Anybody else noticed an increase in Upgrade work orders?

Dr.Pepper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Insanityland
We've seen a bunch of them in my area and almost every one of them has been because the customer has called in with with some kind of technical issue, ranging from tv being on the wrong channel/input to 015 signal loss.

The Dish CSRs have told them that a tech will have to not only come out to fix the problem but also MUST upgrade their MPEG2 receivers to VIP or Hopper at the same time.

I've had several of these customers tell me that the CSR told them that it had to be done or else they would lose their local channels in a few months, but I've not seen nor heard anything from either Dish or Satellite Guys to confirm this.

And, it's not like Dish is scamming them into a new contract because they only have to sign a service agreement when the job is completed.

And in the notes, it doesn't appear that Dish is charging for the upgrade so they're basically giving away the VIP receivers.

Seriously, the other day, the cust called in with no picture on tv2 (which ended up being bad cable that I replaced). They sent me out there to fix the problem AND replace her two 625 and one 322 with two 722k, two 211z, and a DPP 44 switch ( due to the stupid role of not using 222k receivers). At no charge to the customer.

Just sorta curious.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they didn't start this sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think it's been known that Dish is trying to get more customers to upgrade their equipment to HD.

And that is true. We've known that a lot of areas are now only MPEG4 markets where NCs and upgrades required MPEG4 equipment. No more MPEG2 NCs or upgrades.

But it appears that maybe Dish didn't get the message out that they were going to schedule an upgrade every chance they got whenever a MPEG2 customer called in, no matter what the reason.

Our mgmt. is having to scramble to get enough 211 receivers because it caught them by surprise.

And are you only getting ViP211Zs?

There are a bunch of markets that are moving to 100 percent eastern arc. Transitions started last quarter and continuing through 2014. So, any mpeg2 boxes in those markets must be upgraded.

And, of course, they can move one or more WA local markets to MPEG-4, gradually replacing equipment instead of having one very busy year converting all at once.

That's funny......I'm in the process of upgrading for ongoing 722 issues....I think. Waiting to hear back from DIRT now. Thanks very much for this interesting post.

And, btw, I started this thread on my smart phone and thought it was going into the "Installer Zone", in case one of the mods wants to move it.

They are doing this because on the Western Arc they want to convert all SD channels to 8PSK format which will open up a lot of space. There are so many people out there with old equipment that does not support 8PSK. (Which actually shows how well made those early receivers were, that they are still running today!)

From 8PSK they will then go to MPEG4 but that is still a few years away.

You will have a lot of upgrades through the end of the month. :)

First, not surprised at all. Second, I have seen a smattering of posts talking about the CSR telling them they will lose channels if no upgrade. It does seem like DISH is now making a concerted effort to get everyone to 8PSK and MPEG-4.

They are doing this because on the Western Arc they want to convert all SD channels to 8PSK format which will open up a lot of space. There are so many people out there with old equipment that does not support 8PSK. (Which actually shows how well made those early receivers were, that they are still running today!)

From 8PSK they will then go to MPEG4 but that is still a few years away.

You will have a lot of upgrades through the end of the month. :)

And that's good.

And if Dish continues this, we'll be busy for a while to come.

So, instead of making 2 jumps from non-8PSK to 8PSK to MPEG4 (ex., 301 to 311 to 211) sounds like Dish wants to make one permanent jump to MPEG4 (ex., 301/311 to 211).

Dr.Pepper, where is "Insanityland"?

They are doing this because on the Western Arc they want to convert all SD channels to 8PSK format which will open up a lot of space... From 8PSK they will then go to MPEG4 but that is still a few years away.

Yeah, but Dr.Pepper talked about replacing two 625s and one 322 (all of which are 8PSK receivers) with VIP receivers. So it sure looks as though Dish is giving up on the 2-stage process and going full-tilt to MPEG4. I say, "Bring it on!"

I did a Dish upgrade for a customer last week from a 301 to a 625. Western arc SD locals, eastern arc HD locals. He didn't want a 722K because HD isn't free for life anymore.

I'd like to see the flex24's start to migrate to mpeg4 as well. It's kind of odd. I had one a couple weeks ago that was a 922 for the standard $79 flex activation, and yesterday had a customer that paid $350 up front for a 322/311. We have hd locals on both arcs so the HD equipment gives us a 2nd option when we can't hit the WA.

I did a Dish upgrade for a customer last week from a 301 to a 625. Western arc SD locals, eastern arc HD locals. He didn't want a 722K because HD isn't free for life anymore.

I did an upgrade on the 5th (311 to a 211k) and was surprised to find that the customer was still able to sign up for "HD Free for Life" while enrolling in autopay online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)