Anyone noticed that getting Blockbuster disks at home has suddenly slowed to a crawl?

When I set it up yesterday it was available now, today it is Medium Demand.... yeah right! :)
Well to play along I added Cloud Atlas yesterday as well. Its the only thing in my queue and it shows as available both yesterday and today. But is it.. :cool: And here we are 2 hrs later and.... now its Medium Demand.... its so funny it hurts......:eek:

Last edited:
Yeah, I like to know how BB@H picks the movies they're going to send out to their customers. I get the picture of a big room with many people in it. 50% of the people have great big bowls with slips of paper in them. The slips of paper has our name and address on them. The people with the bowls pick a slip of paper and hands it to a person who doesn't have a bowl. The other 50% who are without bowls, have a big dart board with all the movies listed on it. That person opens the slips of paper and reads the name and address on it. Then that person takes a dart and throws it at the list of movies titles. That person then see if that movie is in the queue of the name on the slip. If it is, they mail that movie out, if it's not in the queue, then the slip of paper goes back to the original bowl person to be added back to the bowl. Then another slip is drawn, and it starts over.

This would explain titles changing from available to medium demand in a matter of minutes, and it would explain why it takes so long to get something sent out from your queue.

Just a thought.
Ghpr13:)

Firmware shows it is up to date. I reported it and they are sending a different copy. Will see if that one works. Barely want to see the movie, it is the only one available out of the 26 in my queue. And most of them are not new. Last time I actually TALKED to a bb rep she laughed when I told her "to have 10 available titles in my queue" I would have to have 300 or more movies in there, and even then there isn't a guarantee to have 10 AVAILABLE.
received replacement copy, same problem . Evidently the copies are from a different region or something. Who knows? I just mailed it back.

dennis, what is the movie you are trying to get?
Certainly no Oscar winner :). Breathless
A Texas housewife turns murderess after discovering that her criminal husband was planning on keeping the take from a big robbery all to himself, but finds her options quickly shrinking as a concerned sheriff and a tenacious private detective show up determined to crack the case. When Lorna (Gina Gershon) married Dale (Val Kilmer), she knew he was a small-time crook. But when Dale commits armed robbery and attempts to keep his $100,000 payday a secret, Lorna goes off the deep end, and shoots him dead. Hatching a plan to run away with her best friend Tiny (Kelli Giddish), the hair-trigger housewife searches desperately for the money when the local sheriff (Ray Liotta) comes knocking on her door, and a nosy detective (Wayne Duvall) shows up searching for clues. Now, the only way out is to discretely dispose of the body, and somehow escape without getting caught. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

In a year and a half with BB@Home, I have received and watched over 150 movies. I average 10 a month. I do have a local store. I only pick movies from the released this week list. They always go into the higher demand list., but I have 42 movies in my queue and 15 a now available. As a movie becomes now available, I move it to the top half of my queue. If the demand changes, I move it accordingly. I always pick movies at my local store that are not available "now"online. In a year and a half, I have only received 1 broken disc, the disc always ships the day after I turn in my disc at my local store. Most mvoies take two days to get to me. Once in a while they take three days and Once four days. My disc are mailed from Atlanta. I live 300 miles away in Pensacola, FLorida. I can't help but think that most of you are creating your own problems, by choosing only BluRays or having disc at the top of your queue that are not "now" available. :)

Sometimes I can't understand why subs want to blame other subs for the problems were having with BB@H. Yes, I pick only Blu-ray disc, but that one of the "perks" BB@H uses to advertise the difference between BB@H and Netflix. Getting Blu-rays at no extra charge...BB@H doesn't have any disclaimers stating that Blu-rays may not be always available. Also, some subs seem to totally miss the point here. The problem with BB@H is that the turnaround time on discs has gotten very bad. It wasn't always bad. At first there were very few complaints, but now this turnaround problem is widespread. The posting in this thread are not from just a few individuals that are never pleased, the posting are from subs who are tired of having to wait 3 to 4 weeks for a new disc to be mailed out to them. That' not what BB@H service should be like. Another thing, for those who read this thread on a daily basis, many of us who had BB stores that we could use to return discs have been shut down. Only a few "lucky" ones still have BB stores they can return discs to.

