Anyone dropped Platinum from their HD & Platinum and kept "HD for Life?"

I just dropped the Platinum HD from Dish Latino Max, and:

- My Account web page went through the whole change, including giving me before and after billing, BUT after the change, the web page still says Platinum is part of my programming, BUT

- Nevertheless my Platinum channels vanished from my Guide (not even in red).

- Every channel that is not also in SD vanished, except for HD-Net which is still there :D (I think this is due to an agreement with Mark Cuban back a few months ago.)

- As specified in the literature and threads, Palladia and HDNetMovies are now in Platinum, and vanished.

- Usually billing changes appear in the Account web page overnight, so I expect to see the change tomorrow.

- You will be charged $5 downgrade fee.

Each guy needs to evaluate the Platinum channels, which do make a good movie package if you want more movies on your Dish receiver, but I was happy to save the $10 a month.

PS I am still grandfathered in the FSCPlus (formerly Setanta) for $10 deal for Latino or International subscribers, so I am keeping it through the summer, to make sure that I don't have it go up to $15 when I want it again in August...

Thanks for the information.

Im not able to login an hold times are too long so Ill just wait it out and see.

I wasn't able to logon and was told to use my username instead of email address. So if you remember the user name you entered when signing up for your online account, try that.

Did it today. Went on this morning and saw I had free HD for life plus platinum for $10, dropped platinum and didn't have to pay $99 or commit. This is nice...almost offsets those receiver fee increases.

ok - now i'm thoroughly confused - i went online and don't have 'free' for anything! is this just for certain customers? i see i can do one of the two options but it appears some are getting 'grandfahtered' in - what exactly is the prerequisite for this - to be grandfathered in?

ok - now i'm thoroughly confused - i went online and don't have 'free' for anything! is this just for certain customers? i see i can do one of the two options but it appears some are getting 'grandfahtered' in - what exactly is the prerequisite for this - to be grandfathered in?

The prerequisite was having a subscription to the "HD & Platinum" package, which then changed today to HD Free package for $0.00 and HD Platinum package for $10.00.

There is a picture earlier in the thread of what this would look like at:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...d-platinum-their-hd-platinum.html#post2222592

I just did a chat and dropped Platinum and went from Top 200 to Top 250 (same price). I will watch more from the 250 than I ever did from Platinum.:)

The prerequisite was having a subscription to the "HD & Platinum" package, which then changed today to HD Free package for $0.00 and HD Platinum package for $10.00.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...d-platinum-their-hd-platinum.html#post2222592

thanks - i have the following what appears to qualify:
HD 250 10.00
Multi Sport 5.99
HD Platinum 10.00
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
3 Premium Package 31.00
America's Top 250 With Locals 62.99
DVR Service 6.00
HD Solo Receiver 7.00
$ 138.98

but i don't see what is in the screenshot on the page you linked above on my account. i see hd for life- but it says for either $99 or 24 mo commitment.

Just dropped platinum HD. I had it before all the changes.

Basic Programming:
America's Top 250 $64.99
Premiums Channels:
HBO & Sho $24.00
Cinemax 1 Year Penny Offer
A La Carte and Add-ons:
HD 250 Free $0.00
Fox Sports Southwest $0.00

I am getting a credit for HBO & SHO. I also have a $14 2nd receiver fee and a $6 DVR fee and have a loyalty credit of $10 (6 of 12) and receiver credit of $5 (4 of 6) as of my last bill.

kstuart,

It looks like the HD free does not contain Platinum programming, the HD free is any of the metal packages? Is that why the Dish site offers two links, one for $10.00 and one free?

kstuart,

It looks like the HD free does not contain Platinum programming, the HD free is any of the metal packages? Is that why the Dish site offers two links, one for $10.00 and one free?

HD Free is the HD version of every SD channel in your subscription (if that channel is carried by Dish in HD), plus also HD-Net.

HD Platinum is all the HD channels that have no SD equivalent.

thanks - i have the following what appears to qualify:
HD 250 10.00
Multi Sport 5.99
HD Platinum 10.00
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
3 Premium Package 31.00
America's Top 250 With Locals 62.99
DVR Service 6.00
HD Solo Receiver 7.00
$ 138.98

but i don't see what is in the screenshot on the page you linked above on my account. i see hd for life- but it says for either $99 or 24 mo commitment.

It looks like you did not get grandfathered, probably because you had separate "HD" and "Platinum" packages, rather than "HD&Platinum" package, because you did not read this site regularly, and thus missed out on saving $10 a month by changing to the "HD&Platinum" package. Here is the info on grandfathering:

Existing Customer Accounts Already Subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” Add-on Before June 3, 2010 – Existing customers who were subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010, will be automatically grandfathered into “HD Free for Life” without being required to enter into a 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment OR pay the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee. These customers will experience no price change due to their participation in this offer; they will receive “HD Free for Life” for the life of their account and will be charged for the $10/mo. HDPlatinum add-on package.

Last edited:
HD Free is the HD version of every SD channel in your subscription (if that channel is carried by Dish in HD), plus also HD-Net.

HD Platinum is all the HD channels that have no SD equivalent.

Summarizing from your info plus what is at site, looks like the AT 250 is separately billed. If you want additional HD the choice is the extra $10.00 option. Correctly viewed?

It looks like you did not get grandfathered, probably because you had separate "HD" and "Platinum" packages, rather than "HD&Platinum" package, because you did not read this site regularly, and thus missed out on saving $10 a month by changing to the "HD&Platinum" package. Here is the info on grandfathering:
I would call Dish, I have to believe that cases like "eddieras" deserve more consideration for free HD for life. Otherwise, it would make absolutely no sense, especially if eddieras is paying $20 a month for HD, Platinum. Sounds like a silly technicality :D :D

thanks guys - i'm going to give them a call but it seems like they're very rigid! i appreciate the help here.

I dropped Platinum today via a chat... Had to pay the $5 fee for down/sidegrade.

My bill is only 39.99 now- Top 120HD/Locals/722K with OTA Tuner. That can't be beat. With my Club Dish Credits, I will pay 24.99 for the next 2 months and then 34.99 for the next 3, then back to full price.

Guess I will have to find some more people to refer...

Thanks that was it. I wonder why they changed.

I'm sure it will go back. Dish is apparently making some backend improvements, but I suppose the test their websites as well as they test their DVR software....

Probably some guy in the back of the room saying this.

"Hey don't worry about testing it... Spool it out. Make the webserver active. We'll figure it out next week":)

I would call Dish, I have to believe that cases like "eddieras" deserve more consideration for free HD for life. Otherwise, it would make absolutely no sense, especially if eddieras is paying $20 a month for HD, Platinum. Sounds like a silly technicality :D :D

i just called and they told me i need to either pay the $99 or provide the 24 month commitment. i googled the blurb kstuart quoted about 'existing customers' being grandfathered, but can't find a source from Dish - what i found was all second hand. anyone have a link to a Dish source regarding the grandfathering? thanks!