Anybody else watching NHK World HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, I have had my BUD parked on 58W and my AZbox locked onto the NHK World HD transponder for two weeks now. Stunning images and videos! It sure has been a sad and disturbing disaster with perhaps the most troubling being the darn nuclear power plant. I sure wish they could get it under control but it sure does not look good. Perhaps it is time to round up the biggest bulldozers and earth moving equipment, strap on some remote controllers and bury the darn plant! In hind sight one has to question why a nuclear power plant would be built with only electric controls and pump motors, seems to me some manual valves and some gas powered pumps might have been able to stop the disaster. Got to run, DC

It's a mess, and the added problem of the nuke plant is one that shouldn't have been added to the mix. All planning for a problem apparently assumed the backup systems aren't also knocked out. I've always thought there should always be manual back up for technology dependent back up. Here's to hoping it doesn't get any uglier, before it gets better.

DC,

The first week NHK was all over the place, I had been watching it on one of ABC's extra channels till a few days ago it dropped off. Can you post freq/pol/SR for your find on 58w?

Hi, I'm not at the receiver now but NHK is listed on Lyngsat on Intelsat 9. There is a SD version too. Hope this helps, DC

Normally they have english announcers and just a few shows are acctually translations since this is the NHK World service most of the shows are originated in english. These days they are parsing a lot of feeds or TV coverage from local japanesse TV stations from the tsunami striken area therefore the need of translating all that material instead of creating new english only content specially for NHK World. Normal news shows are still broadcast as before with english announcers but the rest of the time they have to fill the old regular programming with this disaster-related local content and translate it on the fly. Kudos for them in my opinion for keeping their audience updated as best as they possibly can.

I do not remember that CNN was distributed in the clear or open for anyone to be able to keep updated about the Katrina hurricane situation not only via its main feed via satellite but also via its vast network of cable and satellite distribution network, please someone correct me if I am wrong, but at least with the canadian operators CNN kept being a premium service not included in the basic package therefore if you were not subscribed to it you were not able to follow its 24h coverage. In the case of this disaster in Japan , NHK has not only opened its normally encrypted premium service, NHK Premium, but also has authorized the pay tv providers to open its signal on their services , heck even the greedy Canadian Rogers TV has it open for all its digital customers to watch it.

NHK has not only opened its normally encrypted premium service, NHK Premium, but also has authorized the pay tv providers to open its signal on their services , heck even the greedy Canadian Rogers TV has it open for all its digital customers to watch it.

How about Charlie? Did he open it up for us too?

Silent? No. Their normal programming is in English, with English speaking hosts. But during this catastrophe, they've been also carrying locally broadcast stories, adding English translations. On the Japanese channels, it's Japanese. Maybe a translation(?)

i was watching my fta big dish that friday morning and for some reason tuned into NHK World. I watched their live helicopter footage of the tsunami. I was stunned to see cars frantically trying to escape the wall of seawater. so tragic. i have tuned back in frequently since to watch NHK's excellent coverage.

I think NHK Premium (it even has a different logo) is the one that carries most programming in Japanese and it functions kind of a repeater of NHK Tokyo for instance available OTA. the normally ITC NHK world is kind of the international version that does not carry for instance sopa operas or sporst events carried by NHK via OTA back in Japan. For that you have to subscribe to NHK premium.

So the Japanese audio track on NHK World most of the time has audio in english depending on the programming , if it was originally produced in Japanese then you get both languages on NHK World.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)