Anyone having OTA reception problems with H3?

I am also having the pixelating issue and sound dropping out every 7-10 seconds or so on my OTA module.

With my 722k, I had PERFECT picture and sound, and I am using the same exact external antenna and cable. I got 99 and 100% on almost every OTA channel that I watched or recorded.

I will try the double scan as mentioned in this thread.

If that does not work, I will submit a ticket via DIRT about the issue (as soon as I do a search for DIRT to figure out what DIRT is!)

Question:

Can you record ONE or TWO OTA channels at the same time with the OTA USB Dongle? The one time I tried it, I think I was only able to record one OTA channel at a time (with the 722k I could record two OTA Channels at the same time). However, the one show I did record and watch via OTA was so bad, I just disconnected the OTA device.

It was like watching scrambled cable back in the 80's! (anyone remember doing that!)

One OTA recording at a time with the Hopper. The OTA dongle has one tuner. The old 722K add in module had 2 tuners, which was very nice. :)

I really have to wonder what beta testers do nowadays. Directv became notorious for ignoring input and releasing crap, now the company known for a decent track record releases something like this. I mean you sell a product to consumers (OTA adapter) and can't even get beta testers and your SW engineers to get it to work correctly?

I thought I had mine fixed when I spit the OTA to 3 TV's and the H3. My recordings were clear as watching them live and the audio was fine. Two days ago the problem returned, not quite as bad when the OTA was only connected to the H3 but bad enough to be aggravating. Maybe I need to split it a few more times ;)

I thought I had mine fixed when I spit the OTA to 3 TV's and the H3. My recordings were clear as watching them live and the audio was fine. Two days ago the problem returned, not quite as bad when the OTA was only connected to the H3 but bad enough to be aggravating. Maybe I need to split it a few more times ;)

Mine are all fine live, just some recordings act wonky. For example an episode of Arrow I watched was in two pieces like the H3 rebooted. 7pm to 7:07 was fine, nothing at all. 7:10pm to 7:59pm was a mess.

I use a dinky indoor flatwave antenna because we are close to the towers and I have 85-100 on everything. The same antenna has worked great with a HWS, H2000, Directv AM21 and Tivo Roamio...

Last night I checked on my 4kJ and everything was working fine for the first time. I will try again tonight, but fingers crossed, the issue has been solved.

I've noticed an annoying bug with H3 and OTA: I'm unable to delete or modify the scanned channel list. Put another way: The system won't let me delete any channels that are scanned.

Sorry for the confusion.
Dear Dish: we have TWO (2) issues here (I know you read these posts).
-
Multipath on live which is even worse when live on Joeys AND Recordings on strong non multi path stations
-
Just wanted to make sure you know that.

On the question of multipath, that seems wrong since live stuff is fine. Also didn't someone confirm the same recordings play fine on a HWS?

I've noticed an annoying bug with H3 and OTA: I'm unable to delete or modify the scanned channel list. Put another way: The system won't let me delete any channels that are scanned.
What annoys me more is that you cannot run any rescans to pick up channels you previously missed without getting the old scan list overwritten completely. If you had a low signal station you caught before but not another and you run the scan again at a different time, the first one might get deleted just because you found the other. Why does it have to overwrite everything, instead of just leaving what was already there and just add more. That is really dumb. My Samsung TV does the same crap.
Can't be all that hard to write the code to make this run like it did on the ViP receivers or even the old DTV Pal.

I did a side by side test this week. . . .
Antenna to my RCA Amp, then to a TWO WAY Spliter, one feed to the Hopper 3 and one some something else.

Test 1. Hopper 3 had Pixelation on station far way TV Did not

Test 2 Hopper 3 had Pizelation on station far way RCA OTA turner box did not.

Then Strange thing the Hopper 3 got better and stayed that way the rest of the night.
Then the next day it got worse in day time.
Got better at night again.

There is a pattern here. Some say it has to do with the SUN heating nearby buildings or trees making multipathing worse in the day time.
Is this even possible?
I still think Dish has a Multiplathing issue or bug in their new Hopper 3 software.

The first day I noticed my OTA recordings were bad after I thought I had it fixed, anything recorded during the day was bad but the night time shows were OK. Now it doesn't matter, both are bad.

I did a side by side test this week. . . .
Antenna to my RCA Amp, then to a TWO WAY Spliter, one feed to the Hopper 3 and one some something else.

Test 1. Hopper 3 had Pixelation on station far way TV Did not

Test 2 Hopper 3 had Pizelation on station far way RCA OTA turner box did not.

Then Strange thing the Hopper 3 got better and stayed that way the rest of the night.
Then the next day it got worse in day time.
Got better at night again.

There is a pattern here. Some say it has to do with the SUN heating nearby buildings or trees making multipathing worse in the day time.
Is this even possible?
I still think Dish has a Multiplathing issue or bug in their new Hopper 3 software.
Reception is always better after sunset because of the atmospheric conditions improving. Usually it is also better in winter than during summer, which also gets affected by the tree foliage that isn't present in winter.
So if you wanna get an accurate test, you should test in similar conditions from one day to another. As a rule of thumb, the colder the better.

There's something amiss in the H3 implementation of the OTA tuner...period. Mine, as well as numerous others, was rock solid with the HWS but now exhibits all the quirks expressed in this & the other threads. Switching to a new, still unboxed module had no improvement for me - it's in the H3, I only hope it's software so it can be fairly easily addressed.

Well I think from all of our testing and trying different work arounds we can tell that it is a bug in the software. Hopefully it is fixed with the next software update.

The OTA implementation on the H3 software as well as the DLNA feature is pretty buggy or mostly not working. The new software for the H2 reflects this with the same shortcomings. It still has a way to go to get better. The older still official software on the H2 doesn't have the OTA and DLNA issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)