Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Any word on what will be included in the new OS? I had heard they were working on wireless sync (including updates). That would be much appreciated as I think it is a real pain to plug it in all the time. Would also greatly appreciate my iTunes being backed up online.

Well, I finally found something about the iPad that I don't like (other than the standard things that all people don't like about the iPad in general that I won't rehash here.) Apparently iOS has some issues with PDF files that use JPEG2000 compressed images in them, and I had to do some research to find out I have to re-create the PDF files manually and re-compress those images. Thank god I have a copy of Acrobat available, but it is a rather odd error to have to deal with. Basically I got a copy of a Silverlight book in PDF and I'm going to use it to teach myself Silverlight, because I'm sick and tired of being turned down for jobs because I don't know how to use develop for it.

I'll wait until a JB comes out for it. Many of the features included on iOS5 I already have with Cydia. The one I really cannot do with out is my location spoofer APP.

Fewer and fewer people are jailbreaking now since the need to has diminished greatly with each successive iOS.

You can thank the JB community for setting the foundation for the new features that come with each release. Almost every time Apple adds a new feature it was first developed and/or made popular through Cydia. iOS 5 is no exception. If I did not subscribe to MLB.TV and watch games on my iPad and iPhone I probably would not worry about jailbreaking anymore once iOS 5 comes out as it contains pretty much everything else I use on Cydia

Interesting, the iCloud aspect of the iPad iTunes app is active. I now have access on my iPad to every song I have ever bought on iTunes. Very cool. It happened automatically, maybe because my iPad is in developer mode? Anyone else have a purchased tab in iTunes?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Some observations after an evening of playing with iOS 5 on my iPad 2.

You must have iTunes 10.5 beta to use iOS 5. You can't update your device without it.

The AppStore now has a "Purchased" button between "Categories" and "Updates." Selecting this allows you to view the apps that you have purchased and determine which are on your device and which are stored in the cloud. This makes it easy to move things to and from the cloud.

A "Messages" app has been added for sending free text messages via wifi. I don't know if this can send to or receive from cell phones not on a wifi connection yet, but I'll be looking into that later.

The "Reminders" app is a nice To-Do list that can store locally or in the cloud. I've already found this app to be a nice addition.

A "Newsstand" app has been added to handle your periodical subscriptions. I haven't subscribed to any periodicals so I have no idea how well this works.

Multitasking Gestures are part of the upgrade and they work well.

Stroking down at the top of the screen displays your notifications. I don't get a lot of notifications unless there is a storm in my area so I won't know how well this works until it starts raining...

The iPod icon has been replaced with a Music icon.

Operation of the device is pretty much the same as it always was.

You can choose to do your backups to the cloud if you want. Doing this disables the backup to iTunes when you connect the device to your computer - syncing still occurs, but no backup. Backing up to the cloud only transfers your app data, not the apps themselves since they are already stored in the cloud servers.

If you connect the iPad to a power connector when the screen has blanked it will attempt to backup and sync the device via wifi or the cloud. I really like this feature.

The only problem that I've encountered so far is that one of the apps that I have in development won't restore. I suspect that I've lost a provisioning profile and will need to manually restore it. Otherwise, iOS 5 seems pretty solid after my brief time with it.