direction the picture was take at. All I have are 3 different kind androids. I think this might help me in explaining my setup.

2) I found a post somewhere on here about a certain manufacture that can't be talked about. Is their other manufactures of receivers that are forbiden as well?

3) I have a bunch of pictures of my property. You know where all the trees are at and such. It would probably be best if I uploaded them to one of my websites. Then linked you guys to where the pictures are at. Now is that against the rules?

4) All these darn apps for the bird finders are confusing. Is their one or two specific apps that a lot of you use. That way I could ask questions? What about some sort bubble level app so I can get the proper alignment. Do you guys use any kind of software for that?

5) Can I hook multiple dishes up to one receiver?

6) What about my OTA how does that hook in to the system?

7) PVR, I have never had this feature either. However i do have a couple sata usb external drives. They are pretty fast. how does that work?

8) Why do I see SCART connectors on the receivers on eBay? I see a lot of US buyers buying them for some reason.

Now I am in no rush! I want to get this right the first time. Looks like I made a mistake tho in buying the smaller dish based on what you guys are saying. However it's too late now. So I am going to install that dish and hope for any channels just to get my feet wet. I will buy a bigger dish and I am on the lookout for those big dishes.

So I still need to buy a receiver and a lnb. I haven't made up my mind but I do like to shop eBay the most. Can you recommend some of the more affordable ones on the bay? I just want to get my feet wet at the moment. I am willing to buy multiples of this stuff in time. Right now just baby steps thou getting one going.

Thank you guys for all the help so far. I am in for the long haul.

Best
Bill

Hi guys I have some more questions.

1) Does anyone know how to take pictures with a compass in them? So you would know what direction the picture was take at. All I have are 3 different kind androids. I think this might help me in explaining my setup.

2) I found a post somewhere on here about a certain manufacture that can't be talked about. Is their other manufactures of receivers that are forbiden as well?

3) I have a bunch of pictures of my property. You know where all the trees are at and such. It would probably be best if I uploaded them to one of my websites. Then linked you guys to where the pictures are at. Now is that against the rules?

4) All these darn apps for the bird finders are confusing. Is their one or two specific apps that a lot of you use. That way I could ask questions? What about some sort bubble level app so I can get the proper alignment. Do you guys use any kind of software for that?

5) Can I hook multiple dishes up to one receiver?

6) What about my OTA how does that hook in to the system?

7) PVR, I have never had this feature either. However i do have a couple sata usb external drives. They are pretty fast. how does that work?

8) Why do I see SCART connectors on the receivers on eBay? I see a lot of US buyers buying them for some reason.

Now I am in no rush! I want to get this right the first time. Looks like I made a mistake tho in buying the smaller dish based on what you guys are saying. However it's too late now. So I am going to install that dish and hope for any channels just to get my feet wet. I will buy a bigger dish and I am on the lookout for those big dishes.

So I still need to buy a receiver and a lnb. I haven't made up my mind but I do like to shop eBay the most. Can you recommend some of the more affordable ones on the bay? I just want to get my feet wet at the moment. I am willing to buy multiples of this stuff in time. Right now just baby steps thou getting one going.

Thank you guys for all the help so far. I am in for the long haul.

Best
Bill

I might be able to help with the non-rule-related questions

1: it'd be some app besides the regular camera. Here's a screenshot I took while using Dispointer (on iOS, but should work the same in Android)
IMG_0667.PNG

5: yes, check http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/switch-setups-simplified.134124/ It can be really simple, or get really complicated. Adding a second receiver adds more complexity

6: It's best to keep OTA and FTA on their own wiring. There are combiners and splitters that can let the two share wiring, but might introduce some signal loss. There is at least one receiver with both satellite and ATSC in (Linkbox 9000i Local)

7: Pretty simple: plug it in, turn it on, schedule a recording (or hit record, then type in how long of a recording you'd like). Some recordings can be small, some quite large.

8: They're cheap, and the buyers might be using HDMI out or a SCART adapter

2. The freesat stuff is not up for any support here. They are one of the cheapest receivers out there.
Look for the X2 stuff. It is about 15 dollars more and does not cause a moral conflict.

4. use a level to set your pole or whatever you are using. This is one of the biggest things you can do. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS DEAD PLUM.
Most dishes will have a degree mark so you know where you are.

5. Yes and it is not that hard. Loads of cheap powered switches. znwell 4x8.

6. Kitty nailed it. You can use a single line with a diplexer and a switch or 2 diplexers.

I use these on KU.
Work fine. Good for a switch or running 2 receivers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-LOTS-2-P...273869?hash=item4180a6908d:g:KLoAAOxyBotTa7ad

Biggest thing is get your dish up and running. Once you get an idea of how it works you can do more.

Thank you to all who have answered my questions. I am not ignoring any of you that have helped me. I will get a reply to everyone as soon as I clear off my plate a little. I've been in the middle of upgrading two prestashop sites to currant and two servers that need to be re-rolled with php 5.6

Today was a good day... We have now been blessed with a Unimesh for Christmas. The gentleman we got it from couldn't have been more nice. I tell ya the guys from the WWII & the Korea era have a level of class about them. It's really hard to put your finger on it but i'm sure you guys know what i'm talking about. My best friend who is a pilot calls my dad and his dad real men not candy a..'s as they were from the WWII era as well. We are loosing these guys so fast now. Not too many of these vets left now. It's a privileged just to sit a shoot the hay with them now.

Trust me I love all our vets from all the different era's. However the guys from ww2 really get to me...

Attachments

• DSCN6501.JPG
    DSCN6501.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.