Apple Announces new iPhone 5

The camera is another great feature of the iPhone 5. I continue to be impressed with the quality of prints I get, particularly if they are outside shots.

Rumors floating now on Wall Street that Apple has plans for an iphone mini. While many others are going larger ( Samsung) in their phone screen real estate, Apple is taking a lesson from it's ipad mini and may release a new iphone mini with all the features of the iphone 5.

Not rumor but fact, worth mentioning is that the ipad mini is a huge hit in China and sold out last week with sales exceeding ipad 4 world wide.

Disclosure- I sold all my long positions in Apple early in December to take profits due to looming tax increases next year but already bought all positions back as the stock hit new lows. I am now in hold status on Apple and plan to keep adding to my core position with any pull back. For any thinking about buying, Apple is still selling at a 20% discount due to the end of the year tax sell-offs. Any considering selling for lower tax impact, today is the deadline for that. If holding Apple in a Roth IRA, don't worry about it. :)

I don't think going smaller on their smallest product will be as big of a hit as going smaller on their largest product.

I don't think going smaller on their smallest product will be as big of a hit as going smaller on their largest product.

I understand where you are coming from -- but maybe there's a market for one. You'd have to have superhuman vision or have reading glasses / magnifiers to make out the screen at normal viewing distances though ;)

I still think offering optional phone service on the ipad mini would be a big hit. Apple would then have the largest phone screen!

I still think offering optional phone service on the ipad mini would be a big hit. Apple would then have the largest phone screen!

If you are able to JB it you could use it as a phone. Unfortunately, no JB for it. I don't know if there ever will be one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

If you are able to JB it you could use it as a phone. Unfortunately, no JB for it. I don't know if there ever will be one.

That would be bad news for the JB community. Wouldn't impact me but I know many would be upset.

I think the real reason they do not offer it is that it would point out that the iPhone is way over priced. A 16GB iPhone 5 is $649 without contract. 16 GB iPad mini with cellular is $459, even the iPad4 is cheaper at $629 and you get a much larger screen and battery.

I think the real reason they do not offer it is that it would point out that the iPhone is way over priced. A 16GB iPhone 5 is $649 without contract. 16 GB iPad mini with cellular is $459, even the iPad4 is cheaper at $629 and you get a much larger screen and battery.
Well, the'd have to price the mini with voice over cellular higher, of course! ;)

As for the larger battery, it's got the bigger screen to light up.

A nano phone would just devalue the brand. We can't have that. :)

Well, the'd have to price the mini with voice over cellular higher, of course! ;)

As for the larger battery, it's got the bigger screen to light up.

A nano phone would just devalue the brand. We can't have that. :)

It really would help to justify the $130 cellular radio cost. Apple has managed to never lower that price even though it is cheaper now...

It really would help to justify the $130 cellular radio cost. Apple has managed to never lower that price even though it is cheaper now...

Apple loves to maintain their margins. So if costs go up on component X a lower cost on Y could easily offset it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Rumors floating now on Wall Street that Apple has plans for an iphone mini. While many others are going larger ( Samsung) in their phone screen real estate, Apple is taking a lesson from it's ipad mini and may release a new iphone mini with all the features of the iphone 5.
What lesson did Apple learn with the iPad Mini?

I can't imagine finding much encouragement from the sales it has posted thus far.

What lesson did Apple learn with the iPad Mini?

I can't imagine finding much encouragement from the sales it has posted thus far.

What were you expecting? 100% market share? Apple stated that ipad mini sales were the highest of all ipad sales in the first 2 days and continues strong. But the actual numbers won't be in until they report 4th qtr in a couple weeks.

The lesson learned was that a smaller tablet form factor does work and has public appeal contrary to what the worshipful Steve Jobs claimed. Kudos to Tim Cook for moving ahead on this hunch. Whether he can and even will announce an iphone mini remains to be seen as it was just an analyst speculation not even backed up by any supplier leaks. The logic behind the prediction makes sense, not for a whole new direction movement but to fill a gap in the supply of smart phones that some people may want smaller, not Samsung-larger.

I don't see a market for a screen smaller than an iPhone 4.

Maybe they can shrink the bezel on the sides and the unused space at top and bottom to make a physically smaller device.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

I agree, John. But apparently the Rumor pushers on this are recognizing the many in the world that still cling to their basic cell phone and just talk and maybe text. It's those people using the small phone that these analysts are referencing to increase the size of the smart phone market. I don't believe that these iphone mini's will be able to use full web pages but I remind myself that my wife successfully used her LG env3 for a couple years. It could do many things a smart phone can do but the phone's screen was quite small. The thing that made the LGenv3 work was that it still had a hard keypad, and opened up to look like a micro laptop, not a touch screen.

Personally, I find the iphone5 size just a bit too small for my liking. The Thunderbolt is perfect for me.

BTW- there were more reports today on the finance channels that Apple would be announcing an iphone mini, before the iphone6.

Rumors are rumors and are often based on wishful thinking. It doesn't matter what size a new iPhone is, they will continue to lose worldwide market share with that in the lineup as well.

But saying that isn't looking at it from all directions. Yes, their % of smartphones sold worldwide has decreased but unit sales are up. Both can happen in an overall market that is getting larger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)