As far as filling up your queue with "Available" movies, well I've made reference to this in other posts, if you want to see a bunch of crap or old movies that have already played on TV a few times, then fill your queue. IMO, this service is to be able to see movies that you weren't able to see at the movies. Not ones that just came out, but you should be able to see any 2011 or most 2012 movies that are out on DVD, Blu-ray or not.

For those who are happy with their BB@H service, God bless, but quit putting the rest of us down because we want what the service is suppose to supply.
Ghpr13:mad:

In a year and a half with BB@Home, I have received and watched over 150 movies. I average 10 a month. I do have a local store. I only pick movies from the released this week list. They always go into the higher demand list., but I have 42 movies in my queue and 15 a now available. As a movie becomes now available, I move it to the top half of my queue. If the demand changes, I move it accordingly. I always pick movies at my local store that are not available "now"online. In a year and a half, I have only received 1 broken disc, the disc always ships the day after I turn in my disc at my local store. Most mvoies take two days to get to me. Once in a while they take three days and Once four days. My disc are mailed from Atlanta. I live 300 miles away in Pensacola, FLorida. I can't help but think that most of you are creating your own problems, by choosing only BluRays or having disc at the top of your queue that are not "now" available. :)

In other news, women get raped because of the way they dress. :rolleyes:

The whole system is screwed up. I have 35 movies in my queue. 5 are available NOW. Those are the top 5 in my queue. My queue is set to Speed: Send my next available movie as quickly as possible..you would think that they would send my #1 choice, but they sent #5. At least I am getting a movie, but I went to my queue now and the first 4 still show as available NOW. I guess it is random by the computer or picker.

The whole system is screwed up. I have 35 movies in my queue. 5 are available NOW. Those are the top 5 in my queue. My queue is set to Speed: Send my next available movie as quickly as possible..you would think that they would send my #1 choice, but they sent #5. At least I am getting a movie, but I went to my queue now and the first 4 still show as available NOW. I guess it is random by the computer or picker.

Dennispap,
Read post #663 for your answer.
Ghpr13:)

received replacement copy, same problem . Evidently the copies are from a different region or something. Who knows? I just mailed it back.
Dennis, I saw a problem report about Panisonic players and the 3D bluray of Hugo that mirror your experience. It is a player issue. Most of the time people could get the discs to play be reloading them multiple times and/or leaving the disc in the player and turning the power off and back on. These discs worked across numerous other players but the Panisonics just didn't like them. Once the people got them playing, they would immediate load and play every time afterwards. Very weird issue, definitely a hardware issue. I'm sure it's the same thing with this disc you were trying to view. Sometime companies do weird little things in manufacturing that some players don't like. This is why there have been so many disc-specific firm-ware updates over the years. Sorry to hear about your issues though. Awfully frustrating.

Dennis, I saw a problem report about Panisonic players and the 3D bluray of Hugo that mirror your experience. It is a player issue. Most of the time people could get the discs to play be reloading them multiple times and/or leaving the disc in the player and turning the power off and back on. These discs worked across numerous other players but the Panisonics just didn't like them. Once the people got them playing, they would immediate load and play every time afterwards. Very weird issue, definitely a hardware issue. I'm sure it's the same thing with this disc you were trying to view. Sometime companies do weird little things in manufacturing that some players don't like. This is why there have been so many disc-specific firm-ware updates over the years. Sorry to hear about your issues though. Awfully frustrating.
Thanks for the tips. I did take them out and reload a few times, but i didnt turn off the power. I will try that if i get the same problem again. And my machine is a panasonic.

I had the same distro center as you, I am in Tallahassee yet I had nothing but problems.I don't only watch new releases either.On a good shipment it would be 8 days between when something was sent out,i woukd get it and they would get it back.I don't have a local blockbuster either.With 3 out at a time i was lucky to get even 16 a month.For someone who turns around quickly that is unacceptable.

Don't know if it's my USPS or the fact that you have a local blockbuster, as to why our experiences differ when we have same distro.

Sometimes I can't understand why subs want to blame other subs for the problems were having with BB@H. Yes, I pick only Blu-ray disc, but that one of the "perks" BB@H uses to advertise the difference between BB@H and Netflix. Getting Blu-rays at no extra charge...BB@H doesn't have any disclaimers stating that Blu-rays may not be always available. Also, some subs seem to totally miss the point here. The problem with BB@H is that the turnaround time on discs has gotten very bad. It wasn't always bad. At first there were very few complaints, but now this turnaround problem is widespread. The posting in this thread are not from just a few individuals that are never pleased, the posting are from subs who are tired of having to wait 3 to 4 weeks for a new disc to be mailed out to them. That' not what BB@H service should be like. Another thing, for those who read this thread on a daily basis, many of us who had BB stores that we could use to return discs have been shut down. Only a few "lucky" ones still have BB stores they can return discs to.

As far as filling up your queue with "Available" movies, well I've made reference to this in other posts, if you want to see a bunch of crap or old movies that have already played on TV a few times, then fill your queue. IMO, this service is to be able to see movies that you weren't able to see at the movies. Not ones that just came out, but you should be able to see any 2011 or most 2012 movies that are out on DVD, Blu-ray or not.

For those who are happy with their BB@H service, God bless, but quit putting the rest of us down because we want what the service is suppose to supply.
Ghpr13:mad:

Since this is in reference to me I will respond

When I was a blockbuster member, I only had available titles in my queue and 8 day turn around times were good for me.It is valid and understandable to be mad at that.I am renting titles that are AVAILABLE and they are still slow.

I thought it was common sense to rent or have movies in your queue that you know are AVAILABLE.If you have a queue of say 30 titles and ALL of them are MEDIUM Wait or worse.You think this person who actively chooses to only add titles to the queue they can clearly see aren't available aren't to blame?Of course nothing is gonig to be sent out Blocbkuster clearly says in your queue they are low/out of stock.

Not even going to acknowledge your comments that there is a direct correlation between the quality of a film and the date it's released.

Since when is being honest considered "negative"? Others could have said that you were "drinking the kool-aid" about the service. The service was great for me, until my local store closed. But now the weaknesses of it can't be covered up by in-store exchanges anymore.

Just like you accusing me of "drinking the kool-aid" because I HAVEN'T had all the issues that others have had...

As you can see above, I didn't accuse you of "drinking the kool-aid". I said that you could have been accused of that. Reading comprehension is your friend. ;) And besides, that doesn't excuse the fact that you were basically "blaming the victim". Honestly, what good is this service if you can't reliably get new releases?

As you can see above, I didn't accuse you of "drinking the kool-aid". I said that you could have been accused of that. Reading comprehension is your friend. ;) And besides, that doesn't excuse the fact that you were basically "blaming the victim". Honestly, what good is this service if you can't reliably get new releases?

I've not "blamed the victim" at all. I've pretty much just reported my (normally) good experiences as a counter-point to the bad experiences in this thread. Maybe I don't understand what I read, but at least I bother TO read. :)
Passive-aggressiveness aside, it sucks that the peeps here can't get the releases they want in a timely manner. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if I get the newest movie immediately after it comes out, just as long as I get any one movie in my queue every week. BB@Home has always been, to me, a free perk to a package I was already paying for. In addition to the Hollywood hits, I get lots of independent and foreign films I wouldn't normally get to see (since my brick and mortar closed) without purchasing. It has been a win-win for me. I would not recommend BB@Home on the disc by mail service alone, but as a perk to the channel package, I would. :)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts