Anyone tried the R5000-HD

rburriel

Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Oregon
I'm just catching up on this R5000-HD thing and I'm really curious about it. I'm sure this is a question that could go out to the whole SatelliteGuys.US community, but I'm more interested in its specific capabilities when it comes to Shaw Direct (*Choice).

I see at least one vendor [ame="http://www.amazon.com/R5000-HD-Digital-Recorder-Motorola-StarChoice/dp/B002ZYWSXQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260570564&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: R5000-HD Digital Video Recorder Kit for Motorola/StarChoice DSR series: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wKeZj0JzL.@@AMEPARAM@@51wKeZj0JzL[/ame] (actually it's Nextcom themselves) for $250. Coupled with a DSR-505, that would make an excellent substitute for the clunky (in my opinion) PVR-530. A drawback of the DSR-505, though, is that it's only one tuner so you could only record one show at a time. But if you're using it only to supplement your American TV watching, that may not be an issue. Plus, time-shifting Canadian satellite programming is easy. I like that you can interface it with Windows Media Center (although there's still a big question mark when it comes to Windows 7 right now) and thus share the recordings with any Media Center Extender, and that it records to TS format which means that you can view natively with any set-top box that recognizes that format or convert it easily to something else. So... questions:

1) Does it work? Is anyone running the R5000-HD with Shaw Direct?

2) How easy is the installation of the hardware mod? I picture three options:

-- Buy the mod, do it yourself to a DSR-505 you've purchased elsewhere (I see two used 505's selling for under $100 on eBay right now)

-- Send a DSR-505 to Nextcom and have them mod it. Do they do that? Their web site is less than forthcoming about this.)

-- Buy a modded DSR-505 from Nextcom. Again, their web site is less than forthcoming about this... For instance, is this a modded 505 or just the mod hardware? I can't imagine it's just the mod hardware. Buy the mod for $250 from their Amazon.com store or $430 from their web site? No, it's gotta be an already-modded DSR-505.... in which case, it's a bargain since a new DSR-505 retails for $200. You're saving $20 by buying the the modded DSR-505 rather than the unmodded DSR-505 plus the mod hardware.

3) How easy is the software installation? Those screenshots I see do not inspire confidence.

5) Can you use it with Windows 7 (specifically, with Media Center in Windows 7) or is that still in the works?

6) This isn't pirating, is it? I'm wanting to go above board with this. I'm all for bending the rules a bit (Canadian satellite in the US, voiding the warranty by cracking open your box, recording to a non-authorized device), but I'm not looking for free satellite.

Thanks,
rburriel

P.S. Assuming I understand the Nextcom site correctly and they are selling a modded DSR-505, can I buy any run-of-the-mill elliptical dish to go with it or are the Shaw dish proprietary in some way? What specifications should be looking? Thanks again!

At this point the mod will only work for HD for a short period.

The 505 (& 530) have a slot for a MPEG4 circuit board. However Shaw Direct will not be going this route. They will be releasing DVB-S2 MPEG4 receivers (605 + 630) before moving HD to MPEG4 rather than swap out MPEG4 capable 505/530s with existing customers.

"what you talkin bout willis?" :eek:

What exactly is a short time?.

The Dishnet 211's are MPEG4 capable and is working just fine with my R5000HD.

I have a R5000HD modded 505 and I would hate to see it go and not to speak of my $349 bucks :p
HTML:

The time frame will depend on when the 605 firmware is stable enough for release. There has been talk that the French HD channels will be converted first.

At this point the mod will only work for HD for a short period.

The 505 (& 530) have a slot for a MPEG4 circuit board. However Shaw Direct will not be going this route. They will be releasing DVB-S2 MPEG4 receivers (605 + 630) before moving HD to MPEG4 rather than swap out MPEG4 capable 505/530s with existing customers.

I think we've had more than our share of unfortunate deaths from people holding their breaths waiting for the 605 + 630 to come out. Now, humor me and let's see if I understand this correctly.

The R5000-HD records only MPEG-2 streams, yes? And when it comes to Shaw Direct, MPEG-2 means HD. And as soon as Shaw switches to MPEG-4 for their HD streams, then the R5000-HD won't work any more, yes? Except what happens to all the people with the old 505/530 hardware? Do they get free new hardware?

Shaw is using MPEG4 8PSK right now for their HD on the 505/530

heck CBC Regina (298 on old channel maps) is 8PSK SD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts