Any yearly commitments for tuner swap ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rhodemaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rhode Island
I'm thinking of swapping out my SD box for a Tivo/DVR. I'll be buying used on eBay or elsewhere and will just be swapping out the SD box. Will D* require a year commitment to get a card and activate the replacement? I've dug thru the web site but can't find any info on this. Thought I ask before I make a call. Thankx in advance. :)

When I got a new receiver I had to do the one year extra thing. Was not under contract for about 5 years before that. That was this time last year.

Well, I was going to say when you call it in, tell them that you got it from the manufacturer as a replacement for a technical problem, but since it's going from STB to TiVO, that may not work. Worth a shot though. Usually any replacements automatically carry a 1 year agreement.

Beavis said:
Well, I was going to say when you call it in, tell them that you got it from the manufacturer as a replacement for a technical problem, but since it's going from STB to TiVO, that may not work.

I was thinking along the same lines. I agree the change in equipment type makes it more difficult to use the malfunctioning tuner story.

I bought a HD box from E-Bay with no card. I called and asked to talk to the card department (they have a seperate department for the acess cards) and they overnited me a card for $20 Fedex. I told them I bought a used box and they do ask for the serial number to make sure it is not under contact or stolen. But all in all, I had a new card the next day and then just had to call an automated activation number and I was up and watching in no time.

I think its very stupid having to sign a new one year contract everytime you add or swap a reciever out. Just a way for them to make more money. Dish Network does not require this unless you get a special deal/discount on one of their recievers.

Technically you are getting a discount. (The reason for the $150 early termination fee)

A standard SD Tivo 80 hours (Non-D*) Costs $299 (from best buy.com)
A D* SD Tivo 80 hours costs $99.

Also consider that they are including an install in the price you pay.

Erm, just tell the CSR that you do not agree to the 1yr commit.

That can't "Force" the 1 year on you if you don't agree to it on activation... Granted, some CSRs are thick headed and don't read the script so they don't remember that part... But it's plain as day in the script...

~

I activated a DirecTivo receiver (purchased from eBay) to my DirecTV account and it did not require an additional 1-year committment. I did, have to swap the access card for a new one (no charge, and I got it the next day!).

If you're under a committment for your existing receiver, then you'll still need to honor it (the agreement says you will keep the receiver activated). But you can add the Tivo receiver for an extra $5 (plus $5 for the Tivo service if you don't have it already).

I think there will be some kind of year commitment for swapping out the Receivers. I want to know what they are going to do for me ....I have it built into my tv...hard to swap out a tv.

If you pay retail for a product or get it from ebay (especially a used reciever) I dont see why one would have to sign a one year contract. This is one reason why I just stick with Dish Network. Dont want to sign a contract everytime I turn around. What does one have to do activate a bunch of recievers on their account ahead of time to avoid getting a new one year contract everytime they want to add a reciever to the account? If you are already under a one year contract do they make you extend it for another year or just say that a new one year contract starts?

Stargazer said:
If you are already under a one year contract do they make you extend it for another year or just say that a new one year contract starts?

If you take them up on one of their promotional deals (HD upgrade / Tivo upgrade) that you purchase thru them, then a 1 year commitment is required. A new 1 year term from the date you install/activate the new equipment. If you buy used and swap out on your own I believe you can refuse when they ask you to commit for the year. That's my plan, I'll kindly say no or I won't swap it out. Thankx to all that posted. :bow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)