Anyone have a Sirius "Replay" reveiver?

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
Anyone have a Sirius "Replay" receiver?

I am about to get Sirius and I am trying to decide on a receiver. The replay ones (starmate & sportster) look nice, but I was wondering if anyone has them and likes them.

I am considering the lifetime sub (for the life of the radio), so I want to get the latest and greatest as long as it is reasonably priced.

Otherwise, there is always the free one from ecost......

Suggestions?

Thanks.

the replay sportster would be my choice,its a nice looking unit and has a nice light blue screen,its a little larger than the other units but this gives you more reading room on the screen.you can also use this unit in a boom box,so it is very versatile.

I got the starmate replay last week. No complaints - came with the car kit, and I bought the home kit as well. Only possibly annoying issue might be the blue light - it's VERY bright at night. Depending where the radio is mounting, it can be darn near blinding.

Great radio, though...

I have the Sportser Replay and I like it alot.

I will agree that the blue light is bright and the auto dimmer takes WAY too long to kick it down. I forced mine to the 'full dim' setting and it has worked out nice like that. Don't even bother with the windshield mount. It's illegal in some states and with the blue light it's pretty annoying on the windsheild / dash at night.

I bought a Pavavise bracket for my new Montego I just bought and it has worked out quite nice. I had to modify the back of the cradle a little bit to clear but it wasnt' a big deal. I think you are supposed to add a swivel or something to the bracket but I wanted mine fixed and rigid.

As far as the usefullness of the Replay goes.... it's like watching Live TV on a Tivo, only you can't save anything. Change the chanel and the buffer is gone.

The biggest benefit is being able to rewind or pause when you're in drivethrough or maybe a parking garage. If you get a 30 second or so buffer built up you barely notice when you loose signal on the occational overpass too :). The other use is that my kids always want to hear the 'Crazy Frog' song 300 times when it comes on.

Shawn

Last edited:
""Don't even bother with the windshield mount. It's illegal in some states and with the blue light it's pretty annoying on the windsheild / dash at night.""

What states is this illegal in for hookup?

MikeI said:
""Don't even bother with the windshield mount. It's illegal in some states and with the blue light it's pretty annoying on the windsheild / dash at night.""

What states is this illegal in for hookup?
The state of California for one. Nothing can be windshield mounted... or side or rear window mounted for that matter.

I think the intent is anti-radar detector and you probably wouldn't be stopped for it... but I figured I'd throw that out there.

I just read than MN has a similar law against winshield mounts (on a radar detector site).

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn....so far, I can't get the signal at work and I can't even mount it in my truck. I'm about to throw this $300 thing away in the trash.

MikeI said:
Thanks, Shawn....so far, I can't get the signal at work and I can't even mount it in my truck. I'm about to throw this $300 thing away in the trash.
Where did you put the antenna? I originally just put mine on the dash so it wouldn't get messed with in my last car but I quickly found that the performance suffered.

Are you anywhere near an airport? I think the radar interfeers. Here in PHX I get no signal or maybe 1 bar of satellite signal anywhere near the PHX Sky Harbor airport. I do however get 100% signal from the terrestrial repeaters.

I'd try and get the antenna on the roof of the vehicle (even if just temporarily) and see if the signal improves.

My antenna is at the top of the rear window now and it works awesome there.

I bought my bracket here:
http://www.cellularmount.com/

They have good pics of the bracket installed in your make/model so you can decide it you like it.

Shawn

Last edited:
Shawn95GT said:
I just read than MN has a similar law against winshield mounts (on a radar detector site).

BULL!!!

I've lived in Minnesota all my life and have had radar detectors on the windshield for years with no issues...and yes I've been pulled over

Also have my Sirius to the windshield...the other day a cop saw it and asked me what it was (I was at a gas station). Showed him it and he thought Sirius "was pretty cool" :)

Iceberg said:
BULL!!!

I've lived in Minnesota all my life and have had radar detectors on the windshield for years with no issues...and yes I've been pulled over

Also have my Sirius to the windshield...the other day a cop saw it and asked me what it was (I was at a gas station). Showed him it and he thought Sirius "was pretty cool" :)
I didn't get stopped for mine while I was up there :). Nor in California for that matter.

Like I alluded to before - I think it's one of them laws that isn't really enforced unless you are being a complete moron to the officer.

This is the quote from the site (talking about mounting a radar detector in the center of the windshield):
In most cases, mounting the radar detector in this position will place it in the center of the windshield. This can cause a visual obstruction while you are driving. In Minnesota, it is illegal to mount anything to your windshield that may obstruct your vision (169.71: No person shall drive or operate any motor vehicle with objects suspended between the driver and windshield)

Obviously 'obstructing your vision' is subjective.

It look like they have the law in context. Here is it verbose:

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/169/71.html

Looks like windshield banners are illegal there too - lol.

Shawn

Mine works on the dash of the truck. Road trip to Yellowstone worked great in September. If it can't be suction cupped on the front window in the truck then it seems useless in the automobile. It works at home, but I've got internet and TV satellite for that. I wanted it for work (metal roof - no repeaters in site - but XM works good from those I've talked too in the building apparently) and the truck. I appear to be 0-1 at work and against the law in my truck. I'll probably sale it to someone.

C1787GJ said:
Shawn that is a nice install. I have a Ford Five Hundred, how did you wire that in so nice? Any hints would be appreciated.
Thanks! It was actually pretty easy.

First off, I ordered the bracket here:

http://www.cellularmount.com/order/search.asp?CarModel=500&CarMake=Ford

I ordered the Panavise one and since I placed my order they started offering the Bracketron one. The Bracketron one seems to locate the radio a little higher.

I wish I'd have taken pictures while I had the console apart but the instructions are pretty good. You just pull the trim ring off around the shifter, lift the top of the center console off back near the front of the arm-rest storage and then there are two screws that secure the trim that is around the stereo / climate control. You pull it all apart and remove two bolts next to the stock radio.

I bolted the Sportster cradle to the bracket before intalling it in the car. I had to grind the back of the cradle a little bit to make it work. The big problem was the lever that locks the radio in place. I NEVER use it but even with it ground down I still can if I wanted to.

The antenna wire needs to be connected before bolting the bracket to the cradle or you won't be able to plug it in.

One I got the bracket / cradle together, I set the bracket where it goes on the car and then replaced the two bolts next to the stock stereo, securing the bracket.

The wires run behind the cradle and go under the trim right below the bracket. I ran the antenna wire across the top of the back window, forward through the drip rail channel (it pops right off) and down the a-pilar under the windshield trim. I read that there was a grommet someplace that facilitated passing the antenna wire into the cabin but I couldn't find it. I ran my wire under the door seal and across the dash under the driver's side.

There is a TON of room under all them radio bezels and you can reach forward almost all the way to the firewall below the stereo.

For power I ran the lighter plug down the dash (behind the trim) and under the center console, and back to the arm-rest storage where it plugs into the hidden 12v plug there. When I find a switched 12v power source, I'll power-up the Sirius radio there. For now I manually turn it off and on.

The hardest part of the whole install was re-installing the trim that goes around the radio / climate control. It was finicky but finally popped into place.

The bracket's instructions are pretty good aside from not mentioning the two screws that hold the radio / climate control trim on :).

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